• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Replacing songs with versions from the soundtrack album

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My current edit, Bubblegum Crisis, is very music-heavy. There are songs in every episode. I've got the Complete Vocal Collection album, and I'm using it to replace some songs with others. However, I'm also considering replacing even the songs that I'm retaining with their CD equivalents. This would probably be done with only the songs in the end credits, since songs that appear elsewhere tend to have sound effects and/or talking.

Here, for example, are the stats for the song "Wild and Scarred", which closes out Crisis episode 2:

DVD: Format: Dolby AC-3, Channel: 2, Bit Rate: 192 kbps, Sample Rate: 48.0 kHz

CD: Format: Linear PCM, Channel: Stereo, Bit Rate: 1411.2 kbps, Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Would replacing the songs make any noticeable difference?

Depends on how both sound. The bitrates alone don't answer that. Listen to both versions of the song (make sure to level match). If that doesn't give you a clear winner, open both in e.g. Audacity and look at the waveforms of the tracks to see the difference in dynamic range and whether either is clipped.

And yes, I'm certainly a believer in replacing the same song when useful. I've replaced some music with identical tracks from CDs. E.g. in Buck Rogers because the blu-ray is mono and sometimes stereo music adds usefully to the experience, and my ongoing edit of the Three Musketeers where the 1973 soundtrack is thin and a bit tinny compared to the CDs.

Yep, I have replaced the music audio from the source file, or even overlayed the CD soundtrack on top of the existing source file on numerous occasions. I'm currently working on my Jaws 2 edit and I am overlaying the entire score from the CD on top of the existing music from the source file... this is so the music can be heard in proper stereo and it has much more dynamics that the music from the movie. The trick is to spend a long time matching it as close as you possibly can to ensure the listener can't hear any echo, which can happen even if you're a frame out.
But yeah, replacing the songs in your case could well make a difference - just listen to it with good headphones on and you should be able to tell if it's better ;)

Back
Top Bottom