• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Should I credit myself as an editor in my fan-edit?

Hannoon

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have just finished a fan-edit of the Hobbit trilogy, and I was wondering if I should put my name in there...
I don't like to pretend that I am a part of the movie making process, because I'm not, the movies are already complete, I only removed the unnecessary scenes and storylines that overshadow the good stuff, but if I don't add my name then people may confuse my work with other fan-edits of the Hobbit trilogy... so, how do you usually go about that?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you want you can put there "A fanedit by...", "Re-edited by..." or "Hannoon presents a fanedit of Peter Jackson's Movie" (I did that in my last edit, didn't add anything like that in my previous edits) or add a logo at the beginning, but there is no "should".

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always do it. To diferentiate my version from the original, and also because, the internet being the internet, one never knows who can come across an edit by chance and unknowingly take it for an official version due to not knowing any better.

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't, but I also don't put in the end credits either, so I feel that all balances out. I don't really have to worry about mine being mistaken for the original, it very clearly isn't. I just don't like credits, watermarks or any of that stuff in general, I find it a bit tacky. Just a personal preference, I have no problem with others putting it in (as long as it isn't watermarked throughout the whole film, no forgiveness for them). I wonder how many people really just stumble into these edits, rather than deliberately searching them out, anyway?

Movies Remastered

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I usually add a logo at the start and try to sneak my name plus "re-edited by" in the credits. It's just a bit of fun so do as you feel is right for you.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always do it. To diferentiate my version from the original, and also because, the internet being the internet, one never knows who can come across an edit by chance and unknowingly take it for an official version due to not knowing any better.
This right here. A fanedit should, IMHO always be easily identified as NOT the original work. Now we can place FE.org logos at the beginning, and we can place our fanedit disclaimers about owning the source material, but people can always carve that out. Regardless of wanting to 'give yourself credit' or not, by placing your 'fanedited by' within the title sequence or within the end credits, it helps ensure that the project is clearly identified as something other than the original version that was released.
But also, honestly, if you make something good enough to be listed on IFDB, you deserve the acknowledgement. The viewer is going to experience something that YOU created. You put work into it. Creative work. Technical work. It's not inappropriate to make that simple distinction. Again, IMHO.

Movies Remastered

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, I've been collecting fan edits for year. Several of my favourites I've acquired along the way don't have any mention of who made them or when so it's really difficult to recommend them as titles or to reconnect with the editors now. I'd say 100% add something about yourself if you're proud of the work you've put in.

Top Bottom