• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Safe converter and iMovie questions

twckfa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello - is there a safe converter out there online for converting your dvd's into mp4 etc or do you think its better to purchase something?

Also - just getting into this and want to do simple edit with cuts, adding things. Using iMovie - can you overlay audio with another soundtrack and how does that work? or is better to purchase something else - final cut etc?

Thanks

DVDfab for ripping.

And dvdFab is safe? Just wandering...this is my gf computer and want to be sure its safe.

Thanks

Handbrake for mpeg2 -> mpeg4 BUT I think you want to take a step back and make sure you get your workflow in order before you start. You don't want to convert it and then edit it. I'd spend a bunch of time googling and reading before you go with the first recipe you find.

twckfa said:
And dvdFab is safe? Just wandering...this is my gf computer and want to be sure its safe.

Thanks

Yes, it's a legit program, used by thousands, just make sure you get it from their site.

And yeah, Cart/Horse here. I would do some research into what you'll be editing with before committing to ripping a certain way. I can tell you that you'll likely find yourself wishing for more abilities if you edit with iMovie.

So, in another thread, pretty much everyone said that Any Video Converter is terrible, and suggested that I use something like DVD Fab instead. But while programs like that are good for ripping the files in the first place, what should I use for converting the VOB files into MPG or something else workable?

I ask because I tried to rip the files of my family's home movies last night and had no end of problems with AVC. It kept giving me error messages ("Insert failed!") and then when it would finally add the VOB file, it would claim that the file was only 5 or 6 seconds long, instead of 15 minutes like it ought to be.

This bears repeating: All I was trying to do was edit my home movies, which clearly have no copyright protection on them, and AVC was giving me more crap than anything else I've tried to do. So I agree with everyone that AVC is garbage.

But the question is, what now? Since DVD Fab won't let me use the "HD Decrypter" function for some reason, I tried DVD Shrink, but again, that's only for ripping the files off of the disc. What's the best converter freeware that people here would recommend?

TomH1138 said:
So, in another thread, pretty much everyone said that Any Video Converter is terrible, and suggested that I use something like DVD Fab instead. But while programs like that are good for ripping the files in the first place, what should I use for converting the VOB files into MPG or something else workable?

VOB2MPG

So far, so good. It did both steps in one (ripping and converting), it did it in less time, and it did all in one file! I haven't started editing yet, but at the moment, I'm in love with this thing.

TV's Frink said:
Tom, for converting from almost any format to any format, the first thing you can do is google "x to x videohelp."

Sure, but I was looking for a recommendation, not just whatever Google gave me. Back when I first started doing this, I typed in "Video Converter" and got AVC as the first result. And you see how well that worked out!

It's not just a google search. It will send you to videohelp.com.

: This should work on any game which uses an MSI file.

First make sure the game you are having problems with is uninstalled!
Then Delete the folder where you were trying to install too.

Download the ‘Windows Installer Clean Up’ program from HERE and install it.

Once installed, if the program doesn’t start automatically then start it from the Start Menu\Programs menu.

When the program starts it will run through your system and list most/all programs installed.

Find the offending game (For example find Call of Duty 4 in the list)
Highlight the game and Click ‘Remove’.

Exit the program and now you will be able to install your game from your converted DVDs.
The installer will now recognize DVD2.

Back
Top Bottom