• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Rendering at a frame rate different from project settings

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently edited a project where the original video is 23.976 fps, but the project settings in Vegas had been set to 25 fps (automatically). I didn't notice this until finishing the edit and getting ready to render. I rendered the whole thing in 23.976 fps, and was wondering if this would have any negative effects? When I change the project settings to 23.976 fps, all the cuts are slightly off and need to be adjusted, so I'd prefer not to do this unless there's no workaround.

Clip here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhyjYV6C97NMTQ5-BbEd4412XREWeYNB/view

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
further to this, I am spotting stuttering in the render. Vegas for some reason is detecting the video as being 25fps, when in fact it is 23.976fps (according to MediaInfo). Rendering at the correct framerate (23.976) causes stuttering regardless of project settings.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vegas usually auto detects settings and applies them to the project settings. Sounds like the base source file has issues. It's annoying, but I'd recommend starting with a fresh rip.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For future reference:

Framerate is generally something you want to guarantee is consistent across all of your source files and your project file. If any of your starting materials are in a different framerate, it's almost always a very good idea to alter the mismatched source to match the others. Usually this just means changing the framerate and stretching/shrinking the audio to match the new length, but sometimes it's more complicated than that (if you have interlaced 29.97 source material in particular).

Once you have all of your source material converted into the same framerate, you then need to make sure that your timeline/project file/whatever (depending on your software) is set to the same framerate as your source files. And finally, of course, when exporting, you need to make sure that the export framerate marches all the rest.

Having a different framerate at any one of these steps is liable to cause massive headaches, such as the stuttering and mismatched cuts you mentioned.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To maybe help solve your issue - assuming all of your source material is in fact 23.976fps, your only real course of action is to change the project settings to 23.976 and then go back and fix all the mismatched cuts.

If that doesn't work, then yeah, what DigMod said - somewhere along your pipeline from ripping to loading the files up in Vegas, the framerate flags got screwed up, and you'll need to re-rip and ensure that the framerate is correct throughout. This will still require changing your project settings and readjusting all the misaligned cuts, so you should still do that first before worrying about replacing source files.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thank you to both @DigModiFicaTion and @ChainsawAsh. Someone else was having a similar problem in this thread. I realise you are both correct, the original rip had a mismatched framerate. I've figured out how to convert the rip so that framerate is at a constant 23.976, I'll try replacing the original project video file with this CFR version. Cheers.

Top Bottom