• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently working on vegas movie studio 14 but I'm having trouble separating the dialogue/sound effects and music, I'm trying to rescore certain scenes and add new sound effects is this possible in movie studio ? if not can anyone recommend a good program to do this

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its purely down to your source really, if the dialogue, score and sfx  are in seperate tracks originally (rarely the case) yes you can do it.  Otherwise its a long laborious job that you will need some dedicated audio software for and even then results may be pretty mixed.  As @"ThrowgnCpr"  will say its easier to rebuild the sound fx from scratch most of the time.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged. Please do a search before creating new help threads. There is a good chance someone asked the same question. And in this case, so many people asked, that we stickied the thread to the top of the forum...

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know how to remove or significantly lower the music volume in a track so it can be restored but still preserve the audio and sound effects. I’ve read some interesting things about lowering the music so much that it can be overpowered by a new track but I would like a bit more info as I’m currently getting familiar with Vegas and don’t know every trick yet, if any one knows where would these type of tools be located in the settings of Vegas could you please give me a heads up  

Thanks

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It will depend on your source and whether or not there is a clean centre channel. First step is to demux (separate) the audio and video to different streams. Some will have the music/sound effects/dialogue already separated, but that's rare. 

If you go to the technical forums then there are several tutorials on how to do this. The easiest one to follow is probably Gemini's, which is specifically for preparing a HD source for editing:

https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=5592

There are lots of other similar threads on this very subject within the same part of the forum.

Once you've done this, changing volume levels of tracks should be pretty straightforward. If your centre channel isn't clean then that's another story.

Edit: In terms of what tools you might use on a non-clean track, you can use things like gates or EQ's to cut out certain frequencies. What you need to do will vary depending on the project. Best thing to do is just experiment with those sorts of tools and see what results you get. I'm sure there are others on the forum with a bit more experience in that area than me though who can advise.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Threads merged. Please do a search before creating new help threads. There is a good chance someone asked the same question. And in this case, so many people asked, that we stickied the thread to the top of the forum...

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
currently using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and haven't had any luck separating music and dialogue/sound effects very well, the center channel usually has the music considerably lower as many of us know, but is there a way to lower that music and raise the voice and effects so a new piece of music can be added ? ive heard that some have had luck with audio ducking and audacity  but as I'm still new to editing in general id be very grateful if someone could explain to me where those options would be located under or just explain the process somehow 

Thank you

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

@"Horrifyingly Hillarous" this is now the 2nd time you have received this reminder. Future disregards of such directions will result in infractions and possible bans.

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
TVs Frink said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

@"Horrifyingly Hillarous" this is now the 2nd time you have received this reminder. Future disregards of such directions will result in infractions and possible bans.

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry, I had thought I deleted my original posting, had no idea the threads were merged thank you for notifying me

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let’s say you’ve isolated a track where the dialogue and sound effects are more prominent then the music and you want to rescore it, is there way to reduce that music and make the sound effects and dialogue louder even if it’s on the same track, I’ve put some music over it that overpoweres the original but it’s still slightly but there and the sound effects need to be louder as well as the voice to really blend, anyone have any idea if there’s a setting in Vegas that can do something like this

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I previously mentioned, you can use gates and EQ's to mix out or highlight certain frequencies. 

For example, I was recently working with a track that had some quiet music, but was dominated by the sounds of gunfire and voices. I used a gate to block out the music between the more dominant frequencies. Best way is just to experiment, but if you really aren't sure, then just look on YouTube about using those sorts of plugins.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dc5cde176fd9a369027102cd379ab0f5.jpg

If you have the choice of working in 5.1 or 7.1, is there any kind of logic that dictates one is more likely to have a clean centre channel than the other? Is it completely random? Or does it make zero difference?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The decisions taken by the mixers determine whether the center is clean, not the number of  channels. I investigated this myself, but there's no connection that I can discern: 7.1 centers sound like 5.1 ones. In other words, the increased surround activity does not seem to result in a shifting back of the music and effects. It's a nice idea though; I wish it were that simple.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been fanediting for about a year. I've finished 8 fanedits with only two of them (old Halloween sequels) actually having clear center channels. For people who have been fan editing longer than I have, is it true that more often than not there isn't a clear center channel? What about newer movies? Were I to edit something like Batman v Superman or new Star Wars, is it likely I won't be able to isolate the dialogue and sound effects? Just curious. I've edited some downright unwatchable Halloween sequels but I'm feeling editing something that people have actually seen for once!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's rare that a center channel will be clear. I only have experienced it twice with Bourne and The Matrix (mostly clear).

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I figured. Such a bummer! I get so pumped when I find a movie with a clear center channel. I did an edit of The Dark Knight and got almost everything the way I wanted it except the ending. I think what I was wanting to do will be impossible without a clear center channel. Oh well, just have to leave it as it.

DigModiFicaTion said:
It's rare that a center channel will be clear. I only have experienced it twice with Bourne and The Matrix (mostly clear).

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars is notoriously difficult to work with, it generally has all sorts of stuff in all different tracks.

There's a thread here somewhere with a list of movies known to have clean center channels, but I can't seem to find it.  I think it was started by @"TM2YC".

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no idea if this would be helpful or relevant since I don’t realky do any editing.  But there’s a program I use to help me transcribe music called Riffstation that recently went to a free model. It allows you to isolate certain frequencies. For example, you could isolate the frequencies where the guitar is in the track to allow you to more clearly hear what is happening. I don’t know if there’s a tool like that for editing. It’s not completely clear as, of course, most sounds share frequencies. But it might help.

Top Bottom