• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Background Music, Sound Effects & Dialogue In FCPX

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I am continuing work on my fanedit and am using FCPX and while it's been helpful in most areas I've found it difficult to separate the music, effects and dialogue from eachother and have often had to resort to muting certain segments of my edit than searching the web for multiple FX and soundtracks just to get the quality in certain cuts that I am looking for yet I have seen tutorials online where one can simply switch to there 6 Mono sound setting and mute it's various channels to remove the music but retain the dialogue and sound effects however the only sound options available to me from the Blurey's source of my edit are Stereo, Dual Mono and Reverse Stereo.

Essentially what I am asking is, is there any way to manipulate the sound channels that I have in FCPX in order for me to isolate/separate dialogue, background music or FX/sound effects in certain scenes and if not is there a software capable of performing such things that doesn't require me to pay monthly for it?

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since the title you are working with is only available in stereo your options are more limited.

Pedantic Contrarian

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since the title you are working with is only available in stereo your options are more limited.
Is there software I can use to change its audio settings to Surround 5.1 and grant more mono options available to use or am I stuck having to mute various clips and add new background music and FX?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stereo sound is essentially the same as two mono files, just stick together, one assigned to each speaker. Surround sound is essentially the same as six mono files, again stuck together and one to each speaker.

You can mix surround down to create a stereo mix, but it goes from six files to two and that's a lossy process, and you can fake an upmix from stereo to surround by duplicating tracks and panning then different directions, but there's no way to truly get surround FROM stereo.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well there is a program that can SOMETIMES do what you want, that is convert a stereo mix to 5.1 surround and isolate a center channel with only dialogue and effects. It really depends on how the audio was originally processed. The software is called nugen upmix. I was able to accomplish this in a deleted scene that was in stereo and it figured out what was supposed to be in the center channel.

Top Bottom