• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Red Dwarf: Present from the Future

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just completed a workprint for a fanedit combining two classic Red Dwarf time travel episodes - Series II's Stasis Leak and Series VI's Out of Time. While I'm not a subscriber to the theory of the two alternate futures shown in these episodes being one and the same, the thought of editing the two together into a parallel storyline appealed to me as they both involve the crew investigating their future selves to find out what will happen to them in the future, albeit for very different reasons.

The edit runs at 43 minutes. SL is largely unchanged but a great chunk of the opening of OoT was removed - the unreality minefield was basically superfluous to the main thrust of the story, and the subsequent dialogue only refers to it as a minefield; thus, no explanation required, it could just as well be a regular minefield in space.

It's an interesting realization of the fan theory, but from what you showed me, I was initially very confused, it doesn't feel like the episodes compliment the theory and just feel like one story is sandwiched every now and then between another, I also think you need to add the pre-titles of series VII at the very end so there's a better pay off to the OOT footage

I also think you need to add the pre-titles of series VII at the very end so there's a better pay off to the OOT footage
I wouldn't exactly call that a better pay-off, but I concede your point about the lack thereof.
It's an interesting realization of the fan theory, but from what you showed me, I was initially very confused, it doesn't feel like the episodes compliment the theory and just feel like one story is sandwiched every now and then between another
Also a fair point. I'm starting to realise this wasn't quite as coherent as I thought it would be. I need to spend some more time thinking on this.

Well, I think this thread needs moving back into ITW. I might as well see what I can do to tighten this thing up. In all honesty I think I got overexcited in saying it was finished anyway.

Back
Top Bottom