• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Show Biz

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like there should be a topic about the general movie business. It’s a topic that interests me and, I hope, others. I feel like I’ve seen some threads that address the business side of the industry such as Disney’s acquisitions. But I’m hoping that this can be a good place for general discussion, hopefully including people with a firsthand knowledge.

My impetus for starting this today was a discovery I made while rabbit holing on another subject. I happened to discover that the highest grossing film of 2021 is a movie I’ve never even heard of. It’s a Chinese comedy called (in English) “Hi, Mom.” It’s grossed nearly $1B at the box office in about 8 or 9 months.

Now, this has obviously been an unusual year at the box office and I’m sure another film would’ve taken the crown if not for COVID. But you can’t ignore those numbers. And obviously studios are not. They are desperately trying to make their movies appeal to more and more demographics.

I think the (mostly white male) American audiences like to scream that movies are too “woke.” But I’d argue (rather plainly) that “wokeness” has little to do with it. There’s profit in representation. I’m not so cynical as to believe that there aren’t people that see other benefits as well, not to mention a vast pool of talent.

But the raw numbers of “Hi, Mom” show that global appeal is going to be of paramount importance going forward, especially for large budget blockbusters. I wonder if anyone is more familiar with “Hi, Mom” or has any firsthand knowledge of the business strategies being employed at the major studios.

I hadn't heard of "Hi, Mom" before. Where were you able to watch it? I can't find it on any streaming services.

I hadn't heard of "Hi, Mom" before. Where were you able to watch it? I can't find it on any streaming services.
I haven’t watched it. I just happened to see that it is the top grossing movie of the year. And that was surprising specifically because I hadn’t heard of it. But my point is that it really shouldn’t be surprising. China (not to mention India and really all of Asia) is a huge market.

Back
Top Bottom