• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Savage Sword of Conan: Mask of Archeron

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Brief Synopsis:
Adding the original Basil Poledouris soundtrack from the original Conan Films, and removing 28mins from the film, this is a faster more action packed version of the new Conan Film.

Intention:
This edit was more for Fun, then Technical like my other Edits.
I just thought it would be nice to incorporate the Basil Soundtrack into this film. There are probably many things that I could of done to this edit if I was really looking at it to do a Technical cut, but truth is some of the cuts where for pacing, others where to better incorporate the Basil soundtrack. There where certain scenes removed for pacing as well as shots, and dialog, that where just annoying or outright terrible.
I didn’t really want to spend a lot of time on this edit, so there could be a few flaws here and there, for that I’m sorry.

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think there was a mix up after my Prometheus: SE Edit... I dunno if it was a mistype or on my submission form, but just so everyone is aware, this edit is not available in 3D... Only Prometheus: SE available on 3D Blu-Ray.

Sorry about that...

-A9

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This review is based upon watching the .MP4.

I love the Hyborian World of Robert E. Howard. I discovered the ACE paperbacks in the late 70s and gobbled them up. Then I discovered the Marvel Comics Conan series, and I quickly gobbled them up too. When I finally saw the original movie starring the Arnold on HBO, I was so excited to see the world of Howard come to life. When the movie ended, I was a very mixed up 13 year old. I liked the movie. Really liked it. It was fun, action packed, violent and filled with sorcery. Plus, I think it was the first ever R rated movie I had ever seen. But it was not the Conan I envisioned or had read about. It was my first hard lesson about the cinematic adaptation of beloved novels... LOL.

When I read about the 2011 remake, I was cautiously optimistic. I went into the movie hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. What I got was something in between. Visually the movie looked like Hyborian World as vividly described by Howard. And Jason Momoa was a far superior Conan in my opinion. But the actual story was a bit all over the place, at times playing too much homage to the novels instead of staying focused. And the score, which was the absolute best part of the first movies, was average and functional.

Which brings us to Agent 9's third fan edit and the one I held the highest anticipation. And I must say, this exciting new editor has delivered a pretty sweet and tasty piece of entertainment!

This version of Conan is very tightly cut and story driven. Maybe slightly over so, as many of the complexities of Conan's character are lost with the exclusion of the slave subplot. But story does move at very brisk pace, and you are never bored. Though there is for me one glaring plot error -- the sudden and unexplained appearance of Artus and his ship at a key point. It really does not make any sense in this new narrative since all his set up was removed. But I understand why the editor made this choice and once you get past this, the story moves along like a roller coaster ride.

I love the addition of the Mako opening and closing narration but the editor had this voice over occurring with a black screen which I found uninteresting. I think some sort of imagery should have been included to enhance the narration... either images of a Hyborian map or lift video of ancient kingdoms (maybe from KULL?) or old King Conan or even just plain title cards.

There a couple cuts/audio transitions that could have been slightly smoothed out but otherwise the video work is beautiful looking.

And now the score. As I said before, the best part of the original Conan movies is the Basil Poledouris music and its addition to this fan edit is a joyously welcomed one. What an incredible difference! The movie instantly becomes elevated into something better and greater! Amazing work Agent 9! Though I did notice that in scenes with dialogue, the music was too loud making it difficult to clearly understand what the characters were saying.

This was a fun fan edit and while not perfect, it does feel like an epic Conan adventure. I recommend it to all Conan addicts.

wulfman17

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the Soundtrack from Milius Conan the Barbarian, and thought it interesting to use it for the Momoa-Conan. But with the dlc I don't get the last container. I get 28 parts, but Jdownloaderunrar calls for Part 29. I tried the dlc several times, but got only 01 to 28. Is it me doing something wrong? Is it a problem with Jdownloader? Or is the last piece missing?

SKYflix

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. LOVED Conan The Barbarian with Arnold.
2. LOVED the score of Basil Poledouris.
3. Liked the 2011 movie, with the visuals and Jason Momoa. It's particularly the last quarter of movie that prevented it from loving it.

So count me in for seeing that one!

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wulfman17 said:
I love the Soundtrack from Milius Conan the Barbarian, and thought it interesting to use it for the Momoa-Conan. But with the dlc I don't get the last container. I get 28 parts, but Jdownloaderunrar calls for Part 29. I tried the dlc several times, but got only 01 to 28. Is it me doing something wrong? Is it a problem with Jdownloader? Or is the last piece missing?

I just sent you all the links to each indiv. file... Hopefully that will help and you'll get what you need. All the files work, so maybe just an issue with the DLC.

-A9

Darkholme

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. Just watching this now. FYI, you spelled Jason Momoa wrong in the opening credits.

However, the pacing, music, and story were fantastic. Very fast paced, action-packed, Conan pulp movie. Excellent. I loved all 85 minutes of it.

Agent9

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Darkholme said:
Hmm. Just watching this now. FYI, you spelled Jason Momoa wrong in the opening credits.

However, the pacing, music, and story were fantastic. Very fast paced, action-packed, Conan pulp movie. Excellent. I loved all 85 minutes of it.

Ya, I realized this after I had released it. After all the viewings and going through it, I never caught it until I released it online, at that point I just said, screw it. LOL... Thanks for watching though, glad you enjoyed it..

Could you put up a review for this - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
A9

Legolas1309

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, everyone ! I just joined the forums specifically to get ahold of this verison of the movie. I loved the original 1982 one and the 2011 one is a guilty pleasure of mine. Visually, its a superb adaptation and Momoa is a great Conan, but soundtrack-wise...I wouldn't really use the 2011 one for training, not inspiring enough. So when I heard about this, I simply had to see it !

How do I get ahold of it ?

Thank you :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Legolas1309 said:
Hi, everyone ! I just joined the forums specifically to get ahold of this verison of the movie. I loved the original 1982 one and the 2011 one is a guilty pleasure of mine. Visually, its a superb adaptation and Momoa is a great Conan, but soundtrack-wise...I wouldn't really use the 2011 one for training, not inspiring enough. So when I heard about this, I simply had to see it !

How do I get ahold of it ?

Thank you :)

Please read this (at the top of every page and pasted here for your convenience):
If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

Legolas1309

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have already read that last night and tried the info site (unaffiliated), but all the links there were dead. I own the original Blu-ray of the movie(s). But ok, I'll take this to private messaging.

Top Bottom