• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

She-Hulk in Marvel tv-series

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two months ago Marvel's Kevin Feige announced the upcoming live-action She-Hulk tv-series for Disney+. Few details were given, besides the confirmation that the Hulk will make appearances (played by Mark Ruffalo). This is the logo:
she-hulk-disney-plus-logo.jpg

Last week the rumor was added that the series may include the characters of 'Thunderbolt' Ross (William Hurt) and his daughter Betty Ross.

I'm a She-Hulk fan. Not all iterations have stood the test of time equally well, but on the whole she is a stand-out superhero for not taking herself too seriously, (trying to) have a life outside of fighting villains, breaking the fourth wall (talking to the reader) before anyone else did. And she pulls off making 6'7" in green look dynamite!

At this time Marvel isn't confirming much, just that lots of details are still undecided. To start the thread, in anticipation of this Marvel series and in my vain hope that a Marvel exec reads this post, here's my wishlist for the She-Hulk tv series:

1) Written by Charles Soule and Dan Slott. Their storylines over the past 15 years are a fresh take on a superhero's life and all-around interesting compared to some of the staid stories that make origin stories formulaic. Watch this mini-cartoon for a good summary of Soule's writing:

2) Conceptual art by Kevin Wada. His She-Hulk is incredible. His cover for She-Hulk #2 (2014) sums up our heroine's life perfectly:
tumblr_mxpkehnCOv1qbkgzfo1_1280.jpg

And two more great Wada drawings that show She-Hulk having a life outside of fight-scenes:
tumblr_n8dgqgEASp1qbkgzfo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_od1oeir0EN1qbkgzfo1_1280.jpg

3) With sensational thanks to: David Byrne .But no actual involvement in the series. Byrne built much of the foundation of She-Hulk's character, but looking back too much of it feels like a teenage boy's fantasy of this sexy superhero.
e84e09887aba5382c2c7d2287a5306ed.jpg

4) Casting: I have no idea. I do think the 1990s idea of Brigitte Nielsen was terrible because I cannot imagine her bringing any fun to the role. So I hope for an actress who projects light-hearted fun, and comfort and confidence with her powers and appearance.

5) Tie-ins to other Marvel tv series and movies? I hope She-Hulk will make it from small screen to big screen. But I don't know the current status of her movie rights. Does Marvel own all her rights, or was some of it tied up with Universal's Hulk rights?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What do you think about the idea of Angie Harmon as She-Hulk? She expressed interest in playing her several years ago.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
What do you think about the idea of Angie Harmon as She-Hulk? She expressed interest in playing her several years ago.

That's a funny interview. She definitely has the enthusiasm for She-Hulk.

I guess it depends on whether the series will show She-Hulk all the time (a tall muscular actress may be the obvious choice), or a back-and-forth between Jennifer Walters (played by a less-imposing actress without CGI) and Shulkie (using CGI the same way that Ruffalo was professor Hulk in Endgame).

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To share in the anticipation of She-Hulk coming to Disney+ in 2022, I'm sharing my She-Hulk Playlist. 😁

Shulkie CD display.jpg

Obviously this playlist is not informed by the actual series, as it's not out yet. Let me therefore explain my sub-titles.

01 Start Me Up [Karaoke] The Rolling Stones : Look at the front cover. She-Hulk enjoys karaoke. Nuff said.
02 Woza December [Here Comes She-Hulk] Gang of Instrumentals : This could make a great theme for She-Hulk. Lots of upbeat energy.
03 Think [What Are You Doing, Bruce] Aretha Franklin : The blood transfusion is so significant in the origin story that it deserves a song. Plus, Bruce deserves a direct reference in a song [Mark Ruffalo comes to the small screen for this! 👍]
04 Big Me [Well This Requires Changes] Foo fighters
05 Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting [Fighting Crime] Elton John
06 Barber of Seville - Act 1, No.2 Cavatina Largo al factotum della citta [Fight] Roberto Servile, Failoni Chamber Orchestra : I'd LMAO if a She-Hulk fight is shown as cartoonish violence with incredibly hard punches but little impact, a la Tom & Jerry beating each other to a pulp but being fine again in the next shot (showing the absurdity of invulnerable individuals duking it out).
07 Happy Days [Hello Fans, a.k.a. The Fourth Wall] Pratt & McClain : Obvious. If not, buy more She-Hulk comics!

