• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone! I’m the editor of the Maple Films version of the Hobbit (JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit). For my second fanedit, I’ve decided to make a version of Rogue One that revolves entirely around the Battle of Scarif. This was the most exciting sequence in the film by far, and I feel would make for an exciting short film.

HJgQdYC.jpg

In order to make The Battle of Scarif stand on its own (meaning you wouldn’t necessarily need to see all of Rogue One to understand what happens in this cut), I’m making the following edits and adjustments:

• Insertion of an opening crawl (of course!). It will summarize the events that occur during the course of Rogue One that lead to the Scarif battle.
  • First scene of the film is the confrontation between Krennic and Darth Vader, with some adjusted dialogue for Vader.
  • The Rebels will still bicker over going to war, but this stuff will be trimmed. As will Cassian’s super long monologue about the Rebellion.
  • I never found myself that invested in Rogue One’s characters to begin with, so a number of “character” scenes and lines will be adjusted. The main focus of the edit will be the battle itself and the actual recovery of the Death Star plans.
  • Insertion of classic Star Wars music cues from John Williams. I’ve been going through the entire saga OST and will be dropping tracks where appropriate. Most people have agreed that Giacchino’s score just didn’t cut it. Not that I totally blame him; apparently he had 3-4 weeks to write and conduct everything.
  • Various SFX enhancements. This is big. Because I’m adding new music cues throughout the film, this means that I have to remove some of Giacchino’s cues. Unfortunately the music sometimes bleeds across the 5.1 audio channels with the sound effects, meaning that I’ve had to rebuild the sound design for entire scenes where John Williams’ music is now. This has been by far the most time-consuming part of the edit, but thankfully there are some really great Star Wars SFX libraries online that I’ve been able to use for this.
  • A light sprinkling of those old-school wipes and transitions from the other Star Wars films. Why not?
  • The film ends with Vader slicing and dicing Rebel scum, and watching as the Tantive IV flies away. Leia’s scene has been cut.
  • With credits and everything, the runtime of the edit will be around 45-50 minutes.
So there you go. If you’re in the mood to watch Rogue One but would rather skip the attempts at character development and Forest Whitaker’s pet tentacle monster, pull up Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif and jump straight to the ‘splosions. As with my Hobbit fanedit, The Battle of Scarif will be edited in HD with 5.1 surround sound to ensure the highest possible audio/visual quality. I’ve been working off the digital copy up to now, but will purchase the Bluray on April 4 and link my edits to that source instead.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds intriguing. Especially the rescoring.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Good luck on that!

I don't think you meant it this way, but usually that's taken to mean "no way that will work!"

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Being beyond disappointed with the new Star Wars films, I'm greatly looking forward to this.

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Being beyond disappointed with the new Star Wars films, I'm greatly looking forward to this.

It's really surprising how much the John Williams music is improving Rogue One so far. Now I can't say the same thing for The Force Awakens however, as they had Williams do the score and it was underwhelming IMO.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Andreas said:

It's really surprising how much the John Williams music is improving Rogue One so far. Now I can't say the same thing for The Force Awakens however, as they had Williams do the score and it was underwhelming IMO.
I think Rigue One is the most solid Star Wars film since Empire. And I was invested in the characters. I cared more about a droid's death in R1 than I cared about Han Solo's. That said, I'm looking forward to hearing what you do with Williams' score.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Andreas said:

I'm working on a silent short edit of The Force Awakens now and I Planned to put some musics from other SW movies here and there, but so far I am very pleased with the use of Force Awakens music only.
It's maybe not as iconic as the original trilogy nor as catchy as Dual of The Fate but it reveals itself on repeats, IMO ( and hey, at east it's better than Indiana Jone 4 music!)
I like that Williams didn't use too much regular SW musics. Force Awakens was already a sort of SW "best of" in its plot and events, the use of too much known themes would have been too much.

TK251

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How is this coming along? Would love to test it for you if needed

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TK251 said:
How is this coming along? Would love to test it for you if needed

It's coming along really well. I just bought the Bluray on Tuesday, and thank goodness it is the exact same length as the digital copy so re-linking my edited material was easy.

I am still working on sound editing for a few sequences and have a little bit of After Effects work to do, but the edit is already 90% done. I'll try uploading a couple test scenes in the next few days!

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I have a finished scene from the edit that I can share. I'm assuming the mods pulled the Youtube link, so just PM me if you're interested in watching. It’s the hammerhead attack on the Star Destroyers, with new music and updated sound effects. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I’m going for here!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Ok, I have a finished scene from the edit that I can share. I'm assuming the mods pulled the Youtube link, so just PM me if you're interested in watching. It’s the hammerhead attack on the Star Destroyers, with new music and updated sound effects. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what I’m going for here!

I didn't pull any link.

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's weird, I definitely had a post with a YouTube link that went MIA. Out of curiosity then, am I able to share the video clip in this thread?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
am I able to share the video clip in this thread?

Yep.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rebuilding sound is total gruntverk. well done, man.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
That's weird, I definitely had a post with a YouTube link that went MIA. Out of curiosity then, am I able to share the video clip in this thread?

Generally the forum software will be able to embed video from most services like YouTube or Vimeo that allow you to upload video primarily for streaming. These services have their own rules and copyright regulations and content filters, and generally we (the staff) find that's "good enough" because the files uploaded aren't made available for public downloading anyway.

File sharing services are what you want to avoid, like Dropbox or Google Drive or Mega, where the purpose of the service is primarily file sharing or allowing downloads. Even if a secondary function of some of these services is streaming video files, the biggest rule we're concerned with following is making sure our forum doesn't allow direct downloads to copyright material. We would pull a link like that, but we'd also say something about it and reference the rules.

Glad the video embed is working for you now. I have no idea what caused your prior trouble.

Top Bottom