• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Reservoir Dogs - The Freddy Newendyke File

Juic0r

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi I'm kinda new, and i don't know the actual procedure for this kinda thing. So ill just explain the edit and post links.

This is an edit of Reservoir Dogs, its intent is to keep to film on track with no down time.

Short form: I cut most/all character development from film and rearranged the scenes into chronological order.

Long Form: Cut - 1. Flashback to Mr. White character development.
2. Flashback to Mr. Blonde talkin to Joe and Eddie.
3. Flashback to Mr. Orange and all his undercover cop
scenes.
4. The scene where Mr. White and Mr. Orange are
scoping out the place they're gonna rob.

All Scenes placed into chronological order the best way i
thought they fit together.

The whole process took one week since i am fairly new to editing video.

The end product turned out just as i envisioned it. maintaining full dvd quality.

Reservoir_Dogs_TFNF_Cover_1_by_juic0r.jpg
rESERVOIR_dOGS_tfnf_COVER_2_v_by_juic0r.jpg

available via rapidshare

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow!!! Thanks for doing this and the great way you shared it.
This is a firstling, right?
So, guys, we need some comments for the quality here.
Great post :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok... I already watched this, because it was just about time to watch Reservoir Dogs again.
First of: this is approved to go on fanedit.org
18596830yi7.png

The edit:

well done. One skipped scene (Harvey Keitel looking into the mirror) that I spotted. The true beginning of the movie, when they talk about Madonna's "Like A Virgin" is a bit problematic, because it starts in the off, which just doesn't fit the rest of the movie. Besides that it is great to watch the movie chronological, it has a different feel to it. The flashbacks are not missed. Still I favor the original over this one. But it sure is a good alternative. Thanks for creating this.

editing: 3 of 5,
entertainment: 4 of 5

Image quality:
The image is milky, which could be caused by DVD Shrink or maybe too much encoding. There is slight blurring in moments of strong movement. There is a little stutter to the movie, but it was only noticable to me, when the credits were running. Besides that, the image is sharp and can be tolerated.
video quality: 3 of 5

Audio quality:

Besides the audio being just 2.0 and not surround it was done very well. I did not realize any off sync parts, volume problems or hard cuts.
audio: 4 of 5

resulting in a 3 of 5 overall rating from me. Still a good one, but it could be improved by solving some minor problems (surround sound, improved image quality, better inclusion of the true beginning, avoiding the one noticable scene skipping)

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In that case I think I'll wait. I have a great idea for a Res Dogs edit, but it's obviously difficult movie to edit. If you wanna give this another crack, if not, I'll probably get around to it one of these days.

Make the car scene the opener. Then the naming scene. Then the scene where they scope the place out. Then the restaurant scene. Then as the credits end, you see the Mr. Pink Escape Footage and then the Mr. Orange/White Escape. Then to the warehouse till the end.

This way, you don't know who the cop is until the words come out of his mouth. This is my idea. If someone wants to take a stab at it, go to it. Otherwise I'll do it after I finish my next couple edits (Two Jakes and F13 part 2)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very nice review of a firstling fanedit.

So are you rating the editing itself?.

2.0 should only be accepted if the original material is 2.0.

We should only accept 5 out of 5.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
well it's got the boon seal of approval and and it's reservoir dogs. So this is going in the need to download list.

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know what sucks. I don't think my DVD authoring program supports 5.1. Isn't that weird?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
which one is it? (and of course kbm was joking)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hadn't seen the approved logo.

So that was it? Boon saw it and it passed?

Way to go Boon!!!

And here I thought you were delegating.

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using Avid DVD by Sonic v5.1 (how ironic). I could probably upgrade for a couple hundred, but I've bought so much crap the last few months. I'd like to stay with this product because I know it well.

Luckily for me my only edits so far have had mono/stereo sound lol.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
avid dvd? never heard of that. Is that for mac?
(kbm, joking about saying that each fanedit has to be 5.1 if the source was)

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It came with my Avid Xpress Studio. It costs $1100 to buy on its own. I just read the help file. Apparently it supports 5.1, but you can't use the audio transcoder to make 5.1. You must be working with a 5.1 file from the start.

I'm downloading a "demo" of Vegas to see if the fake 5.1s will work with this program. If so I'll be sound as a pound, whatever that means.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the precedent set by the example of how fast this FIRST TIME FANEDITOR got his film on fanedit.org

To all FIRST TIME FANEDITORS: UPLOAD YOUR FILM AND PM BOON23 TO WATCH IT. THIS IS THE FASTEST WAY TO GET IN ON THE ACTION.

PM Boon often as he is usually asleep at his computer, his hand still clutching the mouse. He will pretend this is all a joke and eventually act irritated.
Ignore his crazy german antics.

And good luck.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it doesn't I can offer my help to turn your 2.0 into fake 5.1.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
We should only accept 5 out of 5.

I hope that's a joke. Some edits done by...ahem, "seasoned professionals" don't deserve 5 out of 5.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, it's a humor thing :) Don't worry. We will only accept 6 out of 5 from now on. ;-)

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
we are setting the bar so high here that your edit must receive an 11 on a scale of 10 to be accepted.

TeresofBlood

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey boon, I'm messin around with the 5.1 thing now. It says dialogue normalization and it's set to -27 db. What should I put there. I want the dialogue loud lol. It's never loud enough for me on 5.1 systems.

ADDED: Also, I just tried it and it said my file is not suited for 5.1 and that option has been filtered out. Will I be able to import the audio from the signpost avi, or do I have to encode first then import. Is there a tutorial on this?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what is a signpost avi?
-27db is the normal option for surround.
If the volume was ok before it will also be afterwards.

Top Bottom