• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Remove DRM-protection from Amazon Instant Video (or iTunes)[ABANDONED]

Is somebody moonlighting as Boon or can we welcome back the father of the our Matrix? :)

dangermouse said:
Is somebody moonlighting as Boon or can we welcome back the father of the our Matrix? :)

no one moonlighting. Boon never really went anywhere, he's just really quiet these days ;)

boon23:
From what I know "interview with the vampire" is on bluray just an upscale of the dvd master. It is a very hated bluray on amazon. I don't think there is any true hi-res material.

Oh, that's good to hear, too! I don't think there are any special-er features or cut scenes on the BD either, which also sucks. IWTV was released in Nov. of 1994, so the VC (vampire chronicles) fandom is clamoring for a 20th anniversary disk w/ SOMETHING cool, in 2014. I'm kinda hoping that if I can create a viral fanedit, Neil Jordan might be inspired to give back to the fandom w/ a good 20th anniversary disk, or choose one of the other books to bring to the big screen (there are 10 total currently).

boon23:
So you are probably fine using the DVD for your fanedit, which is way easier to rip and to transcode to avi. Good luck with your project.
thanks! I will keep you all posted, since you've been so helpful :]

Actually, I will post later when I get home, bc I don't think VLC will output to AVI, and I need help choosing the codecs/formats that are available. I did check out http://forum.videohelp.com, as recommended by someone on here (too lazy to check right now, sorries!) and that had some good info but not the specific output format settings I should aim for. I'll take screenshots and post here later.

UPDATE: I'm pleased to report that VLC successfully captures from DVD! Can capture scenes, or an entire DVD. There are alot of tutes out there on Youtube, I just liked the ease of the tutes below.

NEW QUESTION: Now we have some output settings to choose from.
http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

I'm also attaching a zip folder (hopefully works, never attached anything to a post in a forum before!) w/ screenshots of the windows where I have to make output choices. For now, VLC is working merrily away on the default settings, outputting to .mP4 (AVI was not an output option). I'll let you know the specs of the output.

Thanks in advance!

[align=center]~Here's the tute for scene capture~
(this is for Mac, but I have a PC, works the same)

~Here's the tute for entire capture~

FYI you can upload screenshots to a site like imageshack then post the images here, rather than making people download a zip file.

I feel like I'm barraging you guys, but you love this stuff, right? Gotta overcome the technical obstacles to get to the fun part. And it's always good to learn a new way to get the source footage, right?

TV's Frink:
FYI you can upload screenshots to a site like imageshack then post the images here, rather than making people download a zip file.

Okay, thanks! Didn't think of that. Done. Didn't want this stuff in my Tumblr, for obv reasons.

Here are the screenshots:

1) Main Conversion Profile Options:
BTW, I was using Lost Highway as a test DVD only, not gonna be working with that one. And I didn't scroll down further because those were Audio-only formats, starting with Vorbis.

w9ot.png

2) Encapsulation options
Starts on MPEG-TS as a default.

i55v.png

3) Video Codec options:

hk8k.png

4) Audio Codec options:

jv5k.png

Awaiting reply... VLC currectly capturing DVD, taking a LONG time. It's captured 23 min (out of a total 1:20 min movie + features, is 2 hours total to capture) in about 11 hours so far. Filesize of capture is about 728 mb right now.

Why aren't you just ripping the DVD? From there you can extract the audio and video.

Mannimations said:
Gotta overcome the technical obstacles to get to the fun part. And it's always good to learn a new way to get the source footage, right?

Dude, I'm gonna bit a bit blunt here. Love the enthusiasm but you are trying to recreate the wheel and quite frankly not doing a very good job of it. You are using VLC to convert a DVD to an Mpeg-4 to then edit to then convert into lord knows what. Your end product is going to look terrible. Furthermore, not only are you trying to recreate the wheel, you are trying to share your blocky wheel discovery with people who are driving BMW equivalents. This wouldn't bother me except for the potential that other folk will come along and try to follow your workflow outlined here.

Stop everything you are doing and take a big step back. Start asking simpler questions if you really want to understand this stuff. Or just follow a guide as discussed before.

Here is step 1 to help you get started: Download DVDfab and use it to rip the main movie to your hard drive from the DVD. The feature you need is free. It breaks the copyright protections while leaving the video and audio unaltered (i.e. re-encoded or transcoded).

Then the question becomes do you want to just try editing the MPEG-2 or convert the video and audio to lossless formats for editing, which generally results in fewer technical problems and higher quality (though most programs do pretty well editing MPEG-2 these days). In either case, there are some potential interlacing / IVTC and framerate issues you need to address at some point.

At the point you are at, the above paragraph probably doesn't make much sense. I can tell that you are researching hard and trying to figure this all out, but you don't yet know the right questions to ask. Its ok. Take a deep breath and a big step back.

Question 1 to research: What is the difference between different video and audio formats? Any format that you see, look it up. Wikipedia actually isn't too shabby for a lot of this. I just googled "comparison of video formats" and some good stuff came up. http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200909/page14.html. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_container_formats.

2. What is the difference between resolution and compression? What is compression? How do different bitrates correspond with different file sizes and quality at different resolutions?

