• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SAGA OF THE APES (4 Planet of the Apes films in 1)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tn_788__apes-front-1353307723.jpg

Fanedit Title: Saga Of The Apes
Faneditor Name: BionicBob
Tagline: THE TIMELINES EDITION
Original Movie Title: Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970); Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972); Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971); Planet of the Apes (1968)
Genre: Science Fiction

Fanedit Type: FanMix
Original Release Date: 1968/1970/1971/1972
Original Running Time: 112/94/97/86
Fanedit Release Date: November 2012
Fanedit Running Time (Min): 183
Time Cut (Min): N/A
Time Added (Min): N/A

Brief Synopsis:
A story over 2,000 years in the making!

Watch history twist, change and unfold as the past and future collide!

Observe the fall of Man and the rise of the Apes!

Intention:
To combine the first four classic Planet of the Apes films into one singular, mind boggling, time twisting, circular narrative!
To tell this titanic tale of the Fall of Man and the Rise of the Apes, a multi-screen story format has been used, with stories unfolding in different time lines simultaneously before your eyes!

So have your dvd remote in hand, keep your finger hovering over the Pause and Rewind Button, and prepare yourself for epic adventure sensory overload spread over two volumes of alternate future history action!

Prepare yourself for THE SAGA OF THE APES!!!

Editing Details:
AMOUNT OF TIME CUT/ADDED:
Honestly, I have no clear idea... LOL!
Between what is cut and where movies overlap... it's a madhouse of editing.
Anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes cut from each movie.

Cuts and Additions:
Too much to list everything.

Release Information
NTSC DVD-5

Special Features
--About This Edit
--Trailers
--Ape Art Gallery
--Deleted Scenes

Other Sources:
Battle of the Planet of the Apes (1973)
Planet of the Ape TV Series (1974)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Special Thanks:
My Volume One Previewers, Rogue my Artist Extraordinaire, and all those who supported this project.

Last edited:

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
congrats on getting this edit finished now i'll have no excuse to buy the planet of the apes box-set i've had my eye on for a while

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great stuff Bob. Congrats on finishing. Looking forward to watching both volumes very soon. As soon as I've done so, I'll get a review done ;)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always been a fan of the Apes series. Looking forward to this edit becoming available.

ajroach42

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
I've always been a fan of the Apes series. Looking forward to this edit becoming available.

Ditto, can't wait to see it.

What is your distribution plan?

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So eager to see the finished product!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First, I just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU to NEGLIFY for assisting me with getting this edit submitted.
I swear this guy is a Living Saint! :angel:

Second, I wanted to thank everyone for their interest and support with this project.

I hope it meets your expectations.

Though I honestly do not believe every one will enjoy this edit. Many may take issue with the story telling style, in particular the overlapping timelines and closing acts. I was not joking in my write up when I said to keep your DVD Remote in hand and be ready to hit either the Pause or Rewind Button many times. There is a lot of information and imagery thrown at the viewer, so there will be times where you may want to rewatch a scene to fully catch both time line events.

Personally, I think it is both a challenging and fun viewing experience. But it will not be for everyone.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.:D

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching disc 1. Detailed review below.

FUCKING AWESOME

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will give these a detailed watch during the next few days. But, from what ive seen so far, looking good.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
watched both volumes back to back last night it was a blast watching these films in this style, just posted my review. big thanks and well done on your edit :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leeroy said:
watched both volumes back to back last night it was a blast watching these films in this style, just posted my review. big thanks and well done on your edit :)

Thanks for the review Leeroy.

I agree Volume Two is the more "challenging" of the two. Both BENEATH and CONQUEST were far more plot/continuity heavy than the two Ape films in Volume One, and they do not naturally compliment each other as easily as PLANET and ESCAPE do but I think there were enough parallels to bounce the two stories off each other.

But I happy you overall enjoyed your viewing experience! :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You ever have one of those moments?:shock:

Total face palm!

Complete humiliation!

Overwhelming embarrassment!

On Volume One, in the opening dedication I have misspelled Roddy McDowall's name!:oops::-o:-(

My most humble apologies.

Oh well, it would not be a Bionic Bob fan edit without some sort of spelling error or sound issue....:lol::lol::lol:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
You ever have one of those moments?:shock:
On Volume One, in the opening dedication I have misspelled Roddy McDowall's name!:oops::-o:-(

Yeah, in the first version of War of the Stars II I misspelled Ian mcdiarmid into Ian mcdiarmiNd.
Luckily for me there were enough other errors in the subtitles to justify to make a version two.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it loved it. Submitted my (glowing) review to IFDb.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
Saw it loved it. Submitted my (glowing) review to IFDb.

Thank you very much for your very kind and splendid review Dom!

As you and others have pointed out, Volume Two is structured very differently than Volume One.
In Volume One, POTA and ESCAPE naturally compliment each other in terms of narration, as they both have the same basic story beats.

But I knew going in Volume Two would not be the same animal. BENEATH and CONQUEST do not obviously balance each other out, even though both stories are about the Fall of Man and Ape. So instead of even attempting the exact same story style, I attempted to use more a "cliffhanger" story structure, rather than try to force the stories to be obvious parallels (even though I think there are many subtle parallels with BENEATH and CONQUEST) like they were in Volume One.

As for the observation that Volume Two may have been stronger with greater emphasis on Caesar, particularly during the last act, it is a tricky thing, as I view both stories equally important, and tried not let one have greater importance over the other.

One thing that became clear to me while editing CONQUEST, when examined closely, Caesar really does not have much of a story or character. He is really more of a plot device or instrument to make events happen. With CONQUEST I struggled with not enough meat to work with, while BENEATH was overloaded with essential (though even I admit, boring) continuity. But in the end, I can not thinking of another way of combining the two flicks in this particular style and still keep it entertaining.:)

Top Bottom