• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey Tranzor, which trial version are you futzing around with, RX2 or RX2 advanced?

thatwitch

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Total noob question alert!

I have a question about when separating the channels. Are you still supposed to be able to hear what's going on in the background even though the channels were split? Even faintly? For example, I'm trying to grab the music from Nightmare 4 when Alice is preparing for her battle against Freddy. The background music is intertwined with Alice knocking items off of her dresser - which are heard being pushed and then hitting the floor, and other various sounds from her getting ready. When I split the channels I went through and listened to each one. Most of them seemed to be missing the dialogue, but those background noises still can be heard but even faintly. Is that normal or is it because this is an older film? I was hoping that once I split the channels the music wouldn't be muffled by the noises. I used DVD Audio Extractor for separating this audio and splitting the channels.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thatwitch said:
Total noob question alert!

I have a question about when separating the channels. Are you still supposed to be able to hear what's going on in the background even though the channels were split? Even faintly? For example, I'm trying to grab the music from Nightmare 4 when Alice is preparing for her battle against Freddy. The background music is intertwined with Alice knocking items off of her dresser - which are heard being pushed and then hitting the floor, and other various sounds from her getting ready. When I split the channels I went through and listened to each one. Most of them seemed to be missing the dialogue, but those background noises still can be heard but even faintly. Is that normal or is it because this is an older film? I was hoping that once I split the channels the music wouldn't be muffled by the noises. I used DVD Audio Extractor for separating this audio and splitting the channels.

Welcome to the world of 5.1 headaches. That is normal. You will have certain audio (whatever it may be) on all channels.

thatwitch

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
Welcome to the world of 5.1 headaches. That is normal. You will have certain audio (whatever it may be) on all channels.

So there is no true all music piece without the effects found within the channels? That's a complete bummer. I thought for sure I'd finally have an uninterrupted piece of music.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It depends on the movie and in many cases which part of the movie. If you don't have the clean audio you need, you will have to enter the maddening world of total soundtrack replacement. :hurt:

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
It depends on the movie and in many cases which part of the movie. If you don't have the clean audio you need, you will have to enter the at times maddening, at other times exhilarating world of total soundtrack replacement. :hurt:

Fixed. IMO. ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I suppose it is rather exciting once it's done and it worked out, but sheesh what a lot of work!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thatwitch said:
So there is no true all music piece without the effects found within the channels? That's a complete bummer. I thought for sure I'd finally have an uninterrupted piece of music.

TV's Frink said:
It depends on the movie and in many cases which part of the movie. If you don't have the clean audio you need, you will have to enter the maddening world of total soundtrack replacement. :hurt:

as mentioned by Frink, it really all depends on the studio and film and how the sound was mixed for their 5.1 track. Used to be a website up that had listings of 5.1 channel mixes (mostly dvd related since bluray did not exist yet) that had music only (or like 99% only) on certain channels

thatwitch

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
as mentioned by Frink, it really all depends on the studio and film and how the sound was mixed for their 5.1 track. Used to be a website up that had listings of 5.1 channel mixes (mostly dvd related since bluray did not exist yet) that had music only (or like 99% only) on certain channels

That site sounds like it might be useful. Any idea what the link is? Even if the site is gone I may still be able to pull it up through the archive website.

Well, stream 5 seemed to have the best mix of the song. I can still hear a little bit of background noise going on but it's not as loud as it is while watching the movie. I appreciate everyone's help. I had no idea I could do this! I always wondered how everyone was able to do these fanedits without interfering sounds and such. :D

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thatwitch said:
That site sounds like it might be useful. Any idea what the link is? Even if the site is gone I may still be able to pull it up through the archive website.

Well, stream 5 seemed to have the best mix of the song. I can still hear a little bit of background noise going on but it's not as loud as it is while watching the movie. I appreciate everyone's help. I had no idea I could do this! I always wondered how everyone was able to do these fanedits without interfering sounds and such. :D

That link was many years ago and an offshoot from another site (I might have it saved in an old faves list). No idea if I can find it but I did stumble across this one (from 2005) that might help you out a bit:
http://www.treuherz.de/ralf/scores/dvdlist.htm

and just found this recent post (from 2012) about it was a huge list and another link with more:
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15924-DVD-amp-BluRay-isolated-5-1-soundtracks

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick question about doing a 5.1 project in Vegas.

I've only ever done stereo projects before so attempting 5.1 is a new step for me and I just need a few pointers. Ideally, what should be in each track? Should effects be in the L and R tracks and ideally music in center or do I have it completely backwards. The project I'm working with has the same audio on all three tracks (as there is no music in the scene) and I was wondering where I should delete the audio and substitute my music. The movie by the way is Connery's Never Say Never Again and I intend to replace the audio as much as possible so I'm in for quite the chore.:-?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is your source 5.1? I don't understand why you only have audio in three tracks.

Typically (if you are lucky) you'll find only dialogue in the center track, with music and effects spread amongst the front L-R and rear L-R.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, its 5.1 but I just didn't mention the back two because I didn't think it was relevant as I knew the dialog had to be primarily in the front or center. Anyway, thanks for the help again Frink.

Just one more quick q, but is there a guide to edit 5.1 in Vegas that's a little more detailed. As I've said, its my first 5.1 project so I'm a little out of my depth. I don't really know the first thing to do if I want to put an mp3 for example or how I would go about spreading it across tracks or something.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mainly depends on your editing program. I use Vegas Pro 10. You can add as many audio tracks as you want. When I'm adding music I want to play alongside the existing audio, I make a new audio track and assign it as a front channel. I can change whether I want it to be spread across all 3 front channels or just the left/right.

If I'm cutting out audio from one (or more channels) I would simply put the new audio in where I cut the other audio out.

I can make some screencaps if you want, but if you're not using Vegas it's just purty pictures that may or may not help you.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a heads up, one of the (few) limitations in Vegas Platinum is the number of audio tracks. I only get eight, which means only two extra tracks after the six channels. I use a seventh for an extra center channel when I want overlapping dialogue. The eighth hasn't been terribly useful for me (thought I used it for one extra rear left effect in TRM).

Basically...what Neg said. :p

EDIT: Where I put replacement music (if that's what you are doing) depends on the scene. If I want music only, I just wipe out all the original audio tracks and put the music in every track except the LFE. Your other choices are center only, L-R only, or center-L-R only, but I like adding the rears too because I like a nice full soundstage, and it's really easy to do with music. However, if I'm trying to include music along with original audio (dialogue, fx, whathaveyou), I'm limited by my limited number of audio tracks. Usually in that case the music just goes in my extra center channel (track 7).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Just a heads up, one of the (few) limitations in Vegas Platinum is the number of audio tracks. I only get eight, which means only two extra tracks after the six channels. I use a seventh for an extra center channel when I want overlapping dialogue. The eighth hasn't been terribly useful for me (thought I used it for one extra rear left effect in TRM).

So basically...

If you're gonna pull a LastSurvivor and rebuild audio like a boss, go Pro.

If you're gonna go Neg and just add 1 silly song here and there go Lite.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, serious sound replacement without Pro is going to be very difficult.

Top Bottom