3. What resolutions are standard?

4. What framerates are standard?

5. How do I rip, edit, & re-encode video and audio without degrading the quality?

Then comes more fun questions such as, "How do I edit this mofo?" Or just have fun and wing it with the technical details. Most people do. After all, it is important to have fun. Just be prepared to potentially have to start over from scratch once your knowledge improves if you really want to create something professional looking.

A good starting trick is to take a small bit of edited video, like a trailer or something and take it through the entire workflow process. Look at your finished product and compare it to your original.

Me:

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpg

Okay, okay. I give up. I actually have been communicating privately with some of you, and already acquiesced there, just didn't raise the white flag here. So here it is. :yield:

And I'm going to copy-paste your post and read it carefully and slowly. That's why I'm not quoting it and responding to it piecemeal now, but I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to write such an extensive and thoughtful reply, when you had no obligation to do so (though also helpful just for the record here, to discourage potential future VLC-as-capture-peddlers).

I'm doing it the Captain Khajiit way. I'll check out the links and try the shorter editing procedure you suggested. And I'm going to use Premiere. The VLC capture actually failed anyway, after getting to be over 1 gb, as you probably expected.

Sorry to have been a bother, gonna do CK's guide this weekend. :rapture:

no need to keep these questions to PM. The conversations are good to include the larger community.

thanks ThrowgnCpr :hug:

Just wanted to underline that my attempted VLC way FAILED, and I think that's important to get out there, in a public forum, so noone wastes their time trying it that way.

ThrowgnCpr said:
no need to keep these questions to PM. The conversations are good to include the larger community.

Preferred in fact. Then people best able to respond can do so without unnecessary repetition.

Yes, this is a great thread, because it highlights the importance of workflow, something which every first-time editor gets wrong. We just jump right in without a clue, and sometimes we're ok, but more often than not it becomes a mess and we have to start over.
And your attitude is perfect Mannimations - you're humble and willing to learn and that goes a LOOOONG way in this community. Dudes will spend hours helping you. This place rocks! :)

[MENTION=25718]Mannimations[/MENTION], on a non-technical note, I'm a big fan Interview with a Vampire and curious what your editing thoughts are on it. Of course you don't have to share your thoughts, but if you want to share, you can start up an In-The-Works thread about it to discuss!

UPDATE: Success! :bounce:

Just changed the title of the first post of my thread to the following: "Remove DRM-protection from Amazon Instant Video (or iTunes)[Abandoned]"

Based on public and private discussions here, (which, BTW, this forum has been priceless to me!!! So glad I found you!) I've come to the conclusion that the quality of the Amazon Instant Video (or iTunes) files would not be sufficient for fanediting purposes. I own the DVD of Interview with the Vampire, the BD apparently is not significantly better, and there are highly praised guides for ripping from DVD right here, so I went ahead with that instead of the folly of trying to remove DRM from AI (or iT) vids.

Following Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio, and his helpful advice, I successfully obtained the source footage and audio tracks! So now I'm ready to dL Premiere and get to the fun part.

Geminigod said:
Mannimations, on a non-technical note, I'm a big fan Interview with a Vampire and curious what your editing thoughts are on it. Of course you don't have to share your thoughts, but if you want to share, you can start up an In-The-Works thread about it to discuss!
Well, I can't leave this entirely unanswered in public, now that I'm in such a good mood! I have several ideas, but they're about making new trailers for IWTV to suggest different films it could have been. Or just reediting certain scenes in a humorous way... I might post these ideas in the In-the-Works or Ideas sections someday...

One idea is to reedit the film into a trailer in the style of Shining, which turned The Shining into an old-school family-feel-good movie. It makes me smile every time I watch it. You can't help yourself but smile at it. It's an oldie but a goodie.

[align=center]

I look forward to seeing some of your work! I've always enjoyed Interview as it is, and I'd love to see a new take on the material! :D

Mannimations said:
UPDATE: Success! :bounce:

Hey mods, if you have a chance and it's not too big a deal, please change the title of the first post of my thread to the following (bc I don't seem to have permission to do so): "Remove DRM-protection from Amazon Instant Video (or iTunes)[Abandoned]"

You can do it yourself. Just edit your first post, be sure to do an advanced edit, and change the title.

TV's Frink said:
You can do it yourself. Just edit your first post, be sure to do an advanced edit, and change the title.

Thanks, Frink! Didn't see that option before. Done. :thumb:

Aztek463 said:
I look forward to seeing some of your work! I've always enjoyed Interview as it is, and I'd love to see a new take on the material! :D

There is actually an enormous fandom out there for Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (IWTV was based on the first book in the series of 10). The avalanche of sub-standard vampires we've been awash with for the past few years, and Tumblr, are really bringing IWTV & the VC fandom back to life.

For now, if you are a fan of IWTV, you might like my tumblr, in which I have silly meme-things about it. Like the one below.

I've never ready any of Rice's work, but I think the majority of the folks here will agree that Twilight is a travesty, not just as a vampire film, but as a film in general. Twilight in general is an affront to good literature in general, but I digress. Where was I?

I'll definitely have a look! :)

Back
Top Bottom