08 I've Got You Under My Skin [Gamma] Ella Fitzgerald : An beautiful song to underline Jen's acceptance of her new fate.
09 Relax [Titania vs Shulkie] Frankie Goes to Hollywood : Titania deserves a song, and this one's pretty spot on for beating each other up. [Jameela Jamil plays Titania! 👍]
10 Perfect 10 [Oversized] Beautiful South : For everyone who became a fan during Byrne's tenure.
11 I'm Too Sexy [It's Good to Be Green] Right Said Fred : Well, duh! I mean, surely you can picture She-Hulk singing this out loud?
12 Scary Monsters, And Super Creeps [Abomination] David Bowie : Abomination deserves a song. And this is perfectly on the mark. Extra points for the funny counterpoint to the previous song. [Tim Roth plays Abomination! 👍]
13 Das Lied im Grünen, Op.1151 D.917 [Murdock's Office] Ely Ameling, Dalton Baldwin : If Matt Murdock appears in the series, I imagine minimal music in his office. Something to enjoy but not distracting. If Daredevil isn't in Season 1, this music can be used in Holliway's office (or similar character).

14 Girls Just Want To Have Fun [Patsy] Cyndi Lauper : Patsy Walker is both the little devil on She-Hulk's shoulder and a true friend. She deserves her own song, and this fits the bill! [Ginger Gonzaga plays the best friend, perhaps as Patsy or a reinterpretation of that character. Either way 👍]
15 Moondance [No Crime Please, It’s my Night Off] Van Morrison : Imagine Patsy convinces Jen to a night out, and Jen finally unwinds.
16 Mean Green Mother from Outerspace [You Make Me Angry] Levi Stubbs, Chorus : Now imagine some @#$% villain breaking up that night out. He's going to regret this!
17 Hot Hot Hot [Phew, I Need a Shower] Arrow : She-Hulk is more in touch with the real world than e.g. Steve Rogers. He may always look and sound perfect, but in real life after a night of fighting crime, anyone would be a hot sweaty mess. Let She-Hulk acknowledge that reality!
18 Let's Get It On [WHIH Reporter] Marvin Gaye : A nod to Tony Stark sleeping with reporter Everhart in Iron Man 1. In her May 2007 comic, She-Hulk asked Tony: "How do you get away with [...] sleeping around? When you do it, everyone calls you a player. When I do it, they call me a skank. Isn't that a double standard?" 15 years later, I hope the TV series will give a satisfying answer!
19 Beautiful Day [Through Green-Tinted Glasses] U2
20 Slave To Love [Green Goddess] Bryan Ferry : She-Hulk herself insisted. 😉

21 Peter Grimes - Storm [Hulk Out - Temp Track with tempestuous energy] Metropolitan Opera : I'm not a fan of temp tracks because they can restrict composers. That said, I think this piece fits well with the danger of an angry hulk-out.
22 Monk Suite - Well, You Needn't [Aren’t You Kinda Short for an Avenger - Temp Track with humor and small ensemble] Kronos Quartet with Ron Carter

Special shout-out to Jessica Gao for writing the TV series. 😘

Last edited:

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While we wait for Marvel's delayed She-Hulk TV series, I've updated my She-Hulk Playlist to tide us over until Marvel brings us more news. Here's Version 2 of She-Hulk's Playlist.

Clearly, if the show has few or no songs, I'll try to improve on that in a fanedit. She-Hulk is one of those characters whose life should have a soundtrack. A lively, fun soundtrack.

She-Hulk%20CD%20backcover%20v2c.jpg

Last edited:

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel got quite a lot of criticism for their first version of She-Hulk's trailer. Specifically that her CGI body had moments where it was stuck in the "uncanny valley". It reminded me of NBA basketball games on e.g. Playstation: players static images and explosive action look sensational, but the moments where they move like "normal" people (e.g. a head turn or a normal speed change in walking direction) something doesn't look real. The suspension of disbelief drops out.

Marvel has updated their trailer:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That there is not Marvel's channel, that's a fake trailer channel.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm blushing now. 😖

@addiesin , good call. In my eagerness for more She-Hulk trailers / teasers, I totally did not pay attention to who posted it. I do have to give these people credit for getting rid of the most awkward CGI moments.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I'm blushing now. 😖

@addiesin , good call. In my eagerness for more She-Hulk trailers / teasers, I totally did not pay attention to who posted it. I do have to give these people credit for getting rid of the most awkward CGI moments.

Not your fault, that channel started up when Wandavision hype was high and they kept posting "next episode trailer" videos with a blurry image of Michael Fassbender Magneto as the thumbnails. Really frustrating because of course it looks legit and we're all used to official trailers getting reuploaded so the channel name slips by. They're gaming the algorithm, scammy.

