• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Render Always Crashes

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm unable to render my latest project, either in part or in full. This happens regardless of output format settings. The render will begin, but it will crash early on. It's never at one specific percentage, either. I've reduced dynamic ram preview to 0 as suggested. I've disabled GPU acceleration. I've tried batch rendering. I've tried replacing the source files with equivalents in alternate file formats. I'm stumped.

I know exactly how this feels from my POTC woes. Sorry to hear it. I was going to suggest disabling GPU (As that can be problem that causes render crashes) but I see you already did that :(.

i had the same problem, it delayed my Jason in space edit for about a month.
if it is vegas 12 v3 it will always do it.
i harassed sony till they fixed it for me they gave me a beta of vegas 13(lasted 30 days), then sent me 12 v7 and it worked after that.
i hope that helped.

reaper18783x said:
i had the same problem, it delayed my Jason in space edit for about a month.
if it is vegas 12 v3 it will always do it.
i harassed sony till they fixed it for me they gave me a beta of vegas 13(lasted 30 days), then sent me 12 v7 and it worked after that.
i hope that helped.

It's Vegas Pro Version 12.0 (Build 770) 64-bit. Latest update, no new version available.

I think you might have said that you already did this, but I'm not good with computer terms. What I do is got to task manager, and set affinity of vegas pro to only #3 or #2.

TM Productions said:
I think you might have said that you already did this, but I'm not good with computer terms. What I do is got to task manager, and set affinity of vegas pro to only #3 or #2.

Force it to use only a single core? Odd. It's worth a shot. I'll let you know how that goes.

TM Productions said:

That did it! At least, it was the right idea. I've got a weird hex-core processor, with two threads per core. I set Vegas's internal settings to use no more than 6 threads, and set the affinity to the final six threads in the task manager. Render completed: a three hour, thirty seven minute, sixty field per second workprint... in just over an hour! I think rendering efficiency is higher when using this method than it was beforehand - before the crashing issue, I mean. Thank you so much for your help!

matrixgrindhouse said:
That did it! At least, it was the right idea. I've got a weird hex-core processor, with two threads per core. I set Vegas's internal settings to use no more than 6 threads, and set the affinity to the final six threads in the task manager. Render completed: a three hour, thirty seven minute, sixty field per second workprint... in just over an hour! I think rendering efficiency is higher when using this method than it was beforehand - before the crashing issue, I mean. Thank you so much for your help!

Nice one! I wonder if a similar technique might help my POTC rendering issue with my Quad-Core setup?

TM2YC said:
Nice one! I wonder if a similar technique might help my POTC rendering issue with my Quad-Core setup?

I'd say it's worth a try! The Vegas setting I adjusted is in preferences-video-rendering threads. I'd say set it to half the number of available threads, then adjust the affinity in task manager to use only the later half of your threads.

grrrrr. Finally have time to get back into editing and having rendering issues that never used to happen.

I normally edit in 8bit video mode, then switch to 32bit for rendering. The first few test clips rendered perfectly fine. But since it's been awhile and couldnt remember exactly which settings for things like composite gamma I kept tweaking a little and they all seemed pretty much the same so i just set it back to 32bit full mode, 1.000 .... and now it just freezes when I try to render.

It will render on 8 bit totally fine, but won't do 32 bit at all. Usually it just sits at 0%, sometimes it will count up to like 2-3% before freezing, but never any more. I could have sworn I've undid every change I made and the settings are identical to the first couple of test renders I tried, but what worked a few hours ago no longer works.

I did find a workaround, I disabled gpu acceleration, and now it will render 32bit video, but much slower than before. But at least something. So frustrating, it was working, I tried a few things, forgot what i tried, and now can't go back and instead just have to suffer through slower renders.

Anybody have any ideas what I may have changed that would make this happen? I realize this is the vaguest question ever and you have almost nothing to go on. I'm mainly just venting here, not expecting a good answer.

Vegas renders always crashed in gpu mode from day one for me. Many report the same problem, so you've probably been lucky that it ever worked for you at all ;-).

If you find a solution I'd be interested to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom