• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Saved in the Edit: Farscape "Scratch N Sniff"

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Farscape is a sci-fi series that starts off slow, but reaches the operatic in theme and scale. But like all series, there are "filler" episodes that don't advance the overall plot.

One of these filler episodes was Series 3's "Scratch n Sniff." Knowing that the episode was not only filler, but substandard, in its original form, this episode was EXPERTLY edited (prior to broadcast) to result in one of the freshest, wildest, FUNNIEST Farscape episodes imaginable.

Rather than tell a strictly linear story, the edit "re-tells" the story in a hangover-induced recalling of the events of the past few days. It's a masterpiece of editing, sure to give a faneditor or two a source of inspiration in tackling similar weak storylines.

The official episode is free to watch (with ads):

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually love the Farscape one-offs. Many of them (like this one) are super creative and hearken back to the original Star Trek episodes in the way they explored a specific concept using the character archetypes. "Through the Looking Glass" is another creative episode like this one, though my favorite is probably "A Human Reaction."

keithbk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting details regarding this particular story is that the original script called for the episode to be a dark noir detective story.

The ending was originally recorded to be COMPLETELY different. John and D'Argo are essentially forgiven by Pilot with no reference to them being banished from Moya further. After leaving Pilot's den they find Raxil who, despite her involvement in the "milking" technology, has been taken on board Moya. Raxil enthuses about potential future adventures, but D'Argo and John inform her that she will be let off on a nearby industrial planet and her data chip is destroyed. The only aspects of this scene to survive to the final edit were a quick shot of D'Argo and John arguing in Pilot's chamber, and a shot of them sharing a "high-five". This material was recorded, but eventually rejected during the radical editing process that resulted in the story we enjoy now.

Apparently, there are 1300 jump edits in this story, according to one website.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Farscape is one of my all-time favorite shows, but it's hard to get anyone I know into it. It's just too weird.

Sunflight

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I adored Farscape, and Scratch N Sniff was one of my favourite episodes.

Top Bottom