Anyway I've been vigilant against watching that channel's videos in particular since.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel DID do an updated trailer though, trying to smooth out that janky CG. Honestly, the past few Marvel projects have had worse and worse CG...it's stunning. The tech is getting better, so the only explanation I can think of is them not giving the shows/films enough money and time to invest in it. They seem to just be assuming an audience is going to show up for whatever their next project is, no matter how it looks (the opening to the newest Dr. Strange looked godawful, for example, as did most of Moon Knight). It's a real disservice to people who are actually big fans of the character like Lapis here, and not just tuning in because of the MCU name. I hope this is a wake-up call for them.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marvel DID do an updated trailer though, trying to smooth out that janky CG. Honestly, the past few Marvel projects have had worse and worse CG...it's stunning. The tech is getting better, so the only explanation I can think of is them not giving the shows/films enough money and time to invest in it. They seem to just be assuming an audience is going to show up for whatever their next project is, no matter how it looks (the opening to the newest Dr. Strange looked godawful, for example, as did most of Moon Knight). It's a real disservice to people who are actually big fans of the character like Lapis here, and not just tuning in because of the MCU name. I hope this is a wake-up call for them.
There's a rumor that during coronavirus-related shutdowns when they were out of work, many of the most skilled and experienced CGI artists left their jobs at Disney and never came back (finding greener pastures instead), leaving only the "B team". I don't know if it's true or not. There's also the theory that Bob Chapek (who is a notorious cheapskate) has been cutting CGI budgets.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I search their channel for Hulk, the only She-Hulk show trailer that comes up is the one BionicBob linked. Same url. I'm not saying another doesn't exist, but they don't have it on their channel.

I agree the CG hits the uncanny valley in that it's trying to be exactly human but big and green, rather than taking advantage of the inhuman proportions that negate the uncanny valley for Thanos and Hulk. The work is probably from pandemic era, which is mostly fine/unnoticed when it's powers and backgrounds and wide shots but now we're dealing with human face and form, so yeah it's noticeable. Hope they fix it, they probably have tons of reference of Tatiana Maslany's real face, I don't understand why they wouldn't just use that and tint it when possible if it's supposed to be so close to what she really looks like anyway.

But I don't think they'll have any kind of wakeup call for it. If there's a backlash they'll just not make more of the show.

There's a rumor that during coronavirus-related shutdowns when they were out of work, many of the most skilled and experienced CGI artists left their jobs at Disney and never came back (finding greener pastures instead), leaving only the "B team". I don't know if it's true or not. There's also the theory that Bob Chapek (who is a notorious cheapskate) has been cutting CGI budgets.
The way I understand it is there isn't one Disney CG studio, there are many CG studios and they bid for scenes (Digital Domain and ILM being big examples), in this case bidding means how low they will accept being paid to deliver a shot or series of shots. These biddings already drive prices down to lower than reasonable. During the pandemic, Hollywood stopped producing films so work dried up, forcing prices of CG work down more to keep proverbial or maybe literal lights on for CG studios (WFH you still need lights).

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^The old trailer was pulled. The only thing you will find now IS the updated one. I still don't think it looks that great, and I also wish they had made She-Hulk a little bulkier and truer to her usual comics portrayal. It's the same thing DC did with Wonder Woman, casting a model to play her rather than a larger, more muscular woman. Comics companies, for all the lip service about diversity, are still not ready to depart from a traditional superheroine body type for their women.

When I said 'wakeup call', I meant more generally, not specifically about She-Hulk. Spider-Man: No Way Home is the only Marvel property since Endgame that hasn't used cheaper, more obvious CG. Moon Knight's was offensively bad. I think it's just business...instead of trying to make the best quality product, they're trying to test to see what the market will let them get away with.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^The old trailer was pulled. The only thing you will find now IS the updated one.

That just doesn't line up with available evidence and I am not sure why you're insisting so without backing that up.

If it was pulled why is the one that's up the same url as Bob's unedited post from the same day it was originally released? YouTube doesn't allow one to "swap out" video streams on already uploaded videos, so if Marvel did take down a version and replace it like you're claiming, it would have broken Bob's link and required a new url and would have a later posted date than Mar 17.

Where are you getting the idea that something was changed?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I googled it, from what l gather only the version of the trailer on Disney+ is updated, not on YouTube. So you're both right (in theory at least, it's not like l actually checked the sources myself).

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I googled it, from what l gather only the version of the trailer on Disney+ is updated, not on YouTube. So you're both right (in theory at least, it's not like l actually checked the sources myself).
Yeah, and even then it's just the same trailer just in better quality.

Spider-Man: No Way Home is the only Marvel property since Endgame that hasn't used cheaper, more obvious CG.
Really? I thought that had plenty of cheap obvious CG. Case in point the alleyway scene with Goblin, Dafoe's head looked photoshopped on. Either that or the costume is just badly made...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points

I just checked the Disney Plus version. It's got all the same shots and animation. It's definitely either a higher bit-rate or maybe just better compression on the video, but looks like the same trailer to me, other than file conversion differences. It's not like the difference between the first and second Sonic trailer. I do see articles claiming they think it's different but don't see anything from Disney saying so.

Anyway, I think we figured out where the idea is coming from at least. Thanks Jem.

Top Bottom