• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

MightyAttackTribble

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has most of the same options and is free.
I've been using it for a while, they just haven't gotten around to updating the newer models yet, which I've been getting the best results from.

Just gotta be patient, I suppose.

jimmiles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
THe site called lalal(dot)ai gives generous free credits and does a great job doing separations.

Licadnium

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has most of the same options and is free.
I've been using this one following the instructions on this site:
It worked very well for me.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That tutorial is weird in that it’s provided by a company that offers a paid vocal remover. Is this just the free version of their paid option and, if so, is the free option limited in scope (i.e. only removes vocals or only offers a minute of resulting content)?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That tutorial is weird in that it’s provided by a company that offers a paid vocal remover. Is this just the free version of their paid option and, if so, is the free option limited in scope (i.e. only removes vocals or only offers a minute of resulting content)?
Ultimate Vocal Remover is open source, I can't speak for the other site that was linked, though I can say I've seen similar sites with tutorials that seem to have a stake in the matter with similar or related software they have for sale. It's a strange practice, but UVR is legit and has no artificial limitations placed on it.

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys, I'm gonna check UVR out. I need a new to improve in this area.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had really mixed luck with UVR. Sometimes it works great, other times it's a total mess. It's really a matter of trying lots of different settings until you find one that works for your particular scene.

I am quite impressed with the audio splitting that Peter Jackson's team has done in the new Beatles song "Now and Then", splitting the noise out of John's low quality audio tape recording from 1977. It's still not perfect, but it's way better than I ever could have hoped for. It successfully removed the 60 Hz mains hum, audio tape hiss, and background TV noise, as well as splitting the very quiet piano recording from John's voice. I think John's voice might be particularly hard to work with because of its nasal tone. Hopefully at some point his software becomes publicly available.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m sure PJ, the Beatles, and Abbey Road have more sophisticated software than what we’re working with, but I’ve tried to take some live tapes of my old band that were poorly mixed (for the recording at least) and separate the tracks to remix. It just isn’t there yet. But I’ve had a ton of success with taking studio stuff and separating tracks, often with little to no bleed. This technology is all so new, I can’t imagine it won’t get there for even poorly recorded live tracks soon.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've managed to succesfully replace vocals in this:
with vocals extracted from original version of the song:

I needed alternate version of the song with original vocals to use in one of my hiking videos, sounds good.

Last edited:

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I was playing around with UVR and I can't figure out how to remove a SONG from a movie. How do I get rid of the soundtrack song without losing the sound effects underneath it?? Should I try different program? Any of the expert editors have any advice? It works great for removing the SCORE to a movie, but how do you remove the soundtrack songs??

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If there is a song with vocals quite often it is only in left and right channels (so you need to mute these channels), but if the vocals are in Central channel along with dialogue (or if that is stereo track and not 5.1), then there is no way that I know to remove it properly without losing something that you need to keep in.

I was rebuilding a lot of SFX from scratch in my last re-scored edit (Kombat Bloody Kombat), because filtering removed everything except voices. Fortunately, all the songs were easily removable as they were present only in left and right channels, while the score was also in central, and needed way more work.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is kind of what I was talking about earlier in my efforts to separate tracks in a live recording. I don’t think it’s possible now (at least with this level of software), but it would seem to me that soon we should be able to “teach” the program which specific voices you want to isolate and/or remove. My problems with a live band recording stem from the program not being able to distinguish between two voices or two guitars, but I think that should be “teachable” to a program like this as, if a human ear can distinguish a difference, there should be sufficient information with which to lead the AI to learn to separate them. But I am certainly no expert—I’ve barely experimented with it at all, in fact—and it seems that is still not possible given the current (commercially available) software.

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to keep coming back to Now and Then, but this guy did a pretty good video comparing the original to final versions.

GelflingHand

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I was playing around with UVR and I can't figure out how to remove a SONG from a movie. How do I get rid of the soundtrack song without losing the sound effects underneath it?? Should I try different program? Any of the expert editors have any advice? It works great for removing the SCORE to a movie, but how do you remove the soundtrack songs??
This worked for me, though I'm not sure anyone else has had any luck with it: https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/sound-subtraction.24565/
It's not flawless and can take a fair bit of messing around with settings to get the results you want, but give it try if you haven't had any luck with anything else.

Top Bottom