• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

2 programs I've found that actually give good results are "iZotope RX 2" and "Sound Soap".

Sound Soap lets you sample the audio you don't want, and use that to remove the sound from a given clip. It's pretty basic, but good if you have a certain noise you want to isolate.

iZotope RX 2 is a much more in depth tool with a lot more options. It gives you a visual representation of the audio, and lets you erase individual elements from the waveform.

And here's their promotional vid to give you a look at the interface.:

Here's a clip of what I used the software for:

Holy hell that iZotope is cool, shame it's so damn expensive.

I have SoundSoap and I have to say that the interface leaves A LOT to be desired, it is very difficult to use and the resulting isolated files have never been usable to me, typically sounding very tinny - of course that could be operator error ;)

L8wrtr said:
Holy hell that iZotope is cool, shame it's so damn expensive.

I have SoundSoap and I have to say that the interface leaves A LOT to be desired, it is very difficult to use and the resulting isolated files have never been usable to me, typically sounding very tinny - of course that could be operator error ;)

Never tried SoundSoap myself, but I agree, that iZotope RX does look the business. It might be the droid I'm looking for ;-)

booshman said:
2 programs I've found that actually give good results are "iZotope RX 2" and "Sound Soap".

Sound Soap lets you sample the audio you don't want, and use that to remove the sound from a given clip. It's pretty basic, but good if you have a certain noise you want to isolate.

iZotope RX 2 is a much more in depth tool with a lot more options. It gives you a visual representation of the audio, and lets you erase individual elements from the waveform.

And here's their promotional vid to give you a look at the interface.:

Here's a clip of what I used the software for:

WOW!! I had an old free plugin of theirs (izotope vinyl) but I need to look into this. It could help me in trying to get some soundtrack without effects

Wow indeed... RX2 does indeed look amazing... but alas, that price is just out of the ball park for me :(

LastSurvivor said:
Wow indeed... RX2 does indeed look amazing... but alas, that price is just out of the ball park for me :(

me too (for now), but the only thing the trial does not let you do is save it. With that in mind if it does let you fully do what you need to, you could always play the work and then use a windows/mac sound recorder to record what you hear and get your "whatever is needed" that way-- :)

I am really enjoying this izotope RX 2 program. I love the way you can technically photoshop your audio clips, though in some cases yoo are limited (eliminating certain parts of a mono soundtrack for example) but it still does a good job

Man I have to save up funds for this pronto-- was able to remove the dog barking from this clip (or at least 99.999% of it):

[video=youtube_share;5f4nP80oCA0]

Cool! What's the video look like for that clip?

Does anyone know if it is a 30 day type of trial, or can you keep on using it but just not be able to save?

I'll tell you in 31 days. :p

TomH1138 said:
Cool! What's the video look like for that clip?

There is no video, it was an audio only clip. I added the wording on the fly with womble. However I made this to give you a rough idea. The program gives you 3 options when you want to eliminate unwanted audio. Usually replace works fine, but I found in this clips case the "pattern" option worked better. Lets you do a compare before processing

[video=youtube_share;lQesL7yPRfY]

Rogue-theX said:
Does anyone know if it is a 30 day type of trial, or can you keep on using it but just not be able to save?

It makes no mention after installing or on the website that the trial is limited for a certain amount of time. However, it does tell you saving is disabled in trial mode

I also started playing with it and it is a powerful program. However finding the voice inside the track to isolate it from the music is still a bitch. But I did remove music from a missile launch to leave only the missile sounds.

Hopefully i can figure a good way to go about isolating voices

juice4z0 said:
I also started playing with it and it is a powerful program. However finding the voice inside the track to isolate it from the music is still a bitch. But I did remove music from a missile launch to leave only the missile sounds.

Hopefully i can figure a good way to go about isolating voices

you can always try the opposite- try removing everything else but the voices. If you have a selection of unwanted material though not present in the program, hit the delete key on your keyboard and it "greys out" whatever the selection. Then choose the spectre repair method. In that instance you could eventually (hopefully) remove everything else and be left with the voices

Oh carp, this kind of takes away my excuse for having unrelated snippets of music in the pieces of dialogue I cobble together.

AOTR - Coming in 2018!!!

TV's Frink said:
Oh carp, this kind of takes away my excuse for having unrelated snippets of music in the pieces of dialogue I cobble together.

AOTR - Coming in 2018!!!

ahh don't feel so bad, if it was not for Booshman mentioning this program in his post I would have no idea such a thing even existed

tranzor said:
you can always try the opposite- try removing everything else but the voices. If you have a selection of unwanted material though not present in the program, hit the delete key on your keyboard and it "greys out" whatever the selection. Then choose the spectre repair method. In that instance you could eventually (hopefully) remove everything else and be left with the voices

I half follow what your saying, so if i understand it correctly i select part of the track that has music delete it then do spectre repair?

juice4z0 said:
I half follow what your saying, so if i understand it correctly i select part of the track that has music delete it then do spectre repair?

Yes exactly or instead of deleting you can also just choose spectral repair. Using either option (with or without using the delete) will give slightly different results. Sometimes actually deleting the selection and then having the program use the spectral repair (pattern option) would take the sound around what you deleted and attempt to recreate it. Other times having the selection set (without deleting anything) and then just hitting spectral repair would give better results. Either option is worth looking into.

I mentioned the delete because if you did find something you truly do not want, the program can actually delete it but that option (from what I see) is not listed in any of the choices within the program itself. I just hit the key on my keyboard and it worked

tranzor said:
There is no video, it was an audio only clip. I added the wording on the fly with womble.

Well, I guess what I'm asking is: What's the clip that you edited intended for? Are you trying to put the background music without the dog barking into one of your projects? Or was that just a sound file that came with the demo?

TomH1138 said:
Well, I guess what I'm asking is: What's the clip that you edited intended for? Are you trying to put the background music without the dog barking into one of your projects? Or was that just a sound file that came with the demo?

only way to get the actual soundtrack score to the 1970's Black Christmas is from a rear channel rip of the 5.1 audio on the first UK edition disc (fuck sony's). For whatever reason the US version used an alternate mix (not the original). The Carl Zitter score is amazing and even he no longer has the masters and was considering totally re-recording it a few years back (so a score soundtrack could be released). At any rate a good friend of mine did a very nice rip and it was virtually 99% sound effect free. The dog barking was something that could not be removed, till now. My play around time with that program was for the slew of things like this--

The youtube video I did upload where it shows the program (made for you) was another film with no full score release (bomb the system)

Back
Top Bottom