• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Robocop Cable TV Edit HD Restoration Project

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks good so far. It astonishes me how dedicated you are to watering an R-rated gem down to Simpsons-level appeal. ^^

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Academy review complete and this is approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

I watched with the first of the 3 audio tracks (ITV dub) which was a real nostalgia trip back to how I first experienced 'Robocop' on TV with lines like "I don't have time for this baloney" feeling more like the legitimate version, than the uncensored cut I watched much later. Censored dubs of films like 'Robocop', 'Aliens' and various Arnie films were a fantastic action-movie "gateway drug" for 90s kids.

The primary audio track is for the most part seamless with only a few lines being noticeably changed at all. I dipped into the other two audio tracks from time to time and they sounded fine too. The "pan and scanned" 4:3 image looks very appropriate and the video is detailed and encoded well in HD. Loved the HD remake of the vintage TV intro.

Brief censored shots are minimal but range from acceptable SD to very poor VHS. As long as the ifdb listing gives viewers a clear warning to not expect 100% HD perfection throughout, then I'm okay with this. Without access to HD scans of these shots, it's as good as it can be.

Thanks @"kchrules" , your edit is "a bad mothercrusher". Thread moved to "special projects" I guess?

kchrules

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Academy review complete and this is approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

I watched with the first of the 3 audio tracks (ITV dub) which was a real nostalgia trip back to how I first experienced 'Robocop' on TV with lines like "I don't have time for this baloney" feeling more like the legitimate version, than the uncensored cut I watched much later. Censored dubs of films like 'Robocop', 'Aliens' and various Arnie films were a fantastic action-movie "gateway drug" for 90s kids.

The primary audio track is for the most part seamless with only a few lines being noticeably changed at all. I dipped into the other two audio tracks from time to time and they sounded fine too. The "pan and scanned" 4:3 image looks very appropriate and the video is detailed and encoded well in HD. Loved the HD remake of the vintage TV intro.

Brief censored shots are minimal but range from acceptable SD to very poor VHS. As long as the ifdb listing gives viewers a clear warning to not expect 100% HD perfection throughout, then I'm okay with this. Without access to HD scans of these shots, it's as good as it can be.

Thanks @"kchrules" , your edit is "a bad mothercrusher". Thread moved to "special projects" I guess?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

kchrules

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anybody would like to watch this, send me a PM

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
watching this and so far. very well done, and the brief moments that its not HD is barely a issue.
"bad mother crusher" who comes up with some of these tv word replacements.

Robolover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there!  I sent you a congratulations on a job well done to your email and a personal message of appreciation.  Please check it out in your email messages.  duanescottwalker is my email address.  I just wanted to say your work from what I've seen is truly amazing.  It must have took some long hard hours todo what you did.  Once again check your email.  Thank you

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read on Original Trilogy that MGM have taken action against this edit and removed it from MEGA. The Youtube channel hosting clips from the edit are also now unlisted.

Robolover

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a shame.  Sounds like such hard work and such a tribute to the TV edit we all grew up to will go to waste.  Sorry to hear that.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Arrow Video is releasing a new Blu-Ray with a TV Cut included in SD with some alternate scenes being in HD elsewhere on the disc. This could be a great source for a Version 2 of this edit. 
Arrow Video said:
  • Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
  • Robocop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements.
    arrow12.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Grud bless the folks at Arrow Video. That ^ could hardly be better.

kchrules

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Arrow Video is releasing a new Blu-Ray with a TV Cut included in SD with some alternate scenes being in HD elsewhere on the disc. This could be a great source for a Version 2 of this edit. 
Arrow Video said:
  • Edited-for-television version of the film, featuring alternate dubs, takes and edits of several scenes (95 mins, SD only)
  • Robocop: Edited For Television, a compilation of alternate scenes from two edited-for-television versions, newly transferred in HD from recently-unearthed 35mm elements.
    arrow12.jpg

Possibly! Well now that it's coming out I can officially announce that I helped compile some of the sources for this release. I've kept quiet about it for obvious reasons. I would love to revisit the edit at some point and plug some of that 35mm footage in (I myself have not seen it yet). I assume that's why my edit was taken down. I re-uploaded the link for my edit if you guys want to see it send me a pm

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kchrules said:
now that it's coming out I can officially announce that I helped compile some of the sources for this release. I've kept quiet about it for obvious reasons.

Fascinating. Care to elaborate some time?

I've got the set on pre-order from amazon.uk for Nov 30th. Can't wait.

PanteraSteel

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always kind of wanted to take the TV cut of Murphy's death and put it in the original film. That scene is brutal/gross.

Top Bottom