• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Riverdale

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
Molly Ringwald has joined the cast as Archie's mom, Mary Andrews.

Mary is returning to Riverdale (after having left to pursue her dream) and is reconnecting with her old friends, Alice Cooper and Hermione Lodge.

1209938402_850215_0000000000_sumario_normal.jpg

Everybody's favorite rockin golfin grampa.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
are Alice Cooper and harry dean stanton brothers?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went to see Arrival yesterday and there was a pre-trailers trailer for this show.  I laughed my ass off.

Good to see that CW is still around and hasn't changed one bit.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no opinion on the series, which premiered this week, but this song used in many of the promos is pretty damn badass, and I'm digging it:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched about 20 min of it. The "teenagers" looked too old (I think the actors are all in their late 20's) and their dialog was too adult. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched.

I am the wrong generation and I doubt I will watch again but I can see the appeal.  

It is well made, produced by current tv golden boy Greg Berlanti (the creative force behind my beloved Arrowverse shows lo) and falls into realm of other CW teen oriented shows like Pretty Little Liars 

Q2-1 said:
I watched about 20 min of it. The "teenagers" looked too old (I think the actors are all in their late 20's) and their dialog was too adult. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief.

I agree.  Though looking back to my teen and college years, I think the same could be said for many teen soaps of the 90s like the original 90210 Beverly Hills or Dawson's Creak, which I must shamefully admit to watching and enjoying at the time....  :blush:

Anyway, while surfing the net, I came across this parody from 5 years back that at the time I thought was HILARIOUS.... who knew how prophetic it turned out.  :p

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aside from complaints that I share with others in this topic, I actually enjoy Riverdale. I’m actually working on a TV-to-Movie edit on it as I write this (I haven’t officially announced it on here but will get a thread going once I get a few other projects done).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Riverdale Season One (2017, on US Netflix)

riverdale-782389.jpg

So, um, I've never watched a teen-centric TV series before that didn't feature Kryptonians or frequent musical numbers. My excuse for watching Riverdale, then, is that it its first season is largely centered on a murder mystery. And, it's actually a pretty damn good show: the story is engaging and propulsive, the dialogue is sharp, the cast is great, and the production and digitally tinted cinematography are terrific, creating a small-town setting that's dreamlike in its timelessness. What's more, the 13-episode season doesn't outstay its welcome, and after wrapping up most of its mysteries, it promises even darker and more twisted stories to come. I'm not sure how long this balancing act of old-fashioned gothic overtones and modernity can be maintained, but I'm absolutely on board for S2 - with more Molly Ringwald! (Indeed, the whole cast of ladies, not just the 20-somethings playing the minors, is darned easy on the eyes... shout out to Nathalie Boltt!)

S1: A-

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Riverdale Season Two Thoughts (2017-8)

bee84487b6fa92702bf6f79ebdef79fb.jpg

So, uh, I regret to announce that Riverdale and I have broken up. The 13-episode first season started well, built to being very good, and the second season, picking up immediately where it left off, at first maintained that upward momentum, culminating in the series' high point to date, the three-part Season Two, Episode 7 "Chapter Twenty: Tales From The Darkside". The first season had dealt with the mysterious murder of Jason Blossom, and the second season at first focused on a new threat, a serial killer called The Black Hood, which the show heavily based on - I kid you not - the Zodiac Killer, specifically as portrayed in David Fincher's Zodiac.

Alas, the very next episode, "Chapter Twenty-One: House Of The Devil" was an unmitigated fiasco, a dreary, unpleasant story in which all the bubbling inconsistencies in the series' characterizations and world-building exploded in a horribly wretched and exploitative of an underage character sequence. Its follow-up, the Christmas-themed "Chapter Twenty-Two: Silent Night, Deadly Night", was a huge quality leap back into decency, but it also wrapped up the Black Hood storyline in contrived and unsatisfying fashion, and, for me, the series' spell was thus broken. As I'd feared, its incredibly delicate balancing act of campy teen romance melodrama and Twin Peaks-inspired darkness and murder storylines, first broke in "Chapter Twenty-One" and, judging by reviews of subsequent episodes, this Humpty Dumpty hasn't, and very possibly can't, be put together again. The writers tossed lots of paint-filled balloons in the air to juggle, which was thrilling, but once one bursts, the others followed, and have made a damned mess of things.

So, for the record, my viewing suggestion is to watch the first twenty episodes, and then either pretend the series abruptly ended on a cliffhanger high note, or else skip "Chapter Twenty-One", go directly to "Chapter Twenty-Two", and end things there. Even if the writers suddenly embrace self-discipline, and keep their characters consistent and storylines rational and coherent while at the same time maintaining the delightfully delirious zaniness of its pre-"House of the Devil" run, I for one doubt this ship can be righted without something truly drastic, as in a massive, permanent, genre-changing alien/werewolf invasion or something of the like (and no, I'm not joking - I'd really like to see that). In the meantime, I 100% stand by my love for those first 20 eps, and enthusiastically recommend them to any and all with an interest in "Archie Comics meets Twin Peaks."

Riverdale's first season is currently on US Netflix, and the second season will likely arrive around June.

Top Bottom