• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

RETURN TO THE PLANET OF THE APES

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A new fan edit by @"dkerin" !

The 1974 television series, using the episodes " Escape From Tomorrow", "The Legacy" and "The Trap", recut into a movie that now fits into the original movie series continuity.
David's intent with this fan edit is twofold; one, clearly establish that this edit takes place in the movie continuity and two, craft a story that is closer in tone to the films.

To establish a clear timeline, David has done two things:
--he has created a prologue (creating new FX and using movie footage) which establishes clear dates for the launch of the LIBERTY rockets, moving Burke and Virdon's launch from 1980 to 1973, just before the arrival of the Ape-onauts from ESCAPE... thus explaining why our astronaut heroes have no knowledge of intelligent apes.
--he has cut all contradictory continuity from the episodes.... no dogs, no reference to astronauts arriving 10 years earlier, no book picture of a city from the 25th Century, etc

Other cuts include....
--much of the humour, particularly from Burke, has been trimmed or removed.
--from the episode "Legacy", the entire castle and family subplot has been removed. Also for this episode, a new FX has been created for the message from the past, with a nice easter egg tie-in to the movie universe
--from the episode "Trap" lots of trims, village subplot gone.

--an all new, darker ending in the tradition of the APES movies with an epilogue that then connects to the original POTA.

At present, the edit is running at around 1 hour 46.

This fan edit is posted on Vimeo:

http://https://vimeo.com/219372773[/video]
password: apes

Last edited:
Well bionicbob, this particular edit sure tickles my 'nostalgia' bone.

I was just about to comment on your original thread concerning it - https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=15222 , but it got closed down before I had the chance.  I was  a big fan of the original 'APES' saga in my younger days, and this looks like a great little project that your chum has cooked up.  I've already downloaded the HD 750p 'Vimeo' version that dkerin made available, and look forward to catching up with Roddy McDowall's 'Galen' once again in this bite-sized, 'cinematic' re-edit of the tv show, sometime.

The 'widescreen' framing of the episodes is great, and the new 'Apollo shuttle' and other F/X look excellent too, from what I've seen so far.  And the fact that this is something which fits better into the movie series itself now, is the icing on the cake.  I really hope that this novel edit eventually gets the dvd release with extras that was mooted on the previous thread, too.  Well done indeed dkerin. :)

This also brought back hazy memories of another 'spin-off' show which was around at the time too, so I've included the details for others to see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

ImperialFighter said:
Well bionicbob, this particular edit sure tickles my 'nostalgia' bone.

The 'widescreen' framing of the episodes is great, and the new 'Apollo shuttle' and other F/X look excellent too, from what I've seen so far.  And the fact that this is something which fits neatly into the movie series itself now, is the icing on the cake.  I really hope that this novel edit eventually gets the dvd release with extras that was mooted on the previous thread, too.  Well done indeed dkerin.

I hope you enjoy the edit as much as I did.   As a huge APES franchise fan, this edit feels like a proper sequel to the original films compared to it's tv incarnation.

David did an amazing job with the reframing.   Though it does affect the picture quality in some scenes as it required some clever zooming in for some segments.   Also another picture quality challenge Dave encountered was parts of episodes were encoded differently, some parts were progressive while other were interlaced.  It's really weird, I don't know what Fox doing when they created the original dvd set.   But Dave did the best he could under the circumstances, but yes, the picture quality does fluctuate through the edit but still not bad for a show over 40 years old.

The animated tv series was really bold in it's serialized story format and took the POTA concept in some interesting directions.  Too bad the actual animation was very limited and stagnant.

I have not decided yet it I will upload the actual dvd or not yet, since I find many members these days seem to prefer either video files or watching online.   But I will be posting all the extras over the weekend in the thread for people to watch and/or download.

I have to say a HUGE thanks to Bob on all of this.  We had been talking and I was pretty lost on finding inspiration on a fan edit of any sort.  Then Bob starts throwing out ideas for POTA tv series... then the brain gets kick started... and I remember how much fun it is to play with much beloved tv shows from the past. 

As an Apes fan I have always tried to figure out how the TV series could fit with the movies, but they clearly did not think of that when making the show.   So I hope for fellow fans of the Apes that this helps it fit into the timeline.  

One of the things this edit made me appreciate was the work that went into this tv series.  To do the ape makeup on a series schedule had to be demanding!  And I am sure they did not have anywhere near the money they had on the features.   But the makeup is still fantastic!  And a big part of that is of course the actors like McDowall... and Mark Lenard.   All the apes makeup actors do so much to bring those characters to life.

I hope you get some enjoyment from the edit.   Working on it definitely made me appreciate the efforts of all involved in the series.

Bonus Features....

TIMELINE OF THE APES:

ALTERNATE ENDING:

FX REEL:

BSG/POTA: DESTINY'S END

:)

Last edited:
Made some minor tweaks to the final dvd art:

M4KM9nbl.jpg

The Most Wonderful TV-MOVIE Edit I have seen.

WOW! High praise indeed!
Thank You to @starguy for taking the time to post a review. Dave and I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
bionicbob said:
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
The Most Wonderful TV-MOVIE Edit I have seen. 
[/font]

WOW!  High praise indeed!  
Thank You to @starguy for taking the time to post a review.  Dave and I really appreciate it. :)

Great. Also i wonder at 31:07 is that Stock Footage or from the TV Show? i have never seen the TV Show only this edit. Thanks love [font=Raleway, sans-serif]@starguy[/font]

Magix Trash Can said:
Great. Also i wonder at 31:07 is that Stock Footage or from the TV Show? i have never seen the TV Show only this edit. Thanks love [font=Raleway, sans-serif]@starguy[/font]

I do not see any unusual shots at 31:07.
Do you mean the Ape City establishing shot at 30min33sec?  That shot is from the original movie, which was then later repurposed for the sequel and the tv series.

beezo said:
Not sure if you're aware @"bionicbob" , but over at my fan edit podcast, we discussed Saga of the Planet of the Apes and Return to the Planet of the Apes.

Listened to a bit of the podcast, and have to listen to it all later tonight (people keep coming in and talking to me at work... what's wrong wit them???).   Fantastic!   As far as I know there hasn't been anything I've been involved in that garnered podcast conversation.  Well at least not with positive attributes.  :)

Hey @"beezo", listened to your R2TPOTA podcast.... hilarious!!!   :D 
Very enjoyable -- I laughed lots, it sounds like you guys have a great time together.  I will have to listen to your SAGA review later.

I do want to clarify though, RETURN TO THE PLANET OF APES is David Kerin's fan edit.  Not mine.  It is completely his baby.  I was just sort of his sounding board/creative consultant and biggest fan.   ;)

To settle your bet, while I do not think of myself as "old", I am 47, and I still have all my hair lol :p  I am a Canuck Postman.  But Dave is professional editor.

Thanks for the review!  :)

Magix Trash Can said:
I will see the podcast Now!!

That's not how podcasts work.  :p

Magix Trash Can said:
I Also Wonder. What CGI Software did he use for the Space ship Sceens?

I used Cinema 4D for the 3d model and animation.   Then took that into Adobe After Effects and added the stars, some blurs, glows, etc.  

If you are looking to get into 3d, I have worked a lot with Blender 3D which is absolutely free!  (hard to beat that)  Has a good sized learning curve, but that program and its constant updates continually amaze me.

One More Thing were did you get the Space ship Model. and so. Were can i download it? Thanks-

He said he used Cinema 4D for the 3d model. I would take that to mean he created it himself and it's not available for download.

Back
Top Bottom