• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rise of the Demons - Edit of Demons and Demons 2

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To stay in the Argento factory I do this so-called "remake" of Mike Drews "Demons Awakened"
I do this edit in between the Argento triple and this is also a request of a member
I remember that the original edit is "gone" of this (i presume) "retired" editor, a crash on his hard drive or whatever the problem was
So a member asked me to do this stuff again BUT this is not gonna be an exact copy of the Drew cut
Of course, we talk about Demons and Demons 2 and although I like these movies, there is also some terrible acting in this 
But, it is what it is, you see that more in those Italian horror movies 
It's gonna be a two in one edition but my version is gonna be in a 2.35.1 ratio
There will be also music rescore and overdubs of Goblin in this and the editing and storyline will be (slightly) different
But the original idea is and stays from Mike Drew
At the moment I am still busy with Tenebrae that will be finished this week, but I hope to do the rest of these edits before the end of this year
In 2018 I start with the third chapter of The Game 3 (SAW 5 and 6) and I do also some more (horror) triples in that year
That's it.

bYgf1mD.jpg

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice resurrection, this.
How much alteration will you do to the Goblin score?
If removal, what will you substitute with?

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is no Goblin score in this, the music is from Simonetti
That's why I do a mix of other Argento movie soundtracks where it is possible from Goblin
Tenebrae, Phenomena, etc...
I have a bunch of soundtracks in my collection of Goblin so I see in time what I do with it 
But it is just an idea, first I do the editing, with a 2.35.1 overlay, and that is quite some work to put everything in the right center
And then, at last, the credits and music overdub and re-score

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I restart with this edit again after I got sick in December
The Flu was keeping me away from my computer but with some pills and other stuff I was trying to go further with it
But then there was the next surprise: The Falls Creators Update from Windows
You have this update once in the 6 months in Windows 10 and they update the whole system again like it was a new installation 
Yeah right, that last update fucked up my whole computer
After everything was in place some programs don't start up again 
Adobe was not working, the whole computer was acting weird
So I was forced to do a brand new installation from disc and re-install every program again
So I make this edit back from the start
I found a software to hold up this "update" because in my opinion, it's bullshit
The normal updates are necessary of course but to update a whole new system that is working fine in the first place is a lot of crap
So this edit is done in February and I hope together with my Blade Runner story

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is going fine
As I mentioned I do this in a 2.35.1 ratio overlay
It begins with Demons 2 footage 
In the beginning of the original Demons, I re-scored the whole footage in the metro with other music of Goblin
A lot of sound effects are used for that particular scene but it works great
I am now on a workprint of approx 60 minutes and next week I finish this remake of Mike Drew 87 with the last hour
On the blog is the release settled on February 9 but because I am now my "usual" speed of editing after a slow start it can be released at an earlier date
Also this one is created in Adobe Premiere Elements which I bought the last version of 2018 last week and it works fantastic
Some things looks the same as the Drew cut but this IS an alternative version and of course taken from Blu-ray
The 2.35.1 overlay works fantastic, only thing that's bothering always is the lousy acting
It's really a shame how bad it sometimes is
Update is coming up with the exact running time when this edit is done

Example of the metro scene with the re-score and sound effects 
There is a lot more than that in the timeline but I can't get everything on it of course

UsEgvgD.jpg

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maniac, from the bottom of my FanEdit loving heart man, THANK YOU!!! I am so glad you took this on when we talked about it few months back, after losing MikeDrew87's "Demons Awakened" and his hdd crashing, man, it sucked. Yeah the Italian 80's Giallo'ish acting is very cheesy, but man, Demons is such a cult classic film from the era that made it to the US from Italy, again in the horror cult status. i think that Lamberto Bava did a remarkable job with Demons! I just cannot thank you enough for taking this project on after mentioning it to you man, i seriously owe you!! Cant wait till release date! biting nails now!

i think i found my burned copy of "Demons Awakened" by MikeDrew87, does the .DLC still work?

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
scrapesky said:
i think i found my burned copy of "Demons Awakened" by MikeDrew87, does the .DLC still work?

No the dlc sadly no longer works .Would you be willing to rip and add demons awakened to the edit request form so that the edit may once again be available. I myself would like to view it and im sure others would too.

