• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
itKJCu9.jpg

While I've been on my hiatus from major contributions, I've been busy. Using the many helpful guides here, I've more or less cracked HD editing, and am ready to share my first completed project:

Silent Hill: Homecoming
This is a fan edit of Silent Hill: Revelation and a sequel to Silent Hill: Restless Dreams (which also got an HD makeover
...more on that coming soon!)

When I first saw the film in theaters, I was conflicted. The atmosphere of the film was great. Michael J. Bassett really captured the horror of Silent Hill in a way that made it a lot more terrifying than the town depicted in the first film. The problem was, at least to me, was that the film was peppered with jump scares that don't really mesh with the idea of Silent Hill, at least, my idea of it. There were also some curious alterations to the story and nature of the town's cult that, while more in line with the games, didn't quite mesh with the first film.

Truth be told, I almost didn't do this one, but in my eternal quest to try and polish up films that may have had some potential, not to mention my curious OCD of making complete series, it got done.

Run time is now at 81 minutes, down from 95.

Here's a cutlist:
The color of the edit has been altered similar to the HD retouch of "Restless Dreams" (spoilers!):
- Scenes in the Otherworld have been given a reddish tint.
- Scenes in the Fog World have been given a blueish tint.
- A 50% black and white filter has been added to scenes where the Silent Hill dimension invades the real world, in addition to whatever tint is normally added. I kept the red tint for scenes with monsters (for example, the mall, the homeless man Heather sees before meeting Douglas, and so on). The blue tint was kept for a few scenes where non-hostilities take place (primarily the school when Heather is looking into the class rooms).
- The sanctuary under the amusement park was kept red. Unlike the church in the first film, the Darkness IS present here, there are just no monsters. Except for...haha, not gonna spoil that bit. :)

Individual changes:
- The Universal Studios logo that was added at the start for the Blu-ray has been removed.
- Removed the awkward hang time from when the Silent Hill logo fades out to when the actual nightmare starts.
- Removed the Memory of Alessa's "You cannot defeat me. Do not come to Silent Hill."
- Removed the awkward dream-within-a-dream of Harry getting killed (if you're gonna kill Sean Bean, do it for real!)
- Removed Heather referencing her second dream.
- Removed Harry's line "It's been so hard since you brought Sharon back to me."
- Rose flashback changed to black and white.
- Shortened the classroom introduction. That teacher is an insult to teachers everywhere. It starts with Heather saying "This is the fifth school..." when she is walking away from Douglas.
- Shortened the elevator sequence in the mall so that Douglas is grabbed by the Missionary right when the elevator stops.
- Re-arranged a few shots in the bus sequence to remove "Fuck Facebook!"
- Removed Heather telling Vincent "I need your help" when he comes to her door.
- Removed the cops busting into Heather's house and saying that she was a murder suspect. Goodbye plotline that was never followed.
- Changed the flashbacks during the car ride to black and white.
- Flashbacks during Dahlia's scene changed to black and white.
- Mannequin spider scene cut.
- Removed Claudia referring to Christabella as her "sister." If she meant it literally, then Vincent snogs his cousin. If figurative, the Order changed their tune towards Alessa in the past 10 years.
- Removed Heather saying "Leonard" when she arrives at the asylum.
- Removed the shadow passing in front of the screen when Heather is searching for Leonard's records.
- Removed the Faceless Lobotomy monster attack.
- Removed Leonard's "come closer so I can touch you." Creep.
- Heather now shoots Leonard after he shoves the Seal into his body, made to look like a panicked reaction.
- Removed Heather being attacked by the psychos in the asylum and being saved by Pyramid Head. He should still be chanined in the carousel!
- Removed a 40 second pan around of the nurses before Vincent is brought into the room. It was probably cool in 3D, but gratuitous here.
- Shortened the confrontation with the Memory of Alessa on the carousel. It's now much more to the point, with Heather not questioning if Alessa a demon and if she created the nightmare. This also removes the problematic line that "everyone has a different nightmare in Silent Hill." This was true in the games, but thus far in the story, this is not the case. I will happily go back on this change if a third film is ever made that explores what Harry got up to, who was on that prison bus (shoutout to Downpour) or a prequel starring Travis Grady (the trucker at the end).
- Removed Harry's "you're everything I could have wished for." That struck me as...odd.
- Added Radha Mitchell (Rose) and Erin Pitt (young Alessa in a few scenes) to the end credits during a rather awkward bit of nothing. Besides, if Deborah Kara Unger gets a credit for only one scene, why shouldn't these two?

I've been working on this for a while, so there might be some other nips and tucks I forgot to mention, but here's the gist!

Release formats will begin with an MP4 file, followed by a BD-25 and DVD-5 release as time goes on. The BD will include two extra features: the opening sequence of Silent Hill 3 (the game) having been recreated with scenes from the film, and a 21 minute edit of Christopher's story from the first film, not unlike something Spence included on his Silent Hill edit. I'm planning on including those on the DVD as well. We'll see how space figures out!

