• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Router Modification

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Netgear DG834GT routers as you can use the rather superb DGTeam custom firmware which allows you to tweak the Downstream SNR to increase your download speed.

Mine is set at 10% and I get a sustained 2Mbyte/sec whereas with it set at 100% I get around 1.5-1.6 MByte/sec. Quite a bid speed difference you'll agree.

The only problem with these routers is that they run pretty hot and particularly if you're pushing one to it's limits then they can go pop, since this is exactly what happened to my last one I figured I wasn't going to let that happen again.

So a bit of googling, recycling some old chipset heatsinks from some spare boards I had lying around and getting my dremel out I came up with this.

imag0035ljt.jpg

There is a smaller heatsink behind the big one and they are attached with a little dab of copper ease and a couple of drips of superglue in the corners to hold them in place.

Since making the mod I have had no dropouts and my connection is stable and fast. The browser based GUI also seems quite a bit quicker as well.

Total cost: £0

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Way cool, reminds me a lot of my many days (and nights) spent in the electronics lab as an undergrad student.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very nice, the router I used to have with my old service provider always burned out, I think I shipped three back to them with the message "stop sending these pieces of shit." nice to know about a mod like this

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The HDD under the router was my first attempt at passive cooling and has now been rendered obsolete, ity used to get nearly as hot as the router but with the new mod its temperature doesn't change at all.

melindawa56

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve always recommended that do not take the router from your internet service provider. If your internet is working slow on ethernet you should check that if your ethernet cable is plugged in correctly or is not damaged. Make sure that you have the latest ethernet drivers and your device has the latest version of the operating system. Click here to check your internet ptcl speed test here. Also, make sure that whether or not your device contains any kind of virus or malware. And the last thing that you have to check is that you are not running any peer-to-peer programs. If all of this is working fine, you should check the speed of your internet because sometimes you are not getting enough speed on the internet and that’s why you are facing this problem. You can use this site for help .

Top Bottom