• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Roger Ebert gets his voice back...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roger Ebert has been unable to speak for several years. A Scottish company used many hours of his DVD commentaries to create a computerized version of his voice for him. Even in beta, it sounds quite impressive. Wait for it -- you'll definitely notice when the new voice kicks in.

http://gawker.com/5483834/roger-eberts- ... e-imagined

ETA: My wife's dad died of ALS in 2006. I never really got to hear him speak in his own voice, though I've heard a little bit in recordings. He was on the city council for years, and there are hundreds of hours of recordings of meetings. I really wish this had been around sooner.

I had no idea! I saw him on television years ago and used to buy his film guides, but over the last few years I've simply read reviews of his online on Rotten Tomatoes and the like, so I guess I must have missed this.

That's impressive technology. It must be much nicer to have your own voice, rather than one of those synthesiser-type voices that sound alike.

we are one step closer to the war with the machines.

He looks so unrecognizable now. And his mouth looks very strange. Almost like he's got a piece of string in his mouth and somebody is pulling down. It's so weird to see him like that. And who's that woman? Is it his wife?

Frantic Canadian said:
He looks so unrecognizable now. And his mouth looks very strange. Almost like he's got a piece of string in his mouth and somebody is pulling down. It's so weird to see him like that. And who's that woman? Is it his wife?

His mouth does look strange, yes, but it's because they removed his lower jaw, and attempts to reconstruct it have been unsuccessful, so much so that he refuses to try again. He hasn't been able to eat or drink in a long time as a result, so he's also dropped a lot of weight. I'm not sure who the woman is; does anyone know?

ETA: Actually, frantic, you're right -- it is his wife, Chaz Hammelsmith-Ebert...and according to at least one source I read, one reason he appeared on Oprah is that he used to date her, long before she became famous.

Captain Khajiit said:
That's impressive technology. It must be much nicer to have your own voice, rather than one of those synthesiser-type voices that sound alike.

I would think so, yes. I'd really give anything to have been able to have talked more to my wife's dad and to have heard his "real" voice.

He used to date Oprah?!? Damn! That must of been a long time ago.

hebrides said:
I'd really give anything to have been able to have talked more to my wife's dad and to have heard his "real" voice.

From your posts, it sounds like you're still pretty upset, Hebrides. I don't really know what to say, man. I'm sorry for your loss.

Captain Khajiit said:
hebrides said:
I'd really give anything to have been able to have talked more to my wife's dad and to have heard his "real" voice.

From your posts, it sounds like you're still pretty upset, Hebrides. I don't really know what to say, man. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I am, especially for my wife. Mostly, though, I'm just really impressed that the technology has come so far in such a short time; that's the main reason I shared this.

Back
Top Bottom