• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Scott Pilgrim vs. the Editor

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, the raw video for the stinger is now assembled — that is, the fake news broadcast to render onto the TV screen. To give you some idea of what's gone into this, on top of the newly recorded video of my friend performing the skit, I'm using:

• CBC News jingle, animation and logo bug
  • A "virtual newsroom" animation
  • A matching "backdrop" animation for still images
  • A still from the movie, one from a deleted scene and a publicity still to illustrate the beginning of the story
  • Stock footage of a Toronto Police operation from CBC (seen in the preview render above)
  • A few brief shots of the Matthew Patel fight from the film
  • A publicity still of Satya Bhabha
  • A publicity interview with Chris Evans
  • A shot of Brandon Routh from the "Black Sheep" music video
  • A publicity still of the Saito twins
  • Screen test footage of Mae Whitman
  • Screen test footage of Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in character looking awkward
  • Stock footage (stolen from YouTube) of Canadian coins
On top of green-screening the actress into the "virtual newsroom", just about every other shot ended up having VFX applied: the shots of the Patel fight were treated with JPEG damage to look like dodgy cam footage; the shot of Scott and Ramona graded to suggest a mugshot and to change Ramona's hair colour; the shots of the Evil Exes desaturated and slo-mo'd out of "respect for the dead"; the lower third graphic seen in the preview above created; and the whole thing treated with CRT scan lines and colours slightly out of phase.

All going well, I should have the movie ready for submission to the Academy later this month.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The perfect way to celebrate pride month!

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha... I can think of much queerer movies that would be appropriate — on that topic, my Matrix edit is going to lean heavily into the transgender subtext of the original movie — but sure. FX.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eh, Scott Pilgrim is just the most important movie to me in that regard, on a personal level. 
Your Matrix edit sounds really interesting too!

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stinger gag is rendered, sound mix is complete, credits are locked, and the last few tweaks to the colour grading are done. I've contacted a few members of the Academy to let them know it's ready for submission and to ask how to get it to them. Will post here when I hear back.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've uploaded a short comparison video to show the upscaling and colour grading I've been doing to some of the footage I'm incorporating into the movie. Most of the deleted scenes are in HD already (although some of them still needed colour grading), but there's a handful of shorter gags and material that's only available in SD, as well as the "Garbage Truck" music video and the cartoon. Fortunately, I think Davinci Resolve's Super Scaler process is good enough that I can keep the edit as a whole in full HD — but we'll see what the Academy thinks.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meanwhile, I've started work on my next edit — work on The Hobbit continues apace, but in the meantime I've done a proof of concept on The Matrix: Édition Noir et Néon, which I'll release alongside SPVTE as a preview. I've also been working on the Blu-ray:

TUaV2Hb.png

YjTKl89.png

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A link to the movie has been sent to the Academy. Haven't heard back yet — will post when I do. Subtitle track is now done, so that's one more thing ticked off the list.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted for Academy review. Thread moved to pending.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is one of the more impressive and professional looking edits I've so far watched. I was lukewarm on the original movie but all the extra little bits and bobs in your fanedit very much improve things. I still don't love the movie (like I do 'Hot Fuzz' etc) but do like it a lot in this form. This the version I'd watch in future :) .

- The upscaled scenes look fine mixed with the blu-ray on my TV across the room. I wouldn't have noticed if I'd not been looking for them. The grade is noticeably different though in some additions. Those scenes could do with more work. I had a quick go at matching one in:

48511333167_d09fca2bc0_o.jpg

- Love the pixelart OT.com and popart FE.org logos. Amazing work and great taste. Your faneditor logo is fancy too.

- The videogame loading screen style "feature presentation" titlecard looks and sound so professional and it's an inspired idea. Kudos.

- The aspect ratio changes a lot in the edit. e.g. The main movie is 1.85:1 by default but switches to 2.39:1 occasionally for specific stylistic reasons like dream sequences, or when Scott is in the afterlife, or the band is playing etc (and Wright does play with it a little bit too). Your titlecards are full 16:9, the animated intro is pretty much 16:9 but the edges of the frame are visible, some of the deleted scenes you've added are kinda 1.85:0.9 or something which doesn't match the bu-ray footage. If you scrub through your edit quickly you can actually instantly spot the bits you've added, not because they are SD but because of the AR changes. IMO all your added scenes & bits should be matted to 1.85:1 by default (with a thin black line top and bottom like the blu-ray) unless it's for a specific reason. For example, when you cut to knives at 01.36.02 the movie goes to 2.39:1 for just those shots for no obvious reason. That'll help the additional footage blend in a little closer.

How it looks in the edit:

48511152566_c3c7b4cf83_o.jpg

Something like how it should look IMO:

48511152716_85bb7730bc_o.jpg

- End fanedit credits are very well done.

There are two little problems that need fixed:

00.29.36 - As Ramona is landing off the swings some white text appears at the bottom of the shot for 1 frame. Also there are black bars to the left and right. Not sure why (see screenshot):

48511173431_8c667faec6_o.png

01.25.27 - The super abrupt change in sound when nega-scott appears at the bar sounds way off and when it comes back out of the extra scene it doesn't sound good either.

02.04.46 - The mid credits news broadcast is quiet compared to the rest of the movie.

