• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

See - The Spence Movie Edits

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all!

This is something I've been working on along with my Terminator edit. With the new rules regarding streaming content, I figured it was time to create a post about it.

See is a criminally underseen AppleTV series, one of the more interesting and fleshed out science fiction stories I've seen recently. I'd highly recommend everyone check it out in its original form, as the third and final season ends next week.

I always though that the production was so strong on the show that it would've made a great movie, so I'm playing with that concept. Also, there was a bit of a stylistic shift between the first and second seasons, where a lot of very abstract ideas got sort of left behind in favor of a more action/adventure heavy show. Doing a fanedit of the first season in movie form can help line it up with the style of the rest of the show.

I haven't decided yet if I'll be adapting the first season into one movie or two yet, and I think I'll have to make that decision once I get through episode 5.

The ideas:
- Make one or two films out of the first season of See. If one movie, I want to keep it under 2 hours 45 minutes. Two movies would be 2 hours a piece.
- Remove some of the more abstract/strange concepts and moments to align better with the latter seasons and to make it easier to follow and digest.
- More emphasis on Baba Voss as the central character, so we spend less time with Queen Kane while still getting her story.

It's going to take some clever editing as there are multiple large time jumps at the beginning of the story, so making that flow together in a movie format will be a challenge.

I'm looking forward to working on this one, as it really is an epic, interesting show.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all!

This is something I've been working on along with my Terminator edit. With the new rules regarding streaming content, I figured it was time to create a post about it.

See is a criminally underseen AppleTV series, one of the more interesting and fleshed out science fiction stories I've seen recently. I'd highly recommend everyone check it out in its original form, as the third and final season ends next week.

I always though that the production was so strong on the show that it would've made a great movie, so I'm playing with that concept. Also, there was a bit of a stylistic shift between the first and second seasons, where a lot of very abstract ideas got sort of left behind in favor of a more action/adventure heavy show. Doing a fanedit of the first season in movie form can help line it up with the style of the rest of the show.

I haven't decided yet if I'll be adapting the first season into one movie or two yet, and I think I'll have to make that decision once I get through episode 5.

The ideas:
- Make one or two films out of the first season of See. If one movie, I want to keep it under 2 hours 45 minutes. Two movies would be 2 hours a piece.
- Remove some of the more abstract/strange concepts and moments to align better with the latter seasons and to make it easier to follow and digest.
- More emphasis on Baba Voss as the central character, so we spend less time with Queen Kane while still getting her story.

It's going to take some clever editing as there are multiple large time jumps at the beginning of the story, so making that flow together in a movie format will be a challenge.

I'm looking forward to working on this one, as it really is an epic, interesting show.
I totally agree with you.

See is an underrated TV Series, and I also think it is one of the best science fictions show I have seen in the last years.

It is truly a great idea to adapt the first season into 1 movie or 2.

I am looking forward to seeing this!!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched every show, so far. Very interesting to see where this idea leads.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have decided that this first edit is going to be roughly the first half of Season 1. There's a lot of set up and ground to cover, and I think it'll work better as a 2 hour 15 minutes movie than a 3 hour + movie that covers the whole season. So two movies for the first season.

Film 1 roughly covers episodes 1-4, but some of the end of 4 will be pushed to the next film, while some of episode 5 will make it into this one.

I need a little assistance with some additional footage. Basically, I need people rioting/protesting in a post-apocalyptic setting. I need to change a plot point at the end of the film so I need Queen Kane's people to be protesting her. I already found a few shots in Mad Max Fury Road that I think will work, and I can pull some stuff from Season 2 of the show as well, but I'd like a few more. I don't need big, sweeping shots, actually the closer up the better to mask the location. Between the establishing shot of the dam and some creative audio editing, I think I can sell the footage from different sources if it goes by fast enough.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SEE - CHAPTER ONE: GODFLAME

SEE - CHAPTER TWO: THE LAVENDER ROAD

The entire first season of See in 2 films.

Probably looking at a simultaneous release so I can just do one listing on IFDB. Both will be under 2 hours and 30 minutes per movie.

Though it's a story that will be told in two parts, each film has its own beginning, middle and end and will feel like a complete experience and arc.

If this turns out well and people are interested, I intend to continue with the rest of the series. It's too early to say how that will be divided up, but I'd imagine we are looking at 5-6 movies to tell the entire story.

I'm eyeing a release before the end of the year, probably around November.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
excellent show. first season looked perfect, they ruined that with teal/orange season two which I barely managed to go through.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
excellent show. first season looked perfect, they ruined that with teal/orange season two which I barely managed to go through.
There's definitely a big switch from Season 1 to Season 2. They switched showrunners and it became more action heavy. That's not necessarily bad, but it does have a different vibe. I'm hoping to bridge that gap a bit with the film versions.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More action I don't mind, the story develops, the world expands, etc. The switch in visuals is so much jarring. I had some screens saved, from season one ending and from flashback at season two start... Anyone can guess which is which.

