• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rocky Horror Picture Show: The Original Version (Dr. Sapirstein)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NOTE: Dr. Sapirstein released this on his blog and I've made it an IFDB release because RHPS rocks.

879_rhps-front-136207866592.jpg

Fanedit Name: Rocky Horror Picture Show: The Original Version
Faneditor Name: Dr. Sapirstein
Tagline: Don't dream it... watch it!

Original Movie Title: Rocky Horror Picture Show
Genre: Musical
Fanedit Type: Special Project
Original Release Date: 1975
Original Running Time: 100 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: March 2013
Fanedit Running Time: 103 minutes
Time Added: 3 minutes

Available in HD? Yes

Brief Synopsis:
A newly engaged couple have a breakdown in an isolated area and must pay a call to the bizarre residence of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

Intention:
To create a high-definition version of this cult classic, as it was originally meant to be seen in 1975.

Cuts and Additions:
- The opening sequence is presented in black and white up to the "Time Warp", as originally planned during the production of the film. Unlike the bonus B&W feature on the DVD/BR releases, the red color of the "Science Fiction Double Feature" opening number has been preserved.
- The deleted scene with the song "Once In A While" sung by Brad has been restored.
- The original mono soundtrack has been recreated, with the original sound effects intact and with the original vocals by Trevor White on "The Sword Of Damocles" and "Rose Tint My World". The mono mix also includes the alternate version of the ending credits, as once included in the original 1977 home-video release.
- Also included is a new 5.1 mix presented in DTS (audio 2), and a cast commentary with Richard O'Brien and Patricia Quinn (audio 3).

Release Information:
MKV

Video Specs:
* MKV Matroska [8.9gb]
* Video: 103mn, h264, HD-1080p, 10mb/s, 1920x1080, 23,976fps.
* Audio track 1: original Mono mix recreated [lossless FLAC, 1.0]
* Audio track 2: new 5.1 mix [lossless DTS 5.1]
* Audio track 3: cast commentary [ac3 224k 1.0]

Coolness, but as I understand it

he's using the lips intro, which looks like crap in B&W. Why not the film clips intro?

Don't know. I do not pretend to understand everything about the Doc.

Neglify said:
Unlike the bonus B&W feature on the DVD/BR releases, the red color of the "Science Fiction Double Feature" opening number has been preserved.

Just checked the video, lips are in color.

Kind of a no man's land version, then. I still think there's room for a version that recreates the film clips opening (and has the 4:3 up to Time Warp and the switch to color happening on Frank's lips). I might do it myself one day if no one else calls dibs on it.

Dwight Fry said:
I still think there's room for a version that recreates the film clips opening (and has the 4:3 up to Time Warp and the switch to color happening on Frank's lips). I might do it myself one day if no one else calls dibs on it.

That's an aweful long time to have something window-boxed don't you think?

Dwight Fry said:
Think of it as a Brainstorm-like experiment.

brainstorm technical specs said:
Aspect ratio

2.35 : 1 (partly) (35 mm prints)
1.85 : 1 (partly)
2.20 : 1 (partly)

So I'm guessing that one is using multiple ratios then eh?

Thanks for posting it here Neglify!

But guys...
Cutting the intro with Mr O'Brien's lips, one of the coolest thing ever seen on screen?
Pan-and-scanning the film up to the "Time Warp"?
I see I'm not the only one who's partied too hard this week-end.

Just checked the video, lips are in color.
Of course they are. That nasty B/W bonus on the BluRay was ludicrous. :-o

dr.sapirstein said:
Cutting the intro with Mr O'Brien's lips, one of the coolest thing ever seen on screen?

Ms. Quinn's. ;-) Agree they're complete awesomeness, but starting the movie in color then going to B&W for a while might ruin the intended effect when it goes back to color.

dr.sapirstein said:
That nasty B/W bonus on the BluRay was ludicrous. :-o

Abso-friggin-lutely. Whose ill-conceived idea was that?

Dwight Fry said:
Ms. Quinn's. ;-)
(hiding my face in shame) Absolutely, Ms. Quinn's lovely mouth and mr. O'Brien's vocie.... Sorry, it was late ;)

just watched this. great commentary/audio tracks.
Brilliant choice to use black and white right to the point where the doors flung open to reveal the big Time Warp dance and viola- color again. Bold dramatic and awesome (much like the editior):D

Really want to get this - but the torrent is downloading at 1 and 2 kb/s! :-(

Review left on IFDB:

This was awesome! A must-see for any Rocky Horror fans. Picture was beautiful 1080p (even though this movie looks better in lower quality, especially in 35mm). I listened to the mono mix and it was astounding. I'm sure the 5.1 track is just as good. If the audio commentary is the same one on the DVD/BD it's a blast.

The only thing that could have made this better would be the inclusion of the audience participation audio track, but whatever I can edit it and mux it in myself.

Highly highly recommended for all RHPS fans.

A/V Quality: 10/10
Visual Editing: 9/10
Audio Editing: 9/10
Narrative: 9/10
Entertainment: 10/10

Neglify said:
Picture was beautiful 1080p (even though this movie looks better in lower quality, especially in 35mm).

You do know that 35mm is WAY higher quality than 1080p, don't you?

I worded badly. Film scratches and dust > HD clean.

With a great contribution from a RHPS fan (dunno if he wants to remain anonymous, I'll check with him), an extra edit to complement this preservation will be released soon :hippie:

Back
Top Bottom