• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Riverdale

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's an interview with Archie Comic' Chief Creative Officer, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (who is also the writer of "Afterlife With Archie").

Greg Berlanti, responsible for "Arrow" and "The Flash", is developing "Supergirl for CBS, which Wikipedia describes as a being about a 24-year-old Kara Zol-El embracing her powers after previously hiding them.

He's also producing "Riverdale", an hour-long drama series with an origin/darkness/weirdness slant with "surrealistic twists" about what occurs between the comic-book panels. Aguirre-Sacasa describes it as "Archie Meets David Lynch".

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stupid Riverdale punks...think they're too good for us...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How many of you remember this little Archie movie.....:)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is this I don't even.

Aguirre-Sacasa is a great writer - his comics adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand is top notch stuff - but the idea of him and Francesco Francavilla (possibly my favourite comic artist) writing an Archie Zombie comic is just too bizarre.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some "Riverdale" news out of SDCC. The series is moving to The CW. Here's what Archie CEO Jon Goldwater has to say:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ter-announces-live-action-riverdale-tv-series

Here's an artist's concept drawing (it's still gonna be live-action).

tqhTdNJ.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never understood the appeal of Archie, myself. A popular red-headed high schooler whose troubles come from the fact that two gorgeous women are head-over-heels for him and he can't choose between them? So relateable.

I liked the Sabrina show starring Clarissa. I hear these things are tangentially related. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Speaking of tangents... Is this a Supergirl thread or an Archie thread?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I've never understood the appeal of Archie, myself. A popular red-headed high schooler whose troubles come from the fact that two gorgeous women are head-over-heels for him and he can't choose between them? So relateable.
I think its appeal is more about wish-fulfillment than relatability. Plus, screwball comedy-style love triangles were all the rage back in Archie's heyday.

As for the new "Riverdale" show, I'm not very interested based on what I've seen thus far. I don't like the modernized approach. I think Archie stories work best in a 1940s-1960s setting (or at least a stylized "timeless" setting). Any more modern, and the setting doesn't quite mesh with the Mayberry-esque naiveté that best suits Archie stories (and if you take away that naiveté, you take away the essence of what Archie is supposed to be about).

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The CW greenlit the "Riverdale" pilot. Some tidbits:

*It'll start during the gang's sophomore year.

*Archie will have beefed up over the summer.

*They're looking to cast a hearing-impared actor as Jughead.

*Archie and Jughead have had a falling out over something and aren't on speaking terms.

*They're hoping to cast a Hispanic actor as Veronica. (Because "Lodge" is such a Hispanic-sounding surname.)

*Veronica's dad has been sent to jail over something.

*Veronica will be trying to improve her image and likability.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
*They're hoping to cast a Hispanic actor as Veronica.

Oh cool, Hollywood is gonna diversify things a bit, make it less of a White Man's World.

Mark Moore said:
*Veronica's dad has been sent to jail over something.

Fucking Hollywood, of course the Hispanic father will be in jail.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to start a separate thread for "Riverdale", the upcoming CW Archie adaptation. It's going to premiere "midseason" (still no exact date). From what I've read and seen (a short trailer), it's gonna be a subversive take on Archie, showing things are not as perfect in Riverdale as they appear on the surface (one of the guys involved in the series describes it as "Archie meets Twin Peaks").

Here's the official Facebook page, where you can see the cast at Comic-Con (where the pilot was screened):

https://www.facebook.com/CWRiverdale/?fref=ts

The cast is made up mostly of unknowns with little to no acting experience (which I think is a good thing). Luke Perry as Archie's dad, Fred Andrews, is the notable exception (he doesn't look a thing like Archie's dad in the comics, but I get what they were going for).

I'm not sure how long that this series will last (especially since the comics deal primarily with high school, and the TV series isn't even starting at freshman year).

I've started a review blog, which also looks at other Archie TV adaptations (and even some comics):

http://riverdalereviewed.wordpress.com

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this and don't know whether to rant, cry or fall down laughing....?

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uISW88bFaxs[/video]

Archie comics have been around for over 70 years, and yes there have been attempts in the past 10 years to "modernize" and make the characters more relevant, but really????  Of all the iterations of these characters, this is the version these TV producers decided to go with?????  WTF!!!

My nine year old niece devours Archie comics.   You can still buy the digest collections in the grocery store till lines.  And this trailer looks nothing like the classic comedic Archie that most people, whether they read the books or not, would know.   This trailer looks more like Twin Peaks The Next Generation... .LOL.

I dunno.  Am I just being a grumpy old man who does not like change?  Or is this another classic case of producers cashing in with absolutely no understanding/respect of the core concepts of a source material?  Either way, based on this trailer, I have no interest in watching this show.  :p

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
I've decided to start a separate thread for "Riverdale", the upcoming CW Archie adaptation.

I've decided to merge your threads together.

I removed Supergirl from the original thread and merged that topic into the other existing Supergirl thread. 
AVOID these double-topics in the future to prevent this kind of work from being necessary.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i watched that trailer, i enjoyed watching the trailer and want to see more of it.
to me, it looks less like an attempt to modernize a golden age comic book and more like an actual attempt to explore a fan-theory about classic characters.
i know zero about Archie's world to even surmise what a possible fan-theory would be but we've all read enough of them to know they usually come from a dark place.
(like the whole Rugrats theory of the babies being dead and Angelica through her grief is pretending they are still alive.)

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Molly Ringwald has joined the cast as Archie's mom, Mary Andrews.

Mary is returning to Riverdale (after having left to pursue her dream) and is reconnecting with her old friends, Alice Cooper and Hermione Lodge.

Top Bottom