Stay tuned folks! I'll be adding more info soon, and I'll be making an IFDB post as soon as the cover is done.

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this today and well, I wasn't impressed. I agree with most of your ideas, although I'm not one much for tinting/graying things. That just does nothing for me, other than it sticks out and takes me out of the film. But that's just me, don't care about that.

Obviously we're going into SPOILER TERRITORY here!

Cutting the cops busting into the house - yes. Completely pointless.

Harrys "you're everything I could have wished for", don't know what's odd about it? A dad confessing his love for his daughter?

Mannequin spider was a very cool idea which I didn't see coming. In fact, we were ridiculing it and how horror films always seem to have a scene set in a warehouse full of abandoned mannequin dolls, and then that came. However, it is totally superfluous and the other girls disappears at once anyway. I would have left it in, but with the opening of the scene shortened a lot.

Lots of sneaking around waiting for jump scares has to go. Probably most of the jump scares as well.

One thing that annoyed me was how obvious it was that Vincent isn't just a regular guy. He takes everything she says at face value with no evidence. Then, surprise!, he's been in on it the whole time. Not sure how to tackle that though.

Good luck with this!

Zagadka

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm, it would be an interesting experience to see it.

Is that true that US DVD doesn't contain deleted scenes?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zagadka: True, I'm afraid. It's a shame, because I would have been more than happy to use a couple of them.
Cactus: The cops were involved in a longer plot that was cut at some point between writing and shooting. I tried to reduce them as little as possible, but I could only do so much. I cut a handful of jump scares, but I left a lot of the "sneaking around" in because, to me, that's part of what makes Silent Hill scary: walking around waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever does. And then when something does? Scares the stuffing out of you. And you know, there wasn't a whole lot I could do with Vincent, not without shooting new scenes. :p If it makes you feel any better, try to imagine him taking what she says at face value as part of his act being a boy who is smitten with her. That's not all that far off, either. :p

EDIT: The deleted scenes are available on the UK Blu-ray, but not on the US. I didn't know about the deleted scenes until I was too far into production to really do anything about them. But! Once I find myself with some extra cash, I'll import the UK BD and do a slightly extended version if any additions seem appropriate. :)

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update: This has been submitted to the IFDB! :D

edit0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my... I actually thought this was one of the worst Hollywood films I have ever, ever seen. Everything seemed wrong, from paper mache Valtiel, to mirror-dialogue-with-the-wife, from the non-SH-OST to Sean Bean not dying...

I will give this a curious watch, but would be more interested in a revised-edition, incl. deleted scenes, re-vamped OST and basically trimmed down to 45 minutes. :-(

Don't mean to rain on your parade, I just really, really hate that film, and wonder if there is SOMETHING salvageable in there... I liked Adelaide Clemens though, she's good in everything she does, even if the film is terrible.

Maybe a completely "nightmarish" edit would suit this one best, where the scenes are ordered out-of-order... but I seriously don't know what copuld make it "work"... Maybe a "ONCE UPON A TIME IN SILENT HILL"-3-hour-edit?? :D

On a different note: I re-watched the first Silent Hill a few times, and have fallen in love with it! A lot of it makes sense to me now; it seems almost like a mainstream David Lynch movie (which I take over his post-IL output of music videos and obscure shorts, really). Thus, I am REALLY looking forward on that edit of yours, as it will surely provide a different POV on that film. So while this one here might not make me excited, the new SH:RD-HD is certainly what could be top-5-edits of the year.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[MENTION=9850]edit0r[/MENTION] - I don't blame you for your trepidation. I certainly didn't reinvent the wheel with this edit, but I certainly gave it my best shot. I feel that it's an improvement over the original cut, but I created it so of course I would say that. :p

With that being said, I have a feeling you'll love Restless Dreams. Have a look at the cut-list for the SD version and see what you think. The HD version builds on that and runs at about 99 minutes in length...over all more tightly edited. I'll have more info on that soon. :)

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The BD-25 version is finished! It came out great (well,I think it did!) and should be available through the usual channels soon. In the mean time, PM me for links if you're interested. I've also got the MP4 links handy too. :D

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a quick update: after much deliberation, I decided not to move forward with the DVD-5 version of the edit. The BD making process was a big drain on me given how many times I had to redo the disc, and I just don't have it in me to continue working with Homecoming. Those wanting the MP4 version will still have access to all the extra features present on the BD-25 version, though.

I'm not abandoning DVD as a format, however, as I know MP4 or BD isn't for everyone. I hope y'all aren't too disappointed. :(

F13thFreak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys!
I just got the BD-25, however I cannot seem to crack the password to unpack the .rar. I thought it would be fanedit.org, that doesnt seem to be doing the trick! Is anyone willing to help me out with this one?

Thank you!

Top Bottom