• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Saving Private Ryan - complete

PoorAndin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wanted a version which focuses on the soldiers fighting the war. A savage and unsentimental film. Except for an embarrassingly sentimental, sappy prologue and epilogue. This is a version without schmaltz that does not pander to the audience.

Wf6UDZ1.jpg

Cut two maudlin scenes that begin and end the film with flag-waving patriotism as a tearful old man is seen mourning at the graves of fallen comrades. You no longer have to wade through five minutes of schmaltz to get to Omaha Beach.

Cut two scenes that take place in America in which George C. Marshall puts cloying sentimentality before morality when he orders the rescue of Private Ryan. We see the soldiers being given their orders and many times discuss the rights and wrongs of what they are doing over the course of the film.

11 minutes removed. 5.1 and stereo tracks available.

Last edited:
As one of the more powerful films that I've experienced I was intrigued by a fanedit of the film. For me, the beginning and end of the movie are the glue that makes it work. It also serves as an intentional misdirect as to who the old man is. Did you leave his ending scenes intact? I'm not the most patriotic, but this movie helped me better understand why so many are. Without the emotional connection and meaning behind the actions of the characters, it's little more than gratuitous war fodder that simply comes across as "war is hell". Also, taking out George C. Marshall removes the whole plot of the movie. Without the emotional weight, it seems like there would be no reason to care about anything plot wise, but I suppose this edit is to perhaps make us feel more like the soldiers who were asked to go find Ryan? I'm not meaning this as an attack. Just putting my first impressions out there and wondering if this movie would still hold up for those that were changed by the original version.

Meh...I like the idea of removing the "schmaltz". What you end up with is a damn fine war movie. But I think people could be polarized by this type of edit for a multitude of reasons. But hey...why not? We already had the "schmaltz" now we can have a choice. "Schmaltz" or "no schmaltz". 😁

Last edited:
It now ends on a close up on Matt Damon as we here voice over of Marshall reading the Lincoln letter. We also still see the lady who writes the letter to Mrs. Ryan as she realises 3 of her sons have died and tells her superior. This all plays out without dialogue so there is mystery for the viewer as too what is happening. We then see the Mother being given the tragic news again without dialogue. In the next scene Tom Hanks is told his mission and everything becomes clear. I dont believe there is any plot confusion. Hanks is told his mission, he tells his men, he tells Ryan, he tells several others so the story is clear. I felt the original sort of emotionaly manipulates the audience into taking George C. Marshall view (a view I dont agree with, the letter he quotes expresses sentiment not sentimentality and never suggests Lincoln would have sacrificed men to save one.) while this puts you in the point of view of the soldiers being asked to sacrifice themselves and lets you decide the rights and wrongs. It's more ambigous as to whether the motives for sending them on this mission are out of compassion for Mrs. Ryan or a cynical public relations exercise. Leave the viewer to make up their own mind. Just to be clear I have visited the cemetary in Normandy and it was an emotional experience. I am not questioning the bravery and heroism of those that died. I just dont think we need to be hit over the head to apprectiate their sacrifice.

Last edited:
This fanedit sounds very interesting. I was a bit sceptic of a fanedit of such a great movie, but when I read what your intention was and what had been cut, you peaked my interest. By removing the beginning and the end, I think you get a respectable war movie. But I think, with removing the sentimental scene which gives the reason for saving private Ryan, you get a movie which questions morale, I think the doubt about their missions might come on stronger. I really would like to see this fanedit.

Back
Top Bottom