• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Return of the Jedi: Q2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Over the last couple of weeks I've received numerous PM's about my Return of the Jedi cut. I've responded that when MegaUpload went down it was gone and had no plans of reuploading it. This was because I planned on re-creating it using the Blu-Ray as a source instead of using the SD DVD's upconverted.

Not liking a full inbox I've since deleted a lot of these PM's which is why I'm making a general announcement here. Because of the amount of interest I've decided to re-upload the disc now instead of waiting until I can get to the true HD version. So if you're interested in a copy PM me and when I have the DLC available I'll send you the link.

There are a couple questions I've been asked in PM repeatedly so I'll answer them here.

What is different?

I used the commercially released DVD as well as Harmy's Despecialized Edition. Harmy had already done a conversion to 720p for his release, so I upconverted the comercial DVD to match. My cut is a blend of the Special Edition and the Theatrical Cut. Its been a while so I don't remember everything I changed, but the big ones were restoring the original musical bit in Jabba's Palace and the Sarlac pit (no beak). I also trimmed a couple kid friendly things such as the burping aliens. I also put back in the older Anakin. However, I did leave the new ending as I think it brings nice closure to the series as a whole. There were other minor tweaks throughout.

Why isn't it listed here?
Because FE.org has a policy of not listing any fanedit that doesn't use official sources. Because Harmy's cut is not official it can't be listed.

In what format is your cut?
Because I never intended to release it publicly its a very basic disc. No chapters, one menu, etc. Also, its in 720p AVCHD format on a DVD-DL. Because I do plan on doing a proper HD version later this is the only version I'll be posting.

How is the quality if you upconverted?
Its not as sharp as true 1080p HD but it looks pretty good.

rotj3.jpg

rotj2.jpg

rotj1.jpg

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here. I will not post the link in this thread, so PM me if interested and I will PM you with a link when its available.

Standard fanedit rules apply: you must own an original copy before downloading this.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In most of the ROTJ edits one of the goals is to minimize the time that the ewoks are in the movie. How did you handle the ewoks in your edit?

-

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:
In most of the ROTJ edits one of the goals is to minimize the time that the ewoks are in the movie. How did you handle the ewoks in your edit?

I didn't touch them. It was not my intent to do a full fledged fanedit, rather a merging of the theatrical cut and special edition.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to be pedantic but Harmy's copy is a mostly a 720p source with a little gout and dtv recording sprinkled in. I believe it is recorded off television from before the blurays came out. Is the "majority" of your edit his 720p hd copy or an upconverted dvd?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upconverted DVD.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the goal of an edit is only to cut it back to a previously released cut, then it's not allowed here.
The changes need to be clear a new cut/version.
That's also why Harmy's version is not listed here, nor is Adywan's purist edition of EP4 revisited (that last one is debatable, but it's the way it is for now).
This new cut from Q2, I'm not 100% sure it could be listed at fanedit.org with its current rules.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 never intended to have it listed at .org.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
If the goal of an edit is only to cut it back to a previously released cut, then it's not allowed here.
The changes need to be clear a new cut/version.
That's also why Harmy's version is not listed here, nor is Adywan's purist edition of EP4 revisited (that last one is debatable, but it's the way it is for now).
This new cut from Q2, I'm not 100% sure it could be listed at fanedit.org with its current rules.

Q2 said:
My cut is a blend of the Special Edition and the Theatrical Cut. Its been a while so I don't remember everything I changed, but the big ones were restoring the original musical bit in Jabba's Palace and the Sarlac pit (no beak). I also trimmed a couple kid friendly things such as the burping aliens. I also put back in the older Anakin. However, I did leave the new ending as I think it brings nice closure to the series as a whole. There were other minor tweaks throughout.

^ Sounds perfectly elligible to me, as the hybrid approach makes it a version that never existed before. Q2 not wanting it here is a totally different subject, though.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
^ Sounds perfectly elligible to me, as the hybrid approach makes it a version that never existed before. Q2 not wanting it here is a totally different subject, though.

Adywan's purist edition also is a version that never existed before, still, it is not listed on our site.
(I'm also against fanedits that only add one minute or two to a movie and change nothing else.. But that's just me.)

I did not want to somehow Hijack this thread with debate about the rules though.
Just explaining why certain very well known fanedits of Star Wars were not listed here.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't worry about it. The direction this thread is going is a lot more interesting than where it was going. :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that didn't take long. Less than a month and two files have been lost/deleted by MF.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Only 2 files? You lucky.

Yeah, but missing two makes the rest useless.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hang on to my rar files for that reason.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In case anyone is interested I've begun remastering my ROTJ hybrid utilizing the BR and Harmy's Despecialized AVCHD version. I still have the project file for this one (surprising) so it shouldn't take too long to tweak. As has become my standard, my release formats will be DVD, AVCHD and BR.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes please. Would it make sense to call this, "Return of the Jedi Q2/Harmy Hybrid" or "Return of the Jedi Q2's BD/Harmy Hybrid?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think giving credit is enough, not necessary to include Harmy in the title.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2, are you going to stick with your same art scheme? I mocked up what the entire set would look like.

lcKoy.jpg

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They look nice but probably not. I don't plan on doing Ep 4 or 5 and 6 is just minor revisions. If you want to do custom cover art though I won't stop ya. :)

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was asking more about the disc menus, because i figured people would use the adywan 4/5 anyway and use your 1236. If you want the uncompressed VI logo I made just holla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom