• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Shut Up! Consecution

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
shutupconsecution3dart.jpg

This is the sixth consecution project with various faneditors working on a theme.
(after Batman, Zombie, Chase, Space and Marvel)

This time the main goal was to make short edits without any character speaking.
No text cards allowed for dialogue.
Songs were alowed (but no character singing a song)

The short edits you'll find are:

- Rêverie, by Rogue-Thex
"A fanedit about the dreamy relationship between a writer, his characters and his muses."
(This short is a bit open to interpretation but this line was approved by Rogue-Thex)
Movie: 2046

- I am Will Smith, by Leeroy
"Will is trying not to go insane, alone in this desolated city."
Movie: I am a Legend

-Carry That Weight, by NJVC
"The Story of the Beatles told with various old video recording and still pictures... and in music!"
Movies: Beatles Anthology.

-The List, by hebrides
"Harrison Ford and Christopher Plummer are on a mission during WWII, behind enemy lines"
Movie: Hanover Street

-Death Tango, by TMBTM
"Harrison Ford thinks his wife is cheating on him, and sneak around to find the truth"
Movies: Regarding Henry + Frantic

-Schism, by Neglify
"You never know what's on the mind of those kids today..."
Movie: Elephant.

-The Journey of Superman, by g1orkatsos
"The first mission of Superman"
Movie: Superman Returns

-Reunited, by Adabisi
"A father with a broken heart tries to survive his every day life."
Movie: Jacob's Ladder

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought this was a great collection. Interesting concept and some very well done shorts. Lots of fun to participate in and watch. Easily one of my favourite consecutions. Standouts are The List, Schism and Death Tango.

Short reviews:

Carry That Weight - I'm not exactly the biggest Beatles fan in the world, but this was a neat little biopic. 7

Schism - Now what I am a big fan of is Tool, so I was excited for this one. When Schism kicked in I had a big smile. And that quickly turned into disorientation when i realized it was just the bass track... Which was perfect... And then you even get some jazz and odd sound effects thrown on top. It seemed so jarring and out of place, yet perfectly complemented the story. Well done. My only complaint is that it was too quiet compared to the opening music. Great story otherwise and a neat little wink-wink, nudge-nudge with the film editing student. 9

The List - Just fantastic. Great action packed story and the audio editing is nothing short of brilliant. This is what a short film should be. 10

Reverie - Great editing, visuals and music but, to be honest, I couldn't make heads or tails of what, if any, plot or story line was going on here. Sorry. 5

I am Will Smith - Great visuals and well edited but not much of a story. And, especially with the odd placement of the credits, it felt like the first 10 minutes of a feature length film, not a self contained short film. Which I guess was the intent, but it didn't go anywhere and left too many questions to be a satisfying short. 6

Death Tango - Great story with some interesting, creative editing choices. Not your typical mind-blowing TMBTM edit, but very enjoyable. 8

The Journey of Superman - Simple story of the creation of Superman, his first feat and the victory lap afterwards. Lots of squeaky clean fun and well edited. 8

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many thanks for the review, Adabisi (my first ever!) :)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I could ask, under whose name has this been released?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review:

What a great consecution this was. Marvel was the big fun franchise series, this was the artistic "thinking man's" series.

My favorite edits were "The Journey of Superman" and "Reunited". And none of them were outright duds in my eyes.

This was the breath of fresh air the consecutions needed.

Reverie - 9/10
I really liked this one. Was a nice art house fanedit. Visually and auditorily stunning. After 2 views I may not fully "get" it but I was highly intrigued by it and it made me think about what I was watching. I was astounded by the number of different sources blended together.

I Am Will Smith - 8.2/10
This was pretty cool. I especially liked that you didn’t reveal anything in the end. I haven’t seen I Am Legend in a while, but basically this would be the perfect way to structure the first act of the film if one did a full-length edit of it. Big props for the music used. Two thumbs up on that.

Carry That Weight - 8.8/10
This is a hard one to review. It doesn’t have a narrative per se, it’s more like an extended montage of the Beatles’ history. That’s not a bad thing at all, but it seemed a little, I don’t know, disappointing? Anyways, the editing was top notch and I especially enjoyed the songs you used and how you veered away from chronologically going through songs. The slideshow interludes between songs was great! As a musical montage, it’s excellent. As a short story on film, not so much. (Maybe I’m overthinking it and it’s not meant to be a “short story on film” but whatever.)

The List - 8.1/10
It took me two sittings to get all the way through this one. The first time I watched it I was distracted by how many times we see characters talking with no audio. Watching it a second time, it felt more like a silent movie without the title cards, so I was able to get into it more.

Great accomplishment telling the story without dialogue. I was able to get invested in what was happening despite my unfamiliarity with Hanover Street. I feel that it could have been better if it had sound effects, at least for the big action sequences.

Death Tango - 9.4/10
Very French. Maybe not French enough though. I liked it.

Schism - Didn't rate/review
I think this is way too pretentious, but I like Tool and Pink Floyd.

The Journey of Superman - 9.9/10
Easily my favorite short in the Consecution. Great short about who Superman is and how awesome he is. Editing was fantastic. If I hadn't seen Superman Returns I wouldn't have known anything was cut from the plane sequence. You did cheat a little bit, as the crowd yells "Superman!" a little bit at the end. I won't hold it against you though.

Reunited - 9.8/10
My close-second favorite short. Perfect storytelling. (I would be remiss if I didn't point you also slightly cheated...)

I highly recommend watching Consecution Six - SHUT UP!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the review, Neg! Point taken about the sound effects. I did consider putting them in, but I had a pretty narrow window of time to get this finished before starting my new job, and I've always been a fan of truly silent films with orchestral accompaniment, so I wanted to see how well I could get the music to sync up with/punctuate key moments. Glad you like it overall anyway! :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Leeroy uploaded his short to Vimeo, added to the IFDB page:

I also uploaded my short to Vimeo, added to the IFDB page:

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the dvix of this. Very entertaining!

Just a few things:
The List didn't do it for me.
The Journey of Superman didn't do it for me.
Neg's edit is awesome!
Adabisi's edit is awesome!
The rest were very good!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for your honesty, Rogue. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. If you wouldn't mind, please PM me with specifics.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Rogue, glad you enjoyed it.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reverie rebue, posted on IFDB:

Even though there's not much of a narrative, I still felt I could float on this stream through the visuals and music alone. It's an impressionist collage, and the sooner I stopped trying to find a story, the sooner I could ease into the experiential flow and project bits and pieces of past loves onto the screen and have them return to me in mutated, cinematic form.

Enjoyjoy: 9 pelvic aero-thrusts.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No apologies necessary Heb. :) Ill get notes to you when Im able. If its any consolation, the end title was beautiful!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the rebue, ssj! Thanks for the review njvc! (and Neg too) Adabisi's views on the edit is perfectly valid, but I'm overjoyed that even one of you, let alone three, enjoyed it in a way I intended. :)

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For anyone interested, here is my Beatles Consecution short. I forgot that it was posted on the youtubes a while back... If possible, could an admin plonk this over on the ifdb page too? As [MENTION=10624]ssj[/MENTION] would say, shank you berry much :)

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reunited now available for streaming.

Top Bottom