• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't had time for much of anything editing-related lately so I don't think I would re-do that video. But here's another example - the Leia Hologram clip mentioned in the ot.com thread.

Password: leia

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my Silent Running fanedit, I've found the Blu-Ray has an 'Isolated Music and effects track' and I was wondering if there was any way of utilizing this to knock out everything but the dialogue. I couldn't see any topics on this specifically!

Cheers!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
98766654321 said:
I couldn't see any topics on this specifically!

you must have missed the one stickied at the top ;)

your question now merged with that older discussion. dig around. There have been some really good results recently with one of the methods.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
98766654321 said:
For my Silent Running fanedit, I've found the Blu-Ray has an 'Isolated Music and effects track' and I was wondering if there was any way of utilizing this to knock out everything but the dialogue. I couldn't see any topics on this specifically!

Cheers!
Import the two tracks in an audio editor, line them up just right so they start and end at the exact same times. Make sure the volumes are the same, and invert the music/sound effects track. You should be left with just voices. If it works, consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY. This is not a common advantage many faneditors have available. A music/sound effects track for the SW films for example would be considered gold here.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly, I knew it was good news seeing that on the blu-ray box, because I attempted this before without it and even with the soundtrack, it was a massive, huge pain. And it barely did anything. I'll jump on that asap! Cheers!

smudger9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Import the two tracks in an audio editor, line them up just right so they start and end at the exact same times. Make sure the volumes are the same, and invert the music/sound effects track. You should be left with just voices. If it works, consider yourself EXTREMELY LUCKY. This is not a common advantage many faneditors have available. A music/sound effects track for the SW films for example would be considered gold here.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series blu rays have a music track and a voice/sound effects track. I couldn't believe my luck when I found out. Some of the music in the earlier episodes is awful, now I can just cut it out and replace it.

The Fiery Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello I know your all probably sick of hearing this god damm question, but I need some help isolating vocals.

I ripped a DVD and I transcoded it with HandBrake. I set it too AAC for mixdown and AC3 for full, I then got an MP4 which I converted using Any Video Converter into a pure AC3 file. I then split it up into 6 mono WAV files using BeLight.

I had a problem, I got two tracks with just the music on, but no just vocals. The tracks were not were they should be, such as the vocals were not in the center.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Fiery Editor said:
Hello I know your all probably sick of hearing this god damm question, but I need some help isolating vocals.

I ripped a DVD and I transcoded it with HandBrake. I set it too AAC for mixdown and AC3 for full, I then got an MP4 which I converted using Any Video Converter into a pure AC3 file. I then split it up into 6 mono WAV files using BeLight.

I had a problem, I got two tracks with just the music on, but no just vocals. The tracks were not were they should be, such as the vocals were not in the center.

not sick of hearing the question, but sick of having to merge new threads... As [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION] pointed out there are at least a couple threads discussing this, including one major one stickied.

As for "where the tracks should be" - Almost never are vocals isolated to the center. There really is no reason they would be. It can be a lot of work to isolate these elements. Good luck. SpectraLayers seems very promising, but that doesn't mean it is a one-click solution.

Many editors, myself included, have gone as far as rebuilding audio from scratch or getting voice actors to get completely isolated audio elements.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm Working on some fan edits (As usual) and a big complaint I get often is double music when I try to add a new sound track, so most often, I don't bother and keep the original sound track. But I have seen some edits that Isolate the dialog from the music (althought not great, better than anything I've ever done). Any ideas on how to do this?

I don't have vegas. I got everything adobe + anything freeware such as audacity. Any help please!

vgunn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello Fan-editors!

Please be kind. I'm new to this and want simple answers in layman's terms. Please do not be cryptic or have me hunt through all the various threads to find answers.

I'm using Final Cut Pro X (I can, upon suggestion add additional programs if needed) and the video I seem okay with--its the audio at this point I'm struggling to grasp.

I want to separate the dialog from the music.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
vgunn said:
Please do not be cryptic or have me hunt through all the various threads to find answers

Sorry [MENTION=8526]vgunn[/MENTION] but that's exactly what I'm going to suggest. Read this thread.

Threads merged.

Synovia

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't read through the entire thread to see if anyone's posted this yet, but I know how to remove any left over music from a center channel and almost perfectly isolate the vocal track in case anyone is wondering how to do that. I can create a tutorial to demonstrate how to do this.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Synovia said:
I should say almost perfectly. It depends on the particular mix.

is this a technique other than inverting the music track?

Top Bottom