• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Red Dwarf: Back To Earth: No coronation street edition

Are there any acadamy members who would be willing to approve this edit?

Time for the Academy review, sorry it's taken so long. Before I start, I wanted to know what is the source for this edit? and how have you prepped it for editing? Thanks.

TM2YC said:
Time for the Academy review, sorry it's taken so long. Before I start, I wanted to know what is the source for this edit? and how have you prepped it for editing? Thanks.

It's from the 2009 DVD and I prepped it for editing using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platnium 11 and used Prism video converter to transfer the files into editable ones. I can't remember what I used to rip it from the disk, but I know it wasn't MakeMKV (which is what I use now).

wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

It's from the 2009 DVD and I prepped it for editing using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platnium 11 and used Prism video converter to transfer the files into editable ones. I can't remember what I used to rip it from the disk, but I know it wasn't MakeMKV (which is what I use now).

Thanks. I haven't heard of Prism but I use a version of Vegas myself. Here is my Academy review:

I hadn't seen this Red Dwarf special in a long time but the memories weren't good. However with it trimmed down and the Coronation Street trip removed it's not too bad. I'd forgotten how much of a parody of 'Blade Runner' it is. Some of the references to BR are pretty lame and unfunny but the ridiculous "Esper" photo-analysis scene is hilarious. The removal of the Corrie scenes aren't missed and their absence doesn't effect the overall plot.

There are some audio problems, noticeable visual cuts and one story problem that mean this isn't approved yet unfortunately. I think they are all solvable problems though, with some extra time and care devoted to finessing a few areas. Here are the issues that need addressing:

00.38 - There is an audio glitch, a pop sound in the right speaker when we cut to the Red Dwarf interior.
04.58 - There is another audio glitch after Kryten says "I already am packed".
05.45 - There is a bad fade to back here. It was in the original broadcast but could easily be fixed. If Red Dwarf (and most sci-fi shows) want to indicate a passage of time they traditionally cut to an exterior of the ship and a bit of music. e.g. exactly like the transition at 08.39.
09.06 - Another audio pop glitch on this cut that links the two corridor scenes between Katerina and Rimmer. The cut itself is a nice idea.
14.37 - The music abruptly cuts off on the shot of the DVD shipper where the escalator scene has been deleted.
17.23 - This rapid fade to black doesn't work, video, or audio wise. Also the next scene is a non sequitur, without the scene in the middle where Rimmer explains they are searching for money.
23.44 - Another bad fade to black as the bus pulls away. The audio is very rough as well. Okay the fade up was from the original show but the fade down wasn't I think.
24.06 - Katerina is referencing parts of the plot that you've deleted, so her dialogue makes little sense. There were a couple of scenes in episode1 that setup that she is a threat to Rimmer's life and would want to pursue them for that reason. Her re-appearance already felt like she came outta nowhere, this magnifies that problem. The earlier scenes either need to be put back in, or this scene needs removed.
27.12 - Music and audio abruptly ends, then abruptly restarts on another quick fade to black between the car trip and the shot of the Palace of Westminster/London HQ of Tyrell Corp. The removal of the Coronation Street sequence is another nice bit of streamlining in principle, as we now go smoothly from the nose guy talking about the writer, to the writer himself.
30.01 - Lister now goes from arguing forcefully with the writer with an optimistic look on his face, to totally giving up with a defeated look on his face in two cuts. Feels very odd without him pitching his terrible idea in between and needs fixed/improved. When Lister says "Alright, it sucks", its vague as to what "it" means. His life sucks in general?
43.42 - The ending title music sounds very thin, compressed and tinny compared with the original (and with your opening credits). Is this because you took the scrolling 'Director's Cut' version of the credits from one source but the rest of the episodes from a broadcast version source? If so, why have you done this? You should own both in the same quality.

You should eliminate the four fades-to-black, 3 where you've removed scenes and 1 that was originally there. The original fade at 05.45 could be easily replaced with an exterior shot of Red Dwarf and a piece of music to indicate a small passage of time, just like the one at 08.39. The other 3 just fade out/in to avoid making 3 better/smoother/invisible cuts. You seamlessly removed one fade to black at 27.56 and it plays so much better because of it. Why not do that for the other fades to black?

