• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rocky V - The 80's Remix by Last Survivor

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
zQ2ctFw.jpg

Original title: Rocky V

Fanedit title: Rocky V - The 80's Remix

Studio: MGM/United Artists
Faneditor: Last Survivor
Originally Released: November 1990
Fanedit released: October 2012
Original running time: 104 minutes
New running time: 82 minutes approx
Cut time: 22 minutes
Started Edit: April 2012
Completed Edit: September 2012

Synopsis and Purpose of Edit:

After the fight of his life against Russia's seemingly unstoppable Ivan Drago, Rocky Balboa finds himself returning home to America with not only the realisation that he's suffering from brain damage, but also that he's suddenly facing bankruptcy due to illicit dealings from his accountant. Unable to step back into ring, one last opportunity presents itself in the unlikely form of boxer, Tommy Gunn, a fan of Rocky's who asks the Italian Stallion to manage him and teach him everything he knows.

As one victory follows another, it isn't long before Tommy is eyeing up the heavyweight championship championship of the world. Along the way however, Rocky becomes so obsessed with tasting success again that he doesn't realise that he faces losing the most important aspect of his life - his family.

The intention with this “80’s Cut”, is to try and trim some of Stallone’s over the top performance, remove all of the hip-hop music and replace it with 80’s tunes bringing it more in line with Rocky III and IV, address the issue of Rocky Jnr ageing about 3 years overnight and present a substantially shortened version of the street fight to make it more realistic.

Cutlist:

- Opening sequence re-scored

- Removed scene where Rocky arrives back in the States to a fanfare and press conference.

- Cut scenes when Rocky and family return to the Balboa mansion, also removing scenes with Rocky and his son, plus when Adrian confronts Paulie and tells Rocky about the fact that all their money has suddenly gone. We now go straight from Adrian comforting Rocky in Russia after the fight with Drago to the office meeting with Rocky and his lawyers about the fact that they have suddenly become bankrupt.

- Removed all scenes with Robert (Rocky jnr) when the house is being sold

- After Rocky visits the old gym and remembers his time with Mickey, have trimmed the following scene to remove the shots of Rocky and family moving back to the old neighborhood. Instead, have added “1 year later” caption and we cut to Adrian talking to Duke on the phone.

- Cut Rocky walking his son to school

- Duke talking to Union Cane in his limo, cut.

- Cut Jewel's line to Rocky Jnr, "You know, for an Italian kid you ain't got a bad butt"

- Tommy’s first training sequence re-scored, and trimmed slightly, sound effects rebuilt

- Training sequence 2, re-scored and trimmed slightly, sound effects rebuilt

- Slightly trimmed Duke’s talk at the Christmas party with Tommy, changed background song

- Trimmed scene where Paulie impersonates Santa Clause due to obvious overacting on Stallone’s part

- Re-scored and heavily re-edited street fight to improve continuity and also to shorten the fight in an effort to make it slightly more realistic.

- New End credits with Rocky artwork added, re-scored.

Special Features:

Audio Commentary

Rocky V - Electro Version

Trailers

About the Edit

Technical Details:

16:9 Anamorphic. NTSC. Single Layer DVD.

Dolby AC3 Stereo.

Software used: Sony Vegas Pro 9.0, DVD Architect Pro 5.0, HC Encoder, Audacity, PgC Dmux, VirtualDub, Adobe Photoshop CS6

Special Thanks:

Sophie Payne, Bionic Bob, DwightFry, tylerdurden.

Rocky Faneditor's Diary....

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome! I failed to complete my Rocky marathon before this came out, so once I watch IV and V I'll check this one out. :)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
address the issue of Rocky Jnr ageing about 3 years overnight

^ This is my favorite part of your intention with this edit!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Winner and still champion.... Last Survivor!!!!

....cue Tom Conti Rocky fanfare!

I was privileged to watch the work print of this edit a few months back.

And it was very, very good.

But this final version?

WOW!

IT IS FANTASTIC!!!

This the Rocky V fans deserved. Thanks LS!

This edit gets to the core of what makes Rocky work as an iconic character and jettisons the over the top, caricature moments.
This FEELS like a Rocky movie!
While the original version just felt like it was suffering from an identity crisis... not quite a throw back/tribute to the original and not a true fleshed out worthy next chapter either.

The edited story is kept tight and focused, continuity issues are addressed and corrected, and the 80's rock style soundtrack infuses the new narrative with the perfect uplifting and inspirational energy!

Once again, Last Survivor has demonstrated his superior ability with sound replacement. The new opening titles, the two training montages and closing fight are all brilliant work. In fact, the new version of the street fight is so vastly superior to the original, I can not even imagine it being staged any other way.

All the new music choices work wonderfully, both in terms of sound and lyrics. I am glad LS stuck with the 80s rock sound and did not pursue the Electro Version soundtrack idea. As a bonus feature, an electro version of one the training montages is included, and I have to be honest, it left me completely cold.

