• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Return of the Jedi: Q2 Edition - Remastered

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rotj3d.jpg

Original Name:
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Original Release Date: 1983
Original Running Time: 135 minutes

Fanedit Film Name: Return of the Jedi: A Q2 Fanedit - Remastered
Fanedit Release Date: August 2012
Fanedit Running Time: 135 minutes

Last year I released a version of Return of the Jedi that was a hybrid of the Special Edition released on 2004 and Harmy's Despecialized Edition. While I did release an AVCHD 720p version all the footage was upconverted from SD.

With the Blu-Ray release and even more tinkering by Lucas I decided to revisit this edit and do a proper HD version. Utilizing the Blu-Ray release as the main source, and Harmy's 720p version of the Despecialized Edition, I am happy to announce the imminent release of Return of the Jedi: Q2 Edition - Remastered.

Version History
v.2.1 - fixed video stuttering some viewers experienced with the AVCHD and BR versions
v.2 - HD release ... 2011 Blu-Ray used as source
v.1 - original release ... 2004 DVD used as source

Change List
I've left the special edition mostly intact, and have only changed the most grievous of alterations to the Blu-Ray release. Anything that is restored from the theatrical cut comes from an upconverted 720p version (which may in-turn been upconverted from SD though, I'm not sure). Because of this, the theatrical footage doesn't look quite as crisp as the BR source.

• restored original Jabba's palace door
  • replaced "Jedi Rock" with the original dance number from the theatrical cut
  • removed subtitle "I want fifty thousand. No less." C-3PO translates this immediately after, so it felt redundant.
  • cut burps from giant toad and Sarlacc pit
  • restored all shots of the theatrical beakless Sarlacc pit
  • restored Solo's original line "Trust me!" at the Sarlacc pit
  • removed Vaders "No. Noooooo!"
  • while I left the new galaxy-wide celebration intact, I did cut "We'sa free!" and restored the older Anakin

Special Features
  • Jedi Rock
  • original theatrical ending

Additional Comments
Some might wonder why I didn't cut Sebulba or the blinking Ewoks. When these changes were first highlighted with the BR release I was skeptical like many others. I had heard that Lucas was lazy and hadn't bothered to give Sebulba a shadow, making the addition look fake. However, when watching the footage he does have a shadow and he looks fine. While it was an unnecessary change it doesn't look bad and doesn't hurt the film.

The same can be said about the Ewoks. Yes... for those of us who grew up with non-blinking Ewoks it looks a little strange, but it doesn't look bad, just unfamiliar. And while it was sloppy of Lucas to only add blinking in certain shots, it again doesn't hurt the film.

Some may disagree with me, but these two changes don't bother me.

Cover art based on the work of QuickCut. "VI" image provided by Wabid.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds sweet dude. And I'm with you re blinking ewoks and Sebulba. Not nearly as bad as what you're removing.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
Is everything rendered? Because if not I was going to request one quick audio change.

For some reason "trust me" has been changed to "I can see a lot better"

Forgot that one. It was changed in my original cut and it has been changed in this cut. Thanks for reminding me, and I'll add it to my change list.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So where will we be able to find this and the original DVD version of the edit?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic Stiz said:
So where will we be able to find this and the original DVD version of the edit?

The current version is available on usenet. The remastered version will be there as well. Perhaps Demonoid too.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grabit is telling me all the parts are missing. Should I talk about this on the usenet thread?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic Stiz said:
Grabit is telling me all the parts are missing. Should I talk about this on the usenet thread?

PM incoming.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Remastered version is now available. If interested PM me, or seek it out on usenet or BT.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The NTSC DVD-5 version is now available on Rapidshare. PM me if interested.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*** Shameless plug ***

Now that edits like this can be listed on IFDB, for those that have watched it please take a moment to rate and review it on IFDB. Thank you.

NewDeli

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
rate and review it on IFDB
There is a small mistake on that IFDB page :
Original title is 'Return Of the Jedi', not 'Revenge of the Sith'.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Corrected. Thank you!

GMac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the SD version a few years back and it was great. I recently tried to get one of the HD versions but unfortunately one is no longer online and the others have missing and or irreparably damaged files.

Brad303

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm interested in this as well. Is it uploaded anywhere? None of my usual NZB sites show it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
parras said:
Jack of All Trades said:
I can't wait to watch this.
GMac said:
I saw the SD version a few years back and it was great. I recently tried to get one of the HD versions but unfortunately one is no longer online and the others have missing and or irreparably damaged files.
Brad303 said:
I'm interested in this as well. Is it uploaded anywhere? None of my usual NZB sites show it.

This is not the place to discuss edit availability.

All four of you,
If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will ge​t us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

If you break the rules again you will risk an infraction or ban.​

Top Bottom