• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Silk Spectre (Watchmen fanedit) by Mark Moore

I did some work on this tonight. I've decided to go with the comics' chronology as far as the dates go. I've added some spaces to each date, so they should be completely visible on-screen (although I won't know for certain until I burn another test DVD).

I've lowered the volume on all of the added music and will see how that works.

All that I have left to do is type new closing credits and work on the extras (some short scenes from the original DVDs and a trailer).

I worked on the extras tonight. The deleted/alternate scenes run a total of 13:12. There's room enough on a DVD5 for both the feature and the extras - plus some room left over for a trailer, which I'll work on next.

I worked on the closing credits tonight. I opted for a combo of newly-typed credits (cast, some other important people, and the songs), which scroll first, followed by a fade in to the Director's Cut credits for the rest of the info. I gotta smooth out the end a bit (it probably runs a bit past the end of the song), but the edit's basically done. If interested, I can upload the opening and closing credits for you to take a look at them.

I'll soon be ready to make my second test DVD. Trailer coming fairly soon.

Did you make sure it's the same font? Otherwise it'll be quite jarring.
And personally I'd put them behind one another so there's no interruption in the credits.

Kal-El said:
Did you make sure it's the same font? Otherwise it'll be quite jarring.

I don't know which font is used in the closing credits.

Kal-El said:
And personally I'd put them behind one another so there's no interruption in the credits.

Behind one another? I'm not sure what you mean.

I mean that if you put your own credits first, and let them roll off screen, then it would appear the credits are finished.
Then suddenly a new set (the original) of credits appear where you had them 'fade in' as you say.
Wouldn't fading them in be kind of unnecessary? Credits are usually white on a black background.
Credits roll out of screen, you have a black screen, then fade to black :confused: and then show the rest of the credits?
Personally I'd just type the whole credits anew, custom ones and the remainder of the original ones, but that's just me.

What I meant was, you have your own credits (matching font type preferably) and then right underneath you paste the new credits so everything keeps flowing naturally and no one notices the difference/transition. :)

Kal-El said:
Personally I'd just type the whole credits anew, custom ones and the remainder of the original ones, but that's just me.

That's an awful lot of credits to fit into one song. Since I'm including the original credits as a bonus anyway, would it be acceptable to type up only the major stuff (actors, directors, producers, writers, and music)?

Kal-El said:
What I meant was, you have your own credits (matching font type preferably) and then right underneath you paste the new credits so everything keeps flowing naturally and no one notices the difference/transition. :)

I have no idea how to do that.

It's done! Well, the movie is, anyway. I retyped the entire credits. I reduced the font, so they won't scroll as quickly (though it's still perfectly legible). The final, last-minute edit? Correcting the spelling of Laurie's last name. :oops:

I want to rip my Tales of the Black Freighter DVD, because there's a brief mention of Laurie in the "Under the Hood" feature that I want to add as an extra. I also need to edit a trailer. I'll probably work on both tomorrow, since I'll have another day off from work.

Anyone willing to do the cover/disc art for this?

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, do you have any particular ideas in mind?

My first suggestion would be to use art from the Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre comics, because Amanda Conner's art is always lovely:
silkspectre.jpg

1175965.jpg

There's also a lot of fanart out there that might be of use:
silk+spectre.jpg

ssbootref.JPG

silk_spectre_by_mouadlordovdark-d5c24im.jpg

Those first two are great, I'd also suggest using one of those :)

Those first two ARE great. The first one, especially, is super-cute. Unfortunately, they're not representative of the time period of the movie, which is very much 1980s (moreso since I've added the Devo songs), and Laurie is 35 (almost 36).

I had been considering this:

Silk_Spectre_Wallpaper.jpg

Or this:

Silk_Spectre_Poster.jpg

Second one, in that case. It's badass and pretty much represents who she is: a sexy woman that can floor you in a heartbeat.