In other bonus features, LS includes one of his famous commentaries. His passion for Rocky and Sylvestor Stallone is evident, and it was a joy to listen to his insights. It is a great commentary.

There is also a very cool teaser trailer for Last Survivor's next project, which he talks about briefly in his commentary. Not to spoil anything, but it looks awesome!;-)

Needless to say, technically this edit is excellent. The picture quality is almost equal to my dvd version and sound work is exceptional.

So if you have been wondering whether to download this edit or not, wonder no more -- this is a MUST SEE fan edit!

Pure Popcorn Fun!
Thumbs way UP!

Thanks for the great entertainment LS.:)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the comments guys and Bob, thank you so much for the detailed and very kind review. Glad you and Mrs Bob enjoyed the edit so much. In relation to the bonus "Electro version", Sophie completely agrees with you btw ;)

Heads up for everyone else wishing to download this edit. Mediafire being the usual nuisance it is, unfortunately the links only lasted a very short while. Indeed, I think Bob was the only person able to download it fully. I am currently uploading the edit to Rapidshare, so I would ask for your patience at this time. I'll let you know when they are available. I believe after this time, thanks to Neglify, the edit may turn up on Usenet as well.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And a note regarding Rapidshare. Use this site to help with download speeds. (Many many thanks to Addiesin for finding it.)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, good news. Rocky V 80's Remix is now up on Rapidshare. The DLC should be on fanedit.info soon, but in the meantime if you want the link, please PM me.

Enjoy :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
And a note regarding Rapidshare. Use this site to help with download speeds. (Many many thanks to Addiesin for finding it.)

Useful if you have the direct links, but can't use it when all you have is a dlc.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Useful if you have the direct links, but can't use it when all you have is a dlc.

Sure you can. You just use this site with the dlc to get the direct links.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The wonderful world of the Internet, where you learn a new thing every day. Thanks!

eeztheman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not a editing expert on anything like that (I would not dare to attempt some of the great stuff you guys churn out!), but I watched this Rocky V edit this afternoon with the missus, and all I can say is WOW!
The change of soundtrack really makes a massive difference, and the choices of the music fit perfectly to the scenes IMO.
The editing is seamless from what I can tell, Last Survivor has certainly made the weakest of the Rocky films so much better to watch......so a massive thumbs up from me!
I am also really excited learning more about the Rambo edit / series that Last Survivor has put as a trailer on the DVD......hopefully he will reveal more of his plans for this soon (fingers crossed).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is online via Usenet now. It should be on Info soon, or you can go to binsearch and find it.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks eeztheman for your review - much appreciated and really pleased you and your missus enjoyed the edit :)

And a big thank you to Neglify for making the edit available via Usenet. You sir, are too damn cool for words.

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed this edit as well. Though I don't mind the original music ( I thought it had lots of energy), your choices do make it fit better with the 4 movies that preceded it. Good job:).

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
Sure you can. You just use this site with the dlc to get the direct links.
Wow, what a combination! I started downloading it 3 hours ago with the DLC and after it kept losing its connection, I had a grand total of 20 MB downloaded. :| I stopped it and figured I'd just wait until it was uploaded elsewhere...until I saw this info from you and Neglify.

I'm using this method to get the first file right now and it's downloading at around 110 kb/s, which is certainly better than the 30 kb/s with RS! ;)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
I enjoyed this edit as well. Though I don't mind the original music ( I thought it had lots of energy), your choices do make it fit better with the 4 movies that preceded it. Good job:).

Thanks jamiemark. Glad you had fun with the edit.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Wow, what a combination! I started downloading it 3 hours ago with the DLC and after it kept losing its connection, I had a grand total of 20 MB downloaded. :| I stopped it and figured I'd just wait until it was uploaded elsewhere...until I saw this info from you and Neglify.

I'm using this method to get the first file right now and it's downloading at around 110 kb/s, which is certainly better than the 30 kb/s with RS! ;)

Still pretty slow though isn't it :( Best of luck downloading it all Ripplin. Let me know if you have any problems.

Waslah

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll have a full review when I can get around to it, LS, I'm really incredibly busy right now so getting the chance to sit down and share my thoughts in full is...well, not really possible at the moment unfortunately. For the time being I will say it's a tremendous edit, sir. I don't think it's as impressive as Jaws 3 was but I think that might be a problem with the material more so than the work done. I would like to have seen a slightly longer run time - as is it comes across a bit brief - but that aside I was thoroughly satisfied.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Still pretty slow though isn't it :( Best of luck downloading it all Ripplin. Let me know if you have any problems.
Yeah...I've found that out over the past couple of days. I only have the first 3 parts. The downloads keep stopping. I can't afford to download half, then restart over and over. I'll probably just go back to JD.

P.S. You need to update your signature! ;)

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I d/led with JD and it completed in roughly 3 hours, often running at 500kbs. Weird.

Top Bottom