MANIAC its great to hear you are back to editing after the flu and your recent adobe/windows update crash . Im glad you didnt scrap the demons project after you lost your work.thanks for the dedication. Looking forward to this edit ,not long to go now

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the "original" Demons Awakened in my collection
When this edit is done I will put the Mike Drew cut also on the blog
So you can choose between the original and the remake 
The difference is of course the ratio
The Drew cut is 1.85.1 and mine cut 2.35.1
The Drew cut is taken from DVD (I think) I use two remastered Blu-ray discs
Well, "remastered" let's say the quality is slightly better
I begin with Demons 2 with the opening of Argento's Profondo Rosso, I mean the music of course of Goblin
Some music overdubs of Argento's movie Sleepless and Dawn of the Dead
And I use a track of Rick Springfield
And like I said earlier the metro scene is completely re-scored with sound effects and with Goblins "Associated Dead"
Some scenes in my cut are longer and are also in a different order
Drew cut also a gore scene which is of course to see in the remake 
Demon puked his blood all over a girl, I don't know why the hell he cut it
When I studied the Drew cut I heard some "audio drops" mostly in the music and there were some minor rough cuts in the editing
I don't know where that audio shit is coming from but no way you hear that in my version
But for the rest, he did a great job on this, also the idea was fantastic so in my credits I will notice him for his work
Running time?  well, I think maybe longer than two hours but when I finish this and I see the cut on the projection screen there is always the possibility I cut more or not .....
If everything goes well, it will be done next week and it will have an earlier release than February the 9th
Update is coming up

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac said:
I have the "original" Demons Awakened in my collection
When this edit is done I will put the Mike Drew cut also on the blog
So you can choose between the original and the remake 
The difference is of course the ratio
The Drew cut is 1.85.1 and mine cut 2.35.1
The Drew cut is taken from DVD (I think) I use two remastered Blu-ray discs
Well, "remastered" let's say the quality is slightly better
I begin with Demons 2 with the opening of Argento's Profondo Rosso, I mean the music of course of Goblin
Some music overdubs of Argento's movie Sleepless and Dawn of the Dead
And I use a track of Rick Springfield
And like I said earlier the metro scene is completely re-scored with sound effects and with Goblins "Associated Dead"
Some scenes in my cut are longer and are also in a different order
Drew cut also a gore scene which is of course to see in the remake 
Demon puked his blood all over a girl, I don't know why the hell he cut it
When I studied the Drew cut I heard some "audio drops" mostly in the music and there were some minor rough cuts in the editing
I don't know where that audio shit is coming from but no way you hear that in my version
But for the rest, he did a great job on this, also the idea was fantastic so in my credits I will notice him for his work
Running time?  well, I think maybe longer than two hours but when I finish this and I see the cut on the projection screen there is always the possibility I cut more or not .....
If everything goes well, it will be done next week and it will have an earlier release than February the 9th
Update is coming up

Thank you very much for everything Maniac! I am more intrigued to catch your edit right now, having seen MikeDrew's "Demons Awakened", but that is a great gesture of you to throw it up along with your edit, especially for those who have never seen it. Anyone who doesnt own "Demons" 1 or 2 here is a link to a killer extremely limited steelbook. Each one comes with a BD50 & DVD9 of the film & special features. 2 of the coolest purchases i ever made!

DEMONS
http://synapse-films.com/dvds/demons-limited-edition-steelbook/

DEMONS 2
http://synapse-films.com/dvds/demons-2-limited-edition-steelbook/

Thats killer you added a Claudio Simonetti solo score instead of Goblin, will be interesting. I have pretty much every Goblin original pressing on vinyl including some represses DW did a while back, including a live EP from Goblin that has Profondo Rosso,Roller,Suspiria, & Tenebrae. i had a question, do you pull your audio from vinyl or digital, being an 80's film i didnt know if you would take everything HD or not. Either way, your new editing software looks great, and all those audio drops, and other scenes you have improved, to say the least i am dying to see this! THANK YOU!

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is done
I spend another 9 hours today on the 2.35.1 widescreen ratio of this edit and that was really holding up the project
It was a lot of work to put everything the way I wanted it to be
BUT it's done, music is in place, I do some work on the end credits and that's it
The release date will be probably on the blog February the 7th, ( i must see it first on the big screen) and the next week it will be on the IFDB
So that's it.
Monday I go further with my two in one cut of Blade Runner and I do also the first drafts of the remake of IT

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for the update, again thank you so much for your hard work man!  what was pitched from an idea, you took & ran with it! i really appreciate you doing this edit man, i told you how much the MikeDrew "Demons Awakened" meant to me, apparently this new software you have is some amazing editing software. Thanks again for the update and the hard work Maniac! Very much looking forward to the release!

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No thanks, it was a pleasure to work on and I hope you have fun with it
Oh yeah, the running time is almost 130 minutes

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This post may need to go to a different thread, but i wasn't sure because the film is relevant to this edit. Apologies if i made a mistake.

