• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Shipwrecked: The Adventures of Håkon Håkonsen

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I would consider this "owning" as far as our own the source rule goes

Yes me too but I wasn't talking about the "own the source rule". I was talking about in reality, you don't really own files like this, since it can be taken away at a future date but this is getting off the point. I was just pointing out that the movie can be bought in HD somewhere, even if a blu-ray isn't forth coming.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought of going the iTunes HD route,  but I'm pretty sure their version is full screen last time I checked it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fullscreen HD?  How have we not won this war by now?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I've been adding the PAL surround track into the audio mix and I'm noticing that Norwegian score mix for the movie is different than the British and American versions. This may make things a bit more difficult, but I do like a good challenge :)

Here's the US poster version for this edit
SaoHH%20Poster_zpsfg5pzwca.png

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reworked the Title cards/intro
[align=center]

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ very noss, DMF, working in your moniker into the cover art!

since the subject is now plural, you might want to reconjugate the verb to "present"—which should be easy. just scrub out the "s" in "presents." (be aware that'll create some alignment issues with the verbiage above and below.)

also, perhaps you can make your moniker a little larger to approximate the size of "walt disney pictures." after all, you're a valuable player in this edit. :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sound advice ssj. Here is the new and improved.

SaoHH2_zpssjcedwpz.png

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rendering preview file. If you are interested in viewing it please send a PM

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update, for anyone interested.

Since the Norwegian surround track doesn't align musically with the other formats, I've decided to create the FL/FR, LFE, & RL/RR surround tracks using a phase invert fx approach in audacity. I'll also be applying some eq/resonance filtering for the LFE track in Vegas.

Here's a basic rundown of invert fx using audacity.​
[align=center]

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just did a bunch of research into the HD versions available for this film and it looks like the highest resolution is 720p. After watching a clip of the 720p cut on iTunes, I'm thinking it's not worth the $18 for the digital code.

Good news on the surround sound efforts. Instead of using the above procedure, I used audacity's built in vocal remover and it produced comparable surround tracks that had all of the ambiance and music with just a bit of vocal lines heard. Perfect for a surround track.

I'll be messing around with rendering settings this weekend (camping the rest of the week) to produce a ~4gb MP4 file and a DVD. I'll plan to release them with both 5.1 surround and 2.0 Stereo (I suppose I could do 2.1 with the LFE).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! I hadn't thought of "Shipwrecked" in years, and then I just coincidentally thought of it yesterday! Good on you for taking on a cool little off-the-beaten-path project. ☺

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Tom!
This movie is a huge part of my childhood and just an all around fantastic family flick. I'm happy that I get to share it with my own boys.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sacrificed some sleep to make this new poster and dvd cover. What do you all think?

shipwrecked-poster1.png

shipwrecked-dvd-cover8.png

Found this great online resizer to help make the front artwork large enough for the case.
http://www.photoenlarger.com/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cover looks very nice. It looks all trayshur map-ish. A few details I noticed though...

- Back cover photo is heavily squashed horizontally. Crop it instead
- Also on the back, it looks like "A d venture A waits!". Adjusted the spacing between those letters
- To my eye the spine looks like it could be too wide for a standard DVD case (or at the limit anyway), so when inserted it might wrap around the sides

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Cover looks very nice. It looks all trayshur map-ish.

Thanks! :)

- Back cover photo is heavily squashed horizontally. Crop it instead

This is actually exactly what I did, the cropping. The video was untouched from the source. I've since A/B'd it against some online screen captures and it appears that my sourced video is actually too stretched rather than squashed. I'm wondering if this is because I removed the black borders when I made the lossless AVI? Perhaps this messed with the way the video is displayed in the selected aspect ratio?

- Also on the back, it looks like "A d venture A waits!". Adjusted the spacing between those letters

Fixed! :)
shipwrecked-dvd-cover10.png

- To my eye the spine looks like it could be too wide for a standard DVD case (or at the limit anyway), so when inserted it might wrap around the sides

It is deceiving in that those borders are not for the spine. They act as inner borders for the front and back panels. Here's a version with white lines signifying the spine borders.
shipwrecked-dvd-cover-with-spine-outline1.png

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to scrupulously review the cover. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
It is deceiving in that those borders are not for the spine. They act as inner borders for the front and back panels.

I realised that, my eyesight isn't that bad :D . It looks like it will just fit from your example but I've also noticed that your spine is not in the dead center. It's couple of mm too far to the left, meaning some of the text will wrap around onto the back.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see what you're saying now. I'll shrink that down a bit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And it's done! Thread moved to Special Projects

Top Bottom