Extras (except for the "Silk Spectre" trailer) are done. Here's a breakdown:

*excerpts from "Watchmen" pertaining to Laurie, including photos, discussions, alternate (theatrical) shots, and the unaltered alley fight with the original audio - 13:24

*excerpts from "Under The Hood" pertaining to Laurie - 5:47 (includes closing credits)

*excerpts from Chapter I of the "Watchmen" Motion Comic pertaining to Laurie - 7:31 (includes closing credits)

*"Watchmen" theatrical trailer - 2:20 (it's not on any "Watchmen" DVD or Blu-ray release, so I included it from the "Tales of the Black Freighter" DVD; originally 4:3, I converted it to 16:9)

I'll work on my trailer tomorrow.

OK, so since I'm a comics guy I figured I'd start by emulating the classic design used for the Watchmen collected edition, which ended up looking like this:
15478213672_30d35ea8d8_o.png

But after doing that, I was thinking about the fanart I posted the other day, and thought it might be nice to have a collage of some of it, which I'm not entirely happy with but is ok:
15478213482_352c92ef13_o.png

Then I figured "What the hell, in comics having a bunch of variant covers isn't that unusual, so let's just have fun with it!"

15478579495_89c1646ab9_o.png

15475435581_bd7fabb0a4_o.png

Then I found a really nice poster that was used to promote the film on its initial launch, and thought that it was far too good to not use:
15478212932_45d17d7dbb_o.png

These are all just the front cover parts of full DVD cover art - I'm waiting on a blurb to put on the back. I've not been able to find any high-resolution images to suit, but I'd really like to have a 9-panel grid of comic panels showing parts of Laurie's life on the back, with a still of her punching/kicking directly towards the viewer and shatterign the central panel. Failing that, it'll just be a selection of suitable shots showing important moments in Laurie's life.

(Also, [MENTION=9920]Mark Moore[/MENTION] has a fortuitous surname for an edit like this :D)

Those are some sweet ass covers. I particularly like the 3rd cover down, it reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series for some reason.

Those are some great covers! :)

That One Guy said:
But after doing that, I was thinking about the fanart I posted the other day, and thought it might be nice to have a collage of some of it

Using fan art seems like of iffy. Wouldn't we need the permission of the artist?

That One Guy said:
Then I figured "What the hell, in comics having a bunch of variant covers isn't that unusual, so let's just have fun with it!"

That sounds like a neat idea. Would it be acceptable to have multiple cover options?

That One Guy said:
Then I found a really nice poster that was used to promote the film on its initial launch

Ah, yes, that poster. I love it. The reason that I didn't present it as an option was because it was set in the 1970s, which is such a small part of this edit (we actually don't even see Laurie do any fighting her in glory days, although we didn't in the comic either). It could be available as an option, though,

That One Guy said:
I'm waiting on a blurb to put on the back.

Yeah, I'll think that up on Thursday and get it to you.

That One Guy said:
(Also, Mark Moore has a fortuitous surname for an edit like this :D)

Wow, I'd never even thought of that - not even recently when I added Alan Moore to the closing credits.

Um, no relation. I'm from a Polish family, and my family changed its last name to Moore when I was very little (probably around a month old). Why Moore? My sister liked this:

fans.of.the.saint.tv.series.the.roger.moore.years

To be honest the fanart one hasn't come together as well as I'd liked, it needs either a background or central elememt that can pull it all together and stop it looking like a disjointed set of images in different styles.

As to the rest of them, I think multiple covers couldn't hurt - you can have the first one as your official choice and then the others as extras :) The only thing I really want to change is to make the text over the images a bit smaller, at its current sizs it seems to hem the cover images more than I'd intended.

Lots of edits have multiple dvd covers. There's no difference between which is which. You decide what poster will be used on the fanedit website, etc, but dvd covers are aplenty.

Trailer's done. I'll upload it after work.

Gah. Tried uploading the trailer, but Daily Motion selected the French audio track somehow, and the music wasn't playing at all. I took the video down and will try an MP4.

Back
Top Bottom