• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

RUIN a great movie with a hilariously misjudged end credits song!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A great end credits song can be a fantastic capper to a film: think of Zodiac's "Hurdy-Gurdy Man" and Premium Rush's "Baba O'Reilly," to name just two. That's not what this game is about, though. This game is about utterly RUINING a good movie with a hilariously misjudged end credits song. Just imagine: you gather your friends together for a home screening of Jurassic Park, but, unbeknownst to them, you've made one teeensy change. At the end, as the helicopter flies into the sunset, instead of John Williams' classic score, one hears... "Jurassic Park" by Weird Al Yankovic. Hilarity!

Of course, merely pairing a movie with a randomly inappropriate song is too easy. Most movies, from Casablanca to Spotlight, could utterly defaced by Smash Mouth's "All Star" playing over the end credits. (Well, Casablanca doesn't actually have end credits, but one gets the idea.) The trick, and the humor, lies in picking a song that's germane enough to the movie to not baffle potential viewers as to why it's there, but also schlocky/ironic/altogether misjudged enough to be hilariously, horribly misjudged. The point is to make the audience groan, and possibly even hurl, not to scratch their heads.

So, let the games begin! (It may help to quote a lyric or two along with one's movie/song selections, for clarity's sake.) Of course, I have a few to get us started...

- Mad Max: Fury Road: "The Way" by Fastball ("Anyone can see the road that they walk on is paved in gold/And it's always summer, they'll never get cold...")

- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: "Father Figure" by George Michael ("I'll be your daddy...")

- Seven: "Out of My Head" by Fastball

- The Social Network: "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba (the humor here lies in the sheer incongruity of the pick: the movie isn't about Zuckerberg being knocked down and getting up again; he just keeps rising and rising)

- Ex Machina: "She Blinded Me with Science" by Thomas Dolby ("Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!")

- Psycho: "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads

- Skyfall, Spectre, or any of the last three Mission: Impossible films, or MacGruber: "Extreme Ways" by Moby. (Wouldn't work as well with No Time to Die, though.)

- 1984, or The Lives of Others: "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell

- Downfall: "War" by Edwin Starr

- The Matrix: "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes (bonus, this song was used prominently and repeatedly in the Wachowskis' Sense8!)

- Unforgiven: "Cowboy" by Kid Rock

- Avengers: Infinity War: "Missing You" by John Waite

... This thread may or may not have been inspired by the hilarious YouTube channel "Walk of Life Project", in which the opening bars of the jaunty Dire Straits song is applied to all kinds of films:

Your turn, all! :)

- Psycho: "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads

^ You said "ruin" right? ;)

How about Predator + Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran.

"Stalked in the forest, too close to hide.
I'll be upon you by the moonlight side.
High blood drumming on your skin, it's so tight.
You feel my heat, I'm just a moment behind.
In touch with the ground.
I'm on the hunt I'm after you.
A scent and a sound, I'm lost and I'm found
And I'm hungry like the wolf."

No editing needed. This one does a pretty good job all by itself (spoilers):

Dr Strangelove - Firework by Katy Perry

Fight Club - Firework by Katy Perry

Joker - Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit

A different version of Blue Moon could work in Werewolf:

I reckon George Michael's Freedom would work a treat at the end of Braveheart:

Blade Runner's final message (in either version) is about being in love with a machine so:

Last edited:
The Matrix - Barney the Dinosaur theme song

Avengers: Infinity War - All Over the World by Electric Light Orchestra

The Dark Knight - The batman theme. No, the 1960s one

Toy Story 3 - Burn in Hell by Twisted Sister

Independence Day - Ohio by Crosby, Stills, and Nash

Schindler's List - Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones

Every Jason Bourne movie - Baby Love by Diana Ross and the Supremes

Almost every movie - Chacarron Macarron

That's what I've got off the top of my head so far. I could have a fun game with this.

Any christian or religious themed movie - X Gon Give It to Ya by DMX

Actually, come to think of it, that might be an improvement. Never mind, I guess.

When I saw the movie Fury in theaters, after getting back to the car and turning it on the radio was playing "Baby Keep Smiling" by Lou Bega. My friends and I busted up laughing. The ending of Fury was so bleak and depressing, but this song somehow kinda fit perfectly!

I've since watched the movie and played the song over the credits for fun, and I honestly don't think I could ever watch it any other way.

Nothing defines the ending of Requiem for a Dream like a really super happy upbeat song.

• Haha
Reactions: Nic
The only thing that could follow the sad funeral of Sigourney Weaver's character at the end of 1988's 'Gorillas in the Mist' is this:

End Awakenings (1990) with "You've got a friend in me" from Toy Story. You will cry.

No change needed, these are *ugh* right out of the box:
- License to Kill ends with "If you asked me to" by Patti LaBelle.
- The Shadow ends with "Original Sin" by Taylor Dayne.

My mind is trying to come up with a movie that can be ruined with One Week by Barenaked Ladies. The best I can come up with is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom