• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

RIPPER or MPEG problem????

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Howdy!

I use MAC THE RIPPER and MPEG STREAMCLIP for ripping and converting. (Watch the "In The Works" section for my first fan edit coming REAL soon)

Encountered a new problem today and I am not sure if it is a ripper or converter problem. (But I am leaning towards Ripper....)

I rip the movie with no indication of any problems.

I then go to import the VOB files to the MPEG Streamclip and every time I try to convert it several things seem to happen....
One, it takes a really, really long time, that little round color wheel just spins round and round.
Finally when it stops, the image in the MPEG viewer is all screwy and frozen, like several images overlapping one another.
If I press play, you can hear the audio but picture in the viewer stays frozen.
On a lark, I tried to convert it to Quicktime anyway, again with the spinning color wheel.... but also this time there is a warning of
data breaks in the stream. Finally I just cancelled the whole thing because nothing seemed to be happening.

I tried ripping the movie twice and converting twice.... same thing each time.
I reinstalled Streamclip.... same thing.

I tried to convert individual VOB files instead of the whole movie... same thing.

The original DVD plays fine.

So is the problem in the Streamclip converter or the Ripper? Could some sort of DVD protection be messing with the ripping prcocess?

Anyone ever encounter this? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Hey Bionic Bob-

I noticed no one has replied to your query yet- I don't use Streamclip, but since I am a fellow Mac user, I felt obligated to try and help anyway.

I do use Mac The Ripper though, and I feel pretty confident based on what you've said that it's not the problem. Try downloading VLC player and see if the VOB files play as they should. If they play normally, it's Streamclip. I suspect it is SC, I doubt that its an encyrption problem as MTR's whole job is to undo the encryption. If it runs into a problem doing it, it would let you know at some point during the process. Everytime I've had a problem with MTR, it has brought it to my attention via a message window.

Maybe it's a setting in Streamclip? Or something to do with the MPEG2 playback component for Quicktime?

See if any info here makes sense to you:
http://www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/SVCD_on ... nvert_MPEG

Wish I could help more!

Yeah, i told BB to ask the forum, since we are such a large community of faneditors and he should draw from all that experience. Boy do i feel dumb. :-(
Last I heard he'd solved the problem himself.
But your heart is in the right place jokersmailbag. :p

Well, good, as long as he solved it... Thanks for the help KBM!

Thanks for the advice!

Yep, I figured it out.

I use MAC THE RIPPER 2.6.6. not the latest version (I am too poor...."sniff") TMC3.0.
Turned out the problem was the Ripper, it could not properly break the encoding.

So I used the free trial version of Wondershare as listed in Mollo's Mac Guide and it worked perfectly. THANKS MOLLO!!! Wondershare is also alot cheaper than TMC3, so something to remember for the future. :-D

WOW. Was I off. But every time I've used MTR it's let me know if there's an error. I'll try to post more... umm ... informed advice next time :(

Glad you figured it out though BB!

jokersmailbag said:
WOW. Was I off. But every time I've used MTR it's let me know if there's an error. I'll try to post more... umm ... informed advice next time :(

Glad you figured it out though BB!

Don't worry about it. That is why I could not figure it out either. I assumed there would be some sort of error message too. Very weird.

Just curious, do you use MTR2 or 3???

Haven't had any insurmountable problems with it yet...

Until today. Tried ripping 'The Dark Knight' and MTR said "Nope, sorry". Free trial of Wondershare did the trick. Thanks again, Mollo!

EDIT: Spoke too soon. It did rip most of the disc. However it kept freezing around 85% mark. The weird thing is, chapters 6 through the 40 were there, but ended up being label as 1-34. 35 through 40 appeared as "greyed out" in the Cinematize list. Almost as if it were processing it from the end to the beginning. Strange. Oh well, I got what I needed from it for now, but I'll have to figure out how to rip the whole thing eventually. Apparently this disc has some fancy new tricks to defeat ripping! MTR v 3.0 does not work either.

Back
Top Bottom