The overall volume of the edit is way too loud, so in very loud sequences like the band battle the sound is getting clipped and fuzzy distortion is audible. It's painful to listen to. I dropped the file into Vegas, here is a screenshot showing where the peaks and troughs are getting clipped in a loud scene:

48511152386_142319285a_h.jpg

So in conclusion, some more time could be spent finessing the grade and some of the audio when switching between sources but the distorted sound must be fixed before this can be approved. Very cool edit and I'd recommend it to everyone when those issues have been addressed.

Hope the feedback helps. Let me know if anything I've typed makes no sense.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! I was hesitant to change the aspect ratio for the deleted scene you've shown because it's already SD and I don't want to zoom it in. But it follows shortly after a 2.39:1 scene so I'll see how it looks if I matte the intervening 30 seconds or so to 2.39:1 instead. Matting the remainder of the film to 1.85:1 should be trivial to do, so I'll do that.

The one-frame error you've spotted when Ramona jumps off the swing was intentional (it's in the source material; I didn't change it); IIRC, Edgar Wright explained that the idea was that the impact of her landing momentarily shakes the film off the sprockets.

Sound mix will be looked at and I'll get rid of as much clipping as I can. Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know when it's ready.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RoccondilRinon said:
Thanks! I was hesitant to change the aspect ratio for the deleted scene you've shown because it's already SD and I don't want to zoom it in.

That's understandable. How about starting a long slow change from scope to wide, beginning as soon as Scott leaves the stage. That way it would keep the deleted scenes AR but remove the distraction of it changing. Plus I think it adds a nice effect like the view is concentrating in on the more intense dialogue scene. Wright does play with the AR in other scenes so it's stylistically consistent in this film. I did a rough mock up, see what you think:

(Password: fanedit.org)
RoccondilRinon said:
The one-frame error you've spotted when Ramona jumps off the swing was intentional (it's in the source material; I didn't change it); IIRC, Edgar Wright explained that the idea was that the impact of her landing momentarily shakes the film off the sprockets.

Oh really? That's neat :) .
RoccondilRinon said:
Sound mix will be looked at and I'll get rid of as much clipping as I can. Thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know when it's ready.

FYI: If the clipping is in your source file rip, then turning the volume down will not fix the distortion because those parts of the sound were obliterated when the file was created. You'd need to rip a new source file (without the distortion) and replace it in the timeline. If the clipping is just in your timeline settings, or final render settings, then adjusting the volume will fix it easy enough.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the heads-up. I just needed to normalise the mix, for the most part; it was set to about 9dB too loud! The end credits version of "Ramona" is a bit brickwalled (and was originally mixed that way), judging by the waveform, but the movie soundtrack itself seems OK. It should be pretty much clipping-free now, but I'll make sure before I render it out. The 1.85:1 hard matte is applied, the Nega-Scott volume issue is adjusted, and the abrupt AR change is now handled. Only one issue remains.

I'd held off on getting Resolve 16 until after I'd finished with this edit, but I upgraded after all because it has some new loudness monitoring features I wanted to use after doing a bit of research following your feedback. Unfortunately, one thing I didn't realise is that the Super Scale upscaling feature, which I used on the SD segments and which was included in the free version of Resolve 15, is now restricted to the paid Resolve Studio 16. I'll be shooting off a Strongly Worded Letter™ to Blackmagic, but for the meanwhile I may have to figure out if it's possible to downgrade back to 15. I'm not planning to use any SD footage in my future planned edits, but it's a pain for now. Will report back.

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, after looking into it, Blackmagic have said that it was never meant to be in the free version in the first place. Fortunately, since I already rendered it out, I can plug in the upscaled video from the previously rendered file, probably with little if any loss of detail. Should be all done this weekend!

RoccondilRinon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the lack of updates. It was indeed all done that weekend; now I'm just waiting on the final thumbs-up from TM2YC. I didn't want to put undue pressure on them by posting here, and I don't mean to by this post; I just want to confirm for everyone else that there aren't any more problems from my end.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RoccondilRinon said:
Sorry for the lack of updates. It was indeed all done that weekend; now I'm just waiting on the final thumbs-up from TM2YC. I didn't want to put undue pressure on them by posting here, and I don't mean to by this post; I just want to confirm for everyone else that there aren't any more problems from my end.

Sorry for the delay. I'll get on it ASAP.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched the latest version of this excellent edit. The overall volume problem has been fixed. The AR changes have been improved. That knives deleted scene stands out less. Maybe it's the overall volume coming down to a correct level (along with the distortion) but I noticed a few more abrupt audio changes this time, along with that nega-scott one again. It's just 4 areas within the same 15-mins that need remixed and I think we'll be there:

01.14.13 - When Stephen Stills says "So..." the change from one audio source to another is noticeable.
01.25.27 & 01.25.34 - In and out of the Nega Scott vision still sounds like an obvious change.
01.27.00 - The change in audio when the deleted material starts during this fight is abrupt (and in a couple of other places too). The movie audio sounds big, loud and bass-heavy, the deleted audio sounds thin and quiet.
01.27.54 - The audio change under the line "Meaning..." stands out.

Oh and the news segment during the credits could still be a bit louder, compared to the rest of the edit.

Is there any reason why you've switched from *.mp4 in the last version, to *.mov in this version? The previously near perfect video quality has taken a nosedive in comparison. It's still looks decent and totally watchable though.

Let me know when those audio changes have been tweaked and I'll take another look. I think I actually genuinely really enjoyed this movie for the first time, when watching your version again. Thanks :) .

Top Bottom