• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Seamless Branching

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm considering using seamless branching (or multiple path DVD authoring - whatever you want to call it :smile:) in my next edit's ending. I've noticed a number of edits use this.

I did a search of the forum, but there wasn't much specific information. ADM mentioned pixellation at the branch point, but other faneditors say it's more like a layer change, so it seems people are using different software.

What's the best software/method for doing this? Is is true that you can't use scene selection if you use seamless braching? Can you still have multiple/alternate audio tracks if you use seamless branching?

Thanks for any information. :)

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
there SHOULDN'T be pixellation as the scenes are seperately encoded.

the only problem i see is that a lot of times the DVD player will pause for a few seconds to figure out wtf is going on.

i would rather not have seamless branching at all. usually it's obvious which option everyone is going to use and i just usually don't see the need for it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Erm, thanks, I guess.

ADM did say there was pixellation in his ANH edit, but I believe it's an older one, so perhaps the technology has moved on since then.

Some alternate versions do divide people, so I do see the need for it, and would like some information on it.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a Seamless branching problem. I Wanted to do my own, simple Alien 3 Hybrid Cut with the only change - replace SE ening with theatrical one. I ripped movie with DVD Fab, then put Vob files to Womble, replaced ending and authored DVD (using only one version of film). Then watched it and... on some branching points there are some problems like freezing for a second, and in one place there is pixelation, then a second of the movie repeated, then pixelation again, and then movie continues.

Then I tried to rip from DVD extended Version of Aliens (just because my DVD player has some problems with seamless branching, so i wanted a copy which i can watch without those problems), when i burned files without any changes (just as they were ripped) there are still the same problems as with the original DVD. So i tried to put them into womble and re-author, unfortunately, the same problem with pixelation-repeating-pixelation occured. This is also the reason which caused me to abandon my small A;Resurrection Hybrid Cut project (Extended version with theatrical opening & ending). I dont want to watch entire movie to remove those errors manually (which of course is possible).

So the question is: what is the best way to rip one version of the movie from seamless branching DVD and avoid this kind of problems?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you tried using pgcdemux after ripping the movie? You should be able to extract the version of the movie you want and then take it into Womble for editing.

You have a fearsome avatar by the way, Gieferg! :smile:

P.S. I take it you have seen Leonenut's hybrid cut?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should be able to extract the version of the movie you want and then take it into Womble for editing

I am able to extract the version I want, but it is somehow corrupted. I tried PGC demux with Death Sentence (PGC demux -> Womble) and after authoring there is still a point in this movie when it jumps something like 5 minutes forward in one of original branching points. However, I have not tried PGC demux on Aliens/Alien 3, so maybe I'll give it a try.

I take it you have seen Leonenut's hybrid cut?

I have not seen it, but I've read description of changes. I prefer ox than dog, cause In my opinion it makes much more sense, so, for me, the only thing which is wrong with SE is the ending.

You have a fearsome avatar by the way, Gieferg!

It's from the cover of polish version of boardgame "Fury of Dracula" simply called "Vampire" :)

Top Bottom