• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Shortening the Void

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit Film Name
Shortening The Void
Brief Synopsis
Oscar, a small time drug dealer living in Japan, is killed while meeting a friend. His spirit relives moments of his life, focusing on his sister and the events leading to his death...
Faneditor Name
-
Firstling Name
MrGone
Tagline
Do you remember that pact we made?
Original Film Name
Enter the Void
Studio Name
IFC Films, MPI Media Group
Genre
Drama
Franchise
-
Fanedit Type
TrueFan Edit
Original Running Time
161 minutes
Original Release Date
May 5th, 2010
Fanedit Running Time
68 minutes
Fanedit Release Date
Feb 5th 2011
Amount of time cut.
93 Minutes
Intention
I saw the original film at SXSW 2010. I didn't care for the movie. I thought it was too long and drawn out. I thought it had some interesting ideas, and the cinematography was great, but unfortunately for me the movie didn't work. But, it stuck with me and the more I thought about it, the more I thought it could be made into an interesting short film. So that's what I set out to do. In the end, I was surprised it ended up being as long as it was. I kept the story focused on the main character, the relationship he has with his sister and the events leading to his death.
Edit Details
I sat down Adobe Premiere and didn't stop until I learned enough to edit this movie.
Cut-List
There is really too many cuts to mention. I left roughly the first 20 minutes untouched, only editing down the DMT trip sequence. I cut down the flashback material relating to the main character watching his sister working in a strip club. I also removed most of the later half of the movie which involved the ghost of the main character silently watching his sister and friends. I also ended the movie differently than the original release by using a few key scenes in a different way. Note: The cut to black after the final scene is intentional. Because of the nature of the original film, the direction I wanted this story to take and the fact that the credits are front loaded I decided a cut to black would be best.
Special Notes/Thanks
-
Technical Info
Adobe Premiere CS5 for the editing. Magic DVD Ripper to extract the movie. Nero Vision for the dvd creation.
Release information
  • Single Layer DVD
Special Features
I included the teaser I made as an editing test.

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for getting this posted! I hope anyone that sees it enjoys it.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The editor was nice enough to send me a DVD copy of this and here is my review:

I kinda enjoyed the original version of this and this fanedit is a slight improvement. It is a tighter leaner version and doesn't lose any pivotal plot from the movie. The ending is good but it could really use some end credits or a The End card or something. The fade to black is a really sudden stop. I enjoyed this for what it is, a shorter more condensed version of a loooooong boring movie. The movie is still boring even in it's shorter length but it is alot easier to digest now then it is in it's original form. I would give it a 2.5/5

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you very much for checking it out. I appreciate it.

About the ending, since all the credits were front loaded, I wasn't sure what to do at the end..so I just went with the cut to black. It was harsh, but it worked for me. Of course, I know this isn't just for me...but I was really torn on what to do. So, I just went with the cut to black. I thought it was fitting in some ways.

Anyway, thank you very much for watching it!

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone interested in me trying to find a new home for this(I previously had it on MU)? I wasn't sure it got enough attention to warrant a new home, but if someone is interested, let me know.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can put it on MediaFire with a free account. Works like a charm.
I think it will be more easily approved if it's actually available for download.
If you're not going to reupload it, you might as well close this thread.
No harsh words intended, but it makes sense, don't you agree? :)

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I do agree. But it was up for like a year before MU shut down. So, I just wasn't sure if was something anyone really cared to see(admittedly it's an obsecure movie of sorts).

But sure, I'll check out Mediafire and see if I can get it reuploaded and the container file rebuilt.

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, made a Mediafire account and got it all uploaded. I sent a new container file to the New.Fanedits gmail account. :)

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there somewhere else I should have emailed the new file to? Haven't heard anything back..

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shortening the Void Review by Neg

PLOT - This shortened version of "Enter The Void" loses a lot of material from the original but still has a clear-cut beginning, middle and end. The source movie itself is very loose in terms of plot and this edit sticks to the loose structure without losing anything too valuable.

EDITING -
Video editing - I had no problems with the video editing. For the most part I couldn't tell the difference between your cuts and the source cuts. 10/10
Audio editing - Again, no problems with audio. 10/10

QUALITY -
Video - The original is intentionally grainy and blurry and the edit looks same. 8/10
Audio - 2.0 audio was used instead of 5.1 audio. 8/10

ENTERTAINMENT - I really didn't like "Enter The Void". I thought it was overlong and tried too hard to be different. Mr. Gone has made what he calls an "Experimental Short Version" of Enter The Void. I felt that it worked wonderfully. The story is now much clearer to me and I didn't feel like blowing my brains out while watching it. 8/10

DIFFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL - Do not expect this edit to be a "FanFix". This is a "FanMix" and is not meant to be viewed as a traditional movie. This is an experimental short fanedit and it works well.

PRESENTATION - Simple DVD menus. Mr. Gone included a 6 minute "teaser trailer" that is really more like a music video tribute to the movie. It was really nicely put together and I suggest watching that to see if this edit is for you. 9/10

OVERALL RATING - 8/10

scaled.php

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have moved this thread from Firstlings to True Fanedits. I also added the 6 minute teaser video in the original post.

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whoa...thank you!! I appreciate the review and the approval!! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the edit. I know the original movie wasn't for everyone, but I was hoping that someone else wouldn't mind a shorter version.

So thanks for taking the time to watch and review this. I'm really glad to hear you liked it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now available on NewsGroups. PM me if you want it. (The MF version is dead.)

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for hosting it.

Yea, one of the links for the mediafire dlc file died. I reuploaded the missing file and tried to email in a new dlc file. Not sure if they go it, but I have the dlc hosted on my site.

Sorry one of the files died, not sure what happened.

Top Bottom