• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Scott Pilgrim vs. the Editor

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cheers!

The file format change wasn't intentional; I'll use mp4 for the final version. As for the remaining audio issues, I have an idea that should deal with most of them.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it turns out that the first abrupt audio change isn't mine, and judging by the waveform it's not the original sound editor's either; it's just the way Mark Webber said the line. That said, I've been able to do a little bit of fiddling to make it sound a little smoother.

As for the rest, I think I've got it now. I'll send you the updated file once it's rendered out and uploaded.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RoccondilRinon said:
So it turns out that the first abrupt audio change isn't mine, and judging by the waveform it's not the original sound editor's either; it's just the way Mark Webber said the line. That said, I've been able to do a little bit of fiddling to make it sound a little smoother.

That line is from a deleted scene right? and the preceding lines are not? It's switching from a finished movie soundmix, to an unfinished soundmix that I'm hearing, I'm not sure it's the way the actor said the line, it's the way the line is mixed. So yeah, doing some remixing should help. Adjust the volume, mix in some background noise from another part of the scene etc. Looking forward to seeing the latest version :) .

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, but the audio transition from finished film to deleted scene is not at the beginning of the line, and the waveform doesn't have the sort of sharp cliff you'd expect to see if it was the result of a clumsy edit in the first place. The mix of the immediately preceding part of the scene sounds identical in the finished film and the deleted scene. Regardless, I've adjusted the levels so that it doesn't sound so sudden.

I considered using the track from the OST to blend the deleted elements in the Roxy scene, but I've been able to find EQ settings that seem to match the surrounding audio very well, and I'm able to extend the crossfades out to a full second either side of each transition. I had some connectivity issues with the upload but it's all there now. I'll send you a link in a PM. Nothing else has changed apart from these two scenes.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RoccondilRinon said:
Yes, but the audio transition from finished film to deleted scene is not at the beginning of the line

Oh I see.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've had a look/listen to the relevant areas of the 3rd version. The greenroom cut is still sounding off. As I thought, it's the change in overall soundmix that is noticeable, not so much the deleted line.

Start listening carefully from about 01.13.43 in your edit (crank the volume up on your speakers/headphones if you need to) and you'll notice hear an omnipresent deep base rumble of crowd noise happening in the club outside the greenroom. At 01.14.13 (exactly as the "Suit each other line" ends) the rumbling suddenly stops dead for a second into near silence and then the "So..." line is said, then some subtle tension music comes in for a few seconds, then the rumbling resumes when Knives says "You're my role model". It's that silent-ish gap between the two lines when no sound from outside the room is audible and no music is playing on the score which is distracting.

There are a few seconds of the rumbling at the start of the green room scene when nobody is talking (also a few other spots throughout where there is no dialogue). Simply cut/copy a bit of that clean audio out, then mix it in over the silence between "Suit each other line" and "So...", then the music comes in and covers any sound differences in the source.

I did a little clip to show what I'm talking about, sometimes that's easier than trying to describe it. First a whole section of the scene from your 3rd version for context, then just the problem part, then with it fixed the way I described above:

(Password: fanedit.org)

I've not edited/altered your mix, just added some of that crowd noise on top of it during the gap between the two lines. It's not 100% invisible but I don't think anybody would notice/hear the cut now, if they didn't know it was there. You can probably mix it better.

Just have one more pass at that bit please and this will be ready :) .

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see. I thought it was merely the abrupt beginning of Stephen’s line that was the issue. I’ll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds great now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've checked over the latest version and this now approved :) .

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

This is the best kind of fanedit, tons and tons of little changes but they're subtle enough that it feels like the same movie... just much better. I think this will replace the original film for everyone who watches it, including people like me who were lukewarm on the original film and people who were big fans of that version. It will be up on ifdb this Sunday.

Check this one out people.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came across a cheap Blu-ray of this recently but haven't watched it yet. I don't think I've actually seen it since it was in theaters. I may just skip the Blu-ray and watch the edit to see if feels like what I remember the movie being.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hurrah! In celebration, have a poster, for use in Plex, iTunes, etc.
rhhAq4S.png

Blu Ray with special features is in the works. Stay tuned!

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I've got the design side of the Blu Ray down, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a single Mac authoring app available that does what I want in terms of translating it into a burnable disc. I've tried Toast, Leawo, DVDFab, none of which have anything like the capabilities I need. Toast doesn't even do subtitles. The only apps that seem to be at all capable are all Windows-only. If anyone can help at all, please reach out! (Going to cross-post to the tech forum too.)

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I seem to have developed a workaround. DVD Styler has the abilities I want — multiple subtitle and audio tracks, fully custom menus and disc structure, etc. As you can tell from the name, it doesn't natively do Blu Rays, but what it can do is make a kind of pseudo-DVD disk image, using the DVD file format but with HD video and not limited to the size of a DVD. I should then be able to use a little converter utility (which is Windows-only, but I can borrow a PC for this short, one-off step) to convert this pseudo-DVD disk image into a proper compliant BD-25.

I've got most of the features ready, including the Matrix preview, a couple of featurettes, a subtitle track (with a couple of extra gags thrown in — it'll also be included in the .info dlc as a standalone srt file), a trivia track highlighting what I've done to the movie, chapter markers, and the menu design itself. The only thing left to create is the "TV safe" audio track, which I hope to do over the weekend.

I expect the actual authoring process will be a right pain, and it is a bit of a hack that I'm using, so I can't make any promises. But it at least should be possible.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Years ago I tried creating a DVD with DVD Styler and found that it consistently hung when I tried to export the image. Hopefully it has improved since then.

If it doesn't work and you need help, I have DVD Architect and am happy to try and create a BD image for you. (And if I get stuck there are folks here who have a lot more experience than me with custom BD creation who can probably also help).

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw this up on the IFDB and I'm already in love with the changes just from reading the changelist.

One thing I always appreciate from edits is the removal of unnecessarily nasty lines, the fact you removed a slur and a racist jibe is really nice to see.

I look forward to checking this out!

Nahuel91

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow this sounds like a better and more complete cut of the movie which is already awesome, thank you for your work, i would really like to see it

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep! Blu Ray is still in the works but the edit itself is available via the usual channels.

Big thanks to everyone who has watched and enjoyed the edit, especially those who’ve left reviews on IFDB and voted in the FEOTM poll.

Top Bottom