• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Silent Hill: Red God Remix

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
shredgodremixsl2.jpg

FanEdit Information
Type of Fanedit: True Fanedit
Intention With This Edit: To develop a better version that was more akin to the video game horror series that inspired it.
Original Titles: Silent Hill
New Title: Silent Hill: Red God Remix
Original Runtime: 125 minutes (2 hours, 5 minutes)
New Runtime: 95 minutes (1 hours, 35 minutes)
Time Cut: approximately 30 minutes
Software Used: Sony Vegas 7 (video editing), Adobe Photoshop CS2 (image editing), Sony Sound Forge 8 (audio editing), Sony DVD Architect 4.5 (DVD authoring)

DVD Information
- DVD Format: NTSC - DVD5 SL
- Region: 0 (region-free)
- Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, 16x9 widescreen
- Audio format: 5.1 Dolby Surround
- Language: English
- Custom DVD Menus
- DVD Extras: Fanedit Trailers - "The Matrix Evolutions" & "Noir Simulacrum"

Major Edits/Changes
Cuts: No Christopher character
Yeah, kind of a "no duh" idea - frankly, this character had absolutely no purpose in the film to begin with, so he's gone (just like in the other SH edits).

Changes: Flashbacks/Exposition is kept to a minimum
Only included the 'Flashback' sequence that Rose sees when she enters the Red God's Room (and even that has several edits and cuts to it). Any other flashback not related to this sequence is removed from the film.

Changes: Allessa, the witch
Tried to make the Allessa character a much more ambiguous figure than she was in the original film.

Cuts/Changes: The Townspeople
Made the cult/townspeople and their actions against Allessa/Sharon much more ambiguous and less judgemental (they are no longer strictly 'evil').

Cuts/Changes: Dark Allessa = the Red God
In the film, it's never really specified who this character is, except it calls itself the 'dark part' of Allessa and seems to have a Devil undertone (which isn't that clever of an idea, in my opinion). In the games, one of the things I liked in the series mythology was the idea that there were various "gods" that existed in the land of Silent Hill, where their purpose was to lead the people faith to the true God. In this version of the story, this character is now one of those gods.

Changes: Dark Allessa's voice
The voice of this character/creature has been dubbed/altered so that when it speaks there are several different voices merging as one (that idea came from another game "Shadow of the Colossus", where the God's voice had several different people speaking together as one).

Cut/Change: Ending
The film now ends without Rose & Sharon returning back to Christopher and their home (no 'land of ghosts' ending).

Additional Cuts/Edits
- Removed some of the more cheesy/overdramatic speeches of several characters
- Removed several obvious greenscreen footage
- Removed many of the 'close-up' shots of the creatures in order to increase the suspense and tension of the horror scenes

DVD5-SL Version
Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

So has anyone had a chance to check this yet? :-?

Maybe today or this weekend.....

Just finished watching this.

The last time I saw Silent Hill was some awful TS version where half the time I couldn't see what was going on - because of this, I could barely remember the plotline - so this is somewhat fresh. I do remember it being slightly convoluted in places regarding the storyline.

First up - the picture is nice and clean and images sharp.
The sound seemed fine to me, but I don't have a 5.1 or anything just your standard 2.0.

The editing - well, I didn't notice a single thing. Not a single thing, no audio out of place or harsh cuts. Nothing there. I had to come back here to read what Jason had chopped. So seamless.

I enjoyed the film immensely and it all made perfect sense.

A few things worth considering.

- The very start of the film is still intact which means - Sean Bean is still intact. That entire scene for me is redundant and better left on the cutting floor. We don't then get Sean Bean and a clue as to what's going on. And as Sean is NOT in the rest of the film, the start feels a bit wrong. IMPO, start it with Rose and Sharon in the field.

- Now I don't know if this was in the original (and it might have been) but there did seem to be a couple plot holes:
* - Rose locks herself in the bathroom, but then seemingly runs out without unlocking.(In original)
* - Rose is outside, runs away from anvil-head thing and is suddenly in a corridor.
* - How does the policewoman know her name is Rose? (In original)

It could be that these holes were in the original - so clarification would be good.

Overall - I really enjoyed this - I didn't miss Sean Bean at all, which goes to prove how bolted on he was. No real problems except the above. 5/5 :D

white43 said:
- The very start of the film is still intact which means - Sean Bean is still intact. That entire scene for me is redundant and better left on the cutting floor. We don't then get Sean Bean and a clue as to what's going on. And as Sean is NOT in the rest of the film, the start feels a bit wrong. IMPO, start it with Rose and Sharon in the field.
I tried opening the film with the field scene and just didn't care with how the edit played out. It was too "light", if that makes sense - it also had an important plotpoint to Sharron's sleepwalking/nightmare illness, so I didn't want to cut it. I also wasn't bothered by Sean Bean's brief appearance at the beginning, since Rose then mentions to Sharron that he won't be going with them on their trip to SH.

white43 said:
* - Rose locks herself in the bathroom, but then seemingly runs out without unlocking.
Hmmm... beats me. I think that part was also present in the original version.

white43 said:
* - Rose is outside, runs away from anvil-head thing and is suddenly in a corridor.
I tried to make the cuts/transitions as seemless as possible here, but this sequence had a scene with Sean Bean's character in the 'real' world sandwiched inbetween which I needed to remove.

white43 said:
* - How does the policewoman know her name is Rose?
Didn't cut anything from that part either, so it must also be another error in the original.

Back
Top Bottom