• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ripping Software

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heyo,

I normally use MakeMKV to rip my blu-rays (and watch other region coded blu-rays through it's VLC integration feature), however it's no longer free to rip blu-rays. I was hoping to find suggestions for other free programs that can rip at the same (or better) quality than MakeMKV (I don't know if it's lossless or not). Anybody have any preferred programs?

You just need to download the updated version. MakeMKV is regularly updated and rarely if ever will there not be a new version that you can download and continue the free access.

I did that. Even after uninstalling, deleting the installer, and redownloading fresh, it said that the trial had expired.

As well as downloading the latest version, you need to input the beta key. It gets changed every month or so i think. A quick google should do the trick.

I still wonder if there are other options? I curently use Makemkv to rip blue-ray discs but I also need to convert the file to mp4 afterwards to import it in premiere. I'm looking for a way to rip directly to mp4. I searched the forum regarding that topic, but no luck yet

I still wonder if there are other options? I curently use Makemkv to rip blue-ray discs but I also need to convert the file to mp4 afterwards to import it in premiere. I'm looking for a way to rip directly to mp4. I searched the forum regarding that topic, but no luck yet

Converting the file from mkv to mp4 is going to cause quality loss. You can just remux it to Mp4 instead.

Another option is using something like DVDFab to copy the bluray folders to your drive. This will give you an M2ts file which is compatible with Vegas pro. I can't speak for other editing programs, but I'd be surprised if it was the only one.

If you're not interested in editing but just having a film conveniently ripped to Mp4. You can go straight from disc to Mp4 with handbrake. You will experience a drop in quality, but it is unlikely to be noticeable/problematic unless you are going to be editing and recompressing later down the line.

You can just remux it to Mp4 instead
Usually for Premiere you can remux the video but the audio has to be converted from DTS to AAC or something that Premiere will play nice with. Easiest way is just to run it through FFMPEG to do both operations at once.

My basic order is to use MakeMKV to rip a .mkv video from the disc, then use Avidemux to open that file and remux it to .mp4 (copying the video stream and re-encoding the AC3/DTS audio as high bitrate AAC audio that Vegas can use). It would be nice if MakeMKV could do this all in one go, but the Avidemux step only adds a couple of minutes so it's not that big of a deal.

My basic order is to use MakeMKV to rip a .mkv video from the disc, then use Avidemux to open that file and remux it to .mp4 (copying the video stream and re-encoding the AC3/DTS audio as high bitrate AAC audio that Vegas can use). It would be nice if MakeMKV could do this all in one go, but the Avidemux step only adds a couple of minutes so it's not that big of a deal.
What NLE do you use? I used to do that ripping sequence but Vegas started having trouble with the MP4 file.

I use Vegas Pro 13.0.453.

[FILLER MATERIAL TO MEET LENGTH REQUIREMENTS]

Back
Top Bottom