• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Show you loved that ended way too soon

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leeroy said:
garth marenghi's darkplace
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397150/

only one series made (6 episodes) and a spinoff but it's one of the best uk comedy shows in recent years, it has such a small but cult following. just wish we had another series so we could have more of this :D

[video=youtube_share;GjOEcoMy2fI]

This was a great show. More would definitely be welcomed!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tales of the Gold Monkey. Indiana Jones meets Magnum PI meets Baa Baa Black sheep.
Ba Ba Black Sheep

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Life had a decent ending. Loved that show.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Flight of the conchords
Well after the radio plays and live performances, FOTC used up most of their material for the first season, I think they struggled to come up with songs for the second season which is why some people (not me) thought some of the songs were lacking.

baileym43 said:
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.
off the top of my head, that's all i can think of that hasn't already been mentioned. there are some great short lived shows listed here.

If we're including cartoons, then Spider-man 1994 ended on a cliffhanger that I would have liked resolved and The Pirates of Dark water would have benefited from at least another season (or at least a modern reboot, pirates are in again now right?)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omaru1982 said:
Well after the radio plays and live performances, FOTC used up most of their material for the first season, I think they struggled to come up with songs for the second season which is why some people (not me) thought some of the songs were lacking.

I actually think the second season songs are better than the first.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stargate Universe...Firefly...The Prisoner (Jim Caviezel)...Persons Unknown...Invasion

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I actually think the second season songs are better than the first.

Exactly...or not quite, both seasons playlists have their strengths and weaknesses.

And I just remembered another series that should have lived beyond its 2 seasons. Code Monkeys, the ET episode alone is a work of genius.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brimstone: Show about a dead detective who's brought back to life by the Devil so he can return 113 souls who escaped from Hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series)

New Amsterdam: Show about a 400 year-old New York City homicide detective who's immortal. And no, he's not a vampire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_(TV_series)

Both shows aired on Fox.

Murder: Reality series that aired on Spike where two teams investigate a murder and have 48 hours to try and solve it. Each episode was based on a real case investigated by the host, Detective Tommy Le Noir. Each team visited an exact replica of the original crime scene and had to gather evidence, look at interrogation footage, and visit the morgue.

The show's site no longer exists, the show aired in 2007, but you can watch the full first episode here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(TV_series)

Murder In Small Town X: Another reality show based around murder. In this one a group of 10 contestants were brought to a small fishing village where a murder had occurred. The contestants had to search for clues and interview suspects. At the end of each episode two contestants were chosen and each given a map. One map would lead to a clue, and the other would lead to the killer. Both contestants would take a cab to the location on their maps and had a camera, which iirc was attached to their heads. The contestant who had the map which lead to the killer would then be "murdered". The finale aired on September 4th, 2001, and a week later the guy who won was killed in the September 11th attacks on the World Trade Center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_In_Small_Town_X

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Brimstone: Show about a dead detective who's brought back to life by the Devil so he can return 113 souls who escaped from Hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series)

Daaaaaamn!  I haven't thought about Brimstone in forever!  I loved that show...never saw the end.

Some I'd add that never got a fully-resolved ending:
Deadwood of course (but...yay!)
Cracker
Dollhouse
The Tick ('94)
Agent Carter
Lois & Clark
Mork & Mindy
Studio 60
I second Spider-Man ('94) and My So-Called Life
and this one probably nobody knows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_(2006_TV_series)

And I'd have to disagree about Angel.  They had just started so many storylines going in new directions in the past season, 2 seasons.  So many loose ends.  And you can't end with a huge battle and not show any of the battle!  Big let down for me.  Glad that continued it in a comic, at least.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES

PENNY DREADFUL

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rome (2005-2007) - Game of Thrones before GoT except it effectively got cancelled after the first season and given a 10 episode 2nd season to wrap up it's proposed 4/5-year arc in a rush.

Father Ted (1995-1998) - Has to be in the Top-5 greatest ever sitcoms. The 3 series and 25 episodes are flawless but the sad death of star Dermot Morgan meant it ended way before it could've.

Not really one I loved but a continuation of one I did...

Crusade (1999) - Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski was setting it up for another huge 5-year arc (and the groundwork was begun in S5 of B5 and a bridging movie). Okay the 13 meddled-with episodes we got weren't great but the show was never given a chance.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • The 4400 (2004–2007)
  • The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (1993–1994)
  • The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police (1997–1998)
  • Amazon (1999-2000)
  • Crusade (1999)
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (2016-2017)
  • Earth 2 (1994–1995)
  • Freakazoid! (1995–1997)
  • Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog (1998–1999)
  • Night Visions (2001–2002)
  • The Odyssey (1992–1994)
  • Superman: The Animated Series (1996–2000)
  • Threshold (2005–2006)
  • Total Recall 2070 (1999)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SonofSinbad said:
The Walking Dead

Uhhh...you know this is still going, right?

TM2YC said:
Rome (2005-2007) - Game of Thrones before GoT except it effectively got cancelled after the first season and given a 10 episode 2nd season to wrap up it's proposed 4/5-year arc in a rush.

I've seen a lot of people bring up Rome!  It's strange, as someone who watched it all after the fact, I feel like the two seasons stand on their own pretty well.  Each tells its own story.

I mean, I could've watched another season as good as the first season, but if a 3rd season dropped in quality as much as the 2nd one did from the 1st, then I'm happy with the two seasons we got.  They went out on a high note, and managed to wrap things up and not have a cliffhanger.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The big one that's on my mind right now is Tuca & Bertie. It was an amazing piece of animation that touched me on so many levels, its portrayal of anxiety, depression and abuse were on point. Buuuut Netflix cancelled it because the team behind it joined a trade union...

At least BoJack got the time it needed to tell a complete story. Unless Hanawalt finds another tv channel/streaming service to fund and host it, looks like Tuca & Bertie will be a one and done... :(

Top Bottom