• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Restored 35mm Print of Original Star Wars 1977 Film

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some impressive work being done here by Team Negative One. Here's what Harmy had to say about it on his "Despecialized" Facebook page:

"Team Negative 1 just released their "Star Wars: 35mm Silver Screen Theatrical Version"
It is a full 35mm transfer with cleanup and it looks awesome!

Until I can make a new version of Despecialized (and this will be an invaluable asset in doing that) I would definitely recommend Team Negative 1’s version over Despecialized v2.5.

It can be found the same way as Despecialized through the JDownloader method and for those who already have accounts (no new invites are being given out at this time) it's also on the spleen."

Here's the link:

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starw...e-One-completes-35mm-Restoration-of-Star-Wars

Katnip

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is exciting news! I just watched the Despecialized edition this week and I was already super impressed with that version.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I was thinking about this last night as I was looking for a way to get it, is this version ok to download? I own the "originals" but is this different than the edits we have here? This question spurred on as I thought about doing a Fievel Goes West "fan fix" and restoring the true widescreen version of that film, even bought the Region 2 version to do so, but then I thought that would be distributing a different source. Do any of us truly have the original source or this new Star Wars 35mm to be safe in downloading this? I just want to be safe on this one.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
is this version ok to download?

This question is beyond the scope of our site.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else seeing a lot of digital artifacts? Yes I know that this has dirt and what not, but it seems really pixely and grainy. Perhaps it's my media player? I watched some scenes on VLC and MP-HC and saw the same pixel grainy look. It does sort of clean up using Windows Media Player. Anyone else see this?

I believe I read that it was encoded as an mp4 and placed insidae a mkv container (I admit I don't fully understand all of this). Here's what the readme file says, "25G mkv [mp4 contained] 1080p". Could that effect the quality of the video? I was under the impression that mp4 encoding isn't necessarily a high quality format.

I just A/B'd it with Harmy's V2.5 and there is a definite difference in clarity. Probably due to Harmy using the Blu Ray as a source?

Please don't take this wrong way. This post isn't meant to complain. The Silver Screen edition is an amazing accomplishment and it's exciting to finally see it truly unaltered.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have not noticed compression artifacts, or blocking. It is grainy, but that's what you get from scanning 40 year old prints. I would rather have a little extra grain than a DNR smeared image.

Regarding your format comments. Note that MP4 and MKV are both containers. I'm not home to check, but I assume it is encoded with x264 codec. Harmy used the Bluray and HDTV captures as his HD source, so its not really a fair comparison.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Anyone else seeing a lot of digital artifacts? Yes I know that this has dirt and what not, but it seems really pixely and grainy.

Looks fine to me. I see quite a bit of grain, as it should have, but no pixelisation (and surprisingly little dirt and damage).

(Click images ^ for full res captures)

DigModiFicaTion said:
I believe I read that it was encoded as an mp4... Could that effect the quality of the video? I was under the impression that mp4 encoding isn't necessarily a high quality format.

Most Blu-Rays will use the same compression as most MP4s. It's just that you usually associate MP4s with small highly-compressed video clips, not 22GB blu-ray-sized ones like this.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ yep, that was my take on it. I think it looks really great. I don't mind the heavy grain at all.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It does look good. This is a restored version of the shot to compare (it's just a compressed screenshot).

ewVngwR.jpg

Top Bottom