If you decide to tone down that nonsense a bit, it would be immense improvement.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More action I don't mind, the story develops, the world expands, etc. The switch in visuals is so much jarring. I had some screens saved, from season one ending and from flashback at season two start... Anyone can guess which is which.

If you decide to tone down that nonsense a bit, it would be immense improvement.
I intend to try to balance it out to match better.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi All!

I know I've been quiet on this one but I'm still actively working on it. I needed to mask a character out of one of the scenes, which is incredibly time consuming and hard to get right. However, it's going quite well and seen very briefly, so I think I can pull it off without anybody noticing too much.

I have a mostly finished version (sans the above mentioned) of movie 1, which is title Godflame. It runs about 2 hours and 16 minutes, and ends when the family flees on the boat and Kanzua is destroyed. Movie 2, titled The Lavender Road, covers through the end of season 1, and is currently running 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I haven't looked into Season 2 and 3 as much yet, but with a more focused narrative, it's possible I'll be able to get those done in one film each, making a 4 movie series covering the entire story. The goal is to keep each film a 2 hours 30 minutes or below.

I'd like film 1 to be my December release, and film 2 my January release. I'll then probably take a break from See and wrap up Terminator or something else for February.

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very strong endorsement. I avoided it due to some noise about plot holes and strange logic, but I'll have to watch it now.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a very strong endorsement. I avoided it due to some noise about plot holes and strange logic, but I'll have to watch it now.
It's capital "W" Weird and extremely ambitious, maybe too much so. The whole thing is also a little silly, but Momoa holds it all together by understanding just the right vibe it needs. It was definitely one of my favorite sci-fi/action shows and I'll miss it terribly.

One of the issues with it is it throws a little too much at you all at once in the first few episodes. They span about 18 years, and introduce you to tons of concepts, characters, and world building. It's easy to get kind of lost with it all. I'm hoping that's a part of the show that I can make easier to digest with this edit, as essentially the whole first movie is just about THAT stuff.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a preview of my work so far on the hardest scene in the edit. During this fairly simple conversation, there's a character standing behind Parris spying on them. I'm removing that subplot from the story for pacing reasons, and to avoid throwing too many concepts at the viewer at the same time. In order to achieve this, I have to mask out the character in the background from most of the shots (I could crop her out of a few of them.)

This isn't perfect yet and I'm still tinkering, but I think it's going to work.
Tent Test 3

Here's what the majority of the scene originally looks like

futon88

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a preview of my work so far on the hardest scene in the edit. During this fairly simple conversation, there's a character standing behind Parris spying on them. I'm removing that subplot from the story for pacing reasons, and to avoid throwing too many concepts at the viewer at the same time. In order to achieve this, I have to mask out the character in the background from most of the shots (I could crop her out of a few of them.)

This isn't perfect yet and I'm still tinkering, but I think it's going to work.
Tent Test 3

Here's what the majority of the scene originally looks like
Wow, that's incredible. Having not seen the scene, I didn't notice anyone was missing. Knowing that someone was missing, the only thing I noticed was how the character beside Jason looks slightly too far to the left at the end of the scene. Like maybe she's looking at this removed character instead of Alfre's character(?). Though that's totally I guess. I mean...they can't even see, right?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, that's incredible. Having not seen the scene, I didn't notice anyone was missing. Knowing that someone was missing, the only thing I noticed was how the character beside Jason looks slightly too far to the left at the end of the scene. Like maybe she's looking at this removed character instead of Alfre's character(?). Though that's totally I guess. I mean...they can't even see, right?
Yeah, they're always looking all over the place, so it was actually kind of like that already. A lot of the scene was trimmed down because without the spy character, there isn't much narrative reason for a lot of their dialogue.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You already like it before I even posted it. We are totally in synch.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi All! Sorry I've been a bit quiet, I was on vacation for the last week and a half. Progress on this edit is going really well, and I expect to release Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 before the end of the year.

Work has already begun on Chapter 3, and it's going to cover the entirety of Season 2 as one film. This one will be a bit longer, but still under 3 hours. Season 2 has a bit more of a clear through line for the story from beginning to end, making it a little easier to do as one film.

Unfortunately, an edit of Season 3 will be significantly delayed due to the 365 day rule, so we won't be seeing that till October next year. On the brightside, there's not a ton of pending cliffhangers at the end of Season 2 so the wait won't be too bad if you don't already know the story.

Top Bottom