MANIAC, check this out man! Have you read anything about a 3D "Demons" remake? These articles are interesting if you haven't read them., the news about reuniting Lamberto Bava (Director) & Dario Argento (Writer & Screenplay) from both "Demons" 1 & 2 is pretty awesome!

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/158410/3d-remake-italian-horror-film-demons-works/

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3384876/bava-argento-reteam-3-d-remake-demons/

http://www.mondo-digital.com/demoni.html

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I have dread central on my twitter account 
I read about it, I think a very good idea because of the special effects 
I think now, in this time they can do it better 
But talking about it means not that they are really doing it so IF it happens and this remake is on Blu-ray I will surely get my hands on that one 
But Argento was also planning a new movie called "The Sandman" with Iggy Pop, he was talking about it on his Facebook account and that is now several years ago
Suddenly it was all over, you don't hear a god damn thing about it so what I'm trying to say is we have to wait if something really happens 
And I HOPE that he use better actors in this Demons remake  :D

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On it now Maniac!! Thank you so much man(iac)!!! been waiting too long for this, going to epic!! thanks for hard work, will view tonight!

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so i just finished the Maniac edition of "Rise of the Demons", i have to say, that is some serious editing man! that audio you brought in with Simonetti & i believe Gaurini (other synth player from Goblin) opening up with that track was great, excellent choice. Instead of the original Giallo, "someones following me" paranoia audio from the original. It gave it a good feel, Throughout most of the edit i felt like the audio you chose pretty much fit flawlessly in every part. Your new score fit together with the edit like a puzzle piece, was perfect! It gave the film a new feel, in a great way! 

Now the video editing, man i don't know what to say, but bravo man! You really brought the original & the sequel together, as well as the film within, i will just call it the "Nostradamus film", im not sure how you did it, and not saying MikeDrew87 didn't do his Demons edit well, but you brought the "inner film" within "Demons" 1 & 2 to life like a character, it literally lingers nearly as long as the films themselves, very impressed on that editing part man. I wouldn't even know how to begin or end it, more or less run it through 2 films pretty much the whole length.

The audio was choice! very solid selection, glad you left a lot of the 80's rock in the films. I finally noticed what you were calling "audio drops" that MikeDrew had in his "Demons Awakened", your audio is superb, did you throw in 5.1 DTS ? One thing i noticed that i was fond of some "semi characters" in Demons 1 was group of people you had removed. All they did in the original release was cruising around somewhere in Italy as a group of punks listening to some cool 80's jams & doing blow all over the city, which find themselves running from the cops and getting trapped in the Metropol, other than that, i wont go in depth too far to spoil anything for others. I just really enjoyed that small group of punks partying & some other bits, but it was an off the wall crowd that i guess in a sense in the original release of Demons, but that is about it, and you can imagine their demise ,but your edit made it absolutely alright without them, i didn't even think about it until the edit was over, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

It didn't ruin a moment in the edit for me. I had been waiting on your edit since we chatted it up months back, i have been very obsessed with Italian horror, especially Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Mario & Lamberto Bava,etc, but "Demons", Dario Argento writing it & Lamberto Bava Directing both Demons 1 & 2, too great to pass up for us horror fans!

The way you synced the films together is beyond me, i mean starting the edit in general with the intro of Demons 2, i thought i jumped forward or something till i noticed it was correct. The stories running parallel with the "inner film" also playing a major part of the edit, Maniac i don't even know how to keep going on about it man. You absolutely nailed this edit, video was remarkable quality wise,the aspect of taking 2 films with an inner film and running them in sync to create a single film. It's genius man! Im curious, did you sit down and write out the edit as to how you were going to go about bringing 2 films together, as well as the "inner film"? because you didn't mess up the order of any of the films, everything was timed perfectly. The best part of the films being in sync, you have 2 crazy places raging with Demons! Its absolutely bloody,brutal, & beautiful!

I hope people do not pass this edit up due to it not being a blockbuster, or insane special effects, or star studded cast, even for it being an Italian 80's horror film about demons, i mean it's cheesy, but just the right amount which makes it great! Maniac seems like he really poured some time & love into this edit, & I am extremely grateful for hard work & dedication to making this edit particular, but anyone thats a fan of Maniac's know he can put out some of the best edits so quick, and great choice of films for all his edits always!

Thank you very,very much Maniac!

VERY RECOMMENDED!

my rating would be a solid 9/10

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit now on ifdb. Thread moved. Prego.

Rotor1999

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really classy fan edit, that - with the parallel storylines - really opens up the feeling that the entire city is going to hell!  Bravo, Maniac.

Top Bottom