Also I noticed these 2 terrible cuts from the original show that you could have a go at fixing/improving (you don't have to though because they're the fault of the original editor)...

04.12 - The cut on "fritter the critter" doesn’t match at all. On the closeup Lister is smiling and looking ahead with his hand up, on the wide he is frowning, looking down and his hand is in his pocket. Cutting to a reaction from Rimmer (for example) could improve this bad cut.
36.34 - Lister blurts out "useless" which doesn't seem to connect with Cat's surrounding dialogue. I'm not sure I can see a way to fix this bad cut though without an available cutaway to Lister, or Rimmer.

Lastly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back and check every audio for little audio pops, in case I've missed any. Let me know if any of my points aren't clear. Thanks.

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

Thanks. I haven't heard of Prism but I use a version of Vegas myself. Here is my Academy review:

I hadn't seen this Red Dwarf special in a long time but the memories weren't good. However with it trimmed down and the Coronation Street trip removed it's not too bad. I'd forgotten how much of a parody of 'Blade Runner' it is. Some of the references to BR are pretty lame and unfunny but the ridiculous "Esper" photo-analysis scene is hilarious. The removal of the Corrie scenes aren't missed and their absence doesn't effect the overall plot.

There are some audio problems, noticeable visual cuts and one story problem that mean this isn't approved yet unfortunately. I think they are all solvable problems though, with some extra time and care devoted to finessing a few areas. Here are the issues that need addressing:
00.38 - There is an audio glitch, a pop sound in the right speaker when we cut to the Red Dwarf interior.
04.58 - There is another audio glitch after Kryten says "I already am packed".
05.45 - There is a bad fade to back here. It was in the original broadcast but could easily be fixed. If Red Dwarf (and most sci-fi shows) want to indicate a passage of time they traditionally cut to an exterior of the ship and a bit of music. e.g. exactly like the transition at 08.39.
09.06 - Another audio pop glitch on this cut that links the two corridor scenes between Katerina and Rimmer. The cut itself is a nice idea.
14.37 - The music abruptly cuts off on the shot of the DVD shipper where the escalator scene has been deleted.
17.23 - This rapid fade to black doesn't work, video, or audio wise. Also the next scene is a non sequitur, without the scene in the middle where Rimmer explains they are searching for money.
23.44 - Another bad fade to black as the bus pulls away. The audio is very rough as well. Okay the fade up was from the original show but the fade down wasn't I think.
24.06 - Katerina is referencing parts of the plot that you've deleted, so her dialogue makes little sense. There were a couple of scenes in episode1 that setup that she is a threat to Rimmer's life and would want to pursue them for that reason. Her re-appearance already felt like she came outta nowhere, this magnifies that problem. The earlier scenes either need to be put back in, or this scene needs removed.
27.12 - Music and audio abruptly ends, then abruptly restarts on another quick fade to black between the car trip and the shot of the Palace of Westminster/London HQ of Tyrell Corp. The removal of the Coronation Street sequence is another nice bit of streamlining in principle, as we now go smoothly from the nose guy talking about the writer, to the writer himself.
30.01 - Lister now goes from arguing forcefully with the writer with an optimistic look on his face, to totally giving up with a defeated look on his face in two cuts. Feels very odd without him pitching his terrible idea in between and needs fixed/improved. When Lister says "Alright, it sucks", its vague as to what "it" means. His life sucks in general?
43.42 - The ending title music sounds very thin, compressed and tinny compared with the original (and with your opening credits). Is this because you took the scrolling 'Director's Cut' version of the credits from one source but the rest of the episodes from a broadcast version source? If so, why have you done this? You should own both in the same quality.

You should eliminate the four fades-to-black, 3 where you've removed scenes and 1 that was originally there. The original fade at 05.45 could be easily replaced with an exterior shot of Red Dwarf and a piece of music to indicate a small passage of time, just like the one at 08.39. The other 3 just fade out/in to avoid making 3 better/smoother/invisible cuts. You seamlessly removed one fade to black at 27.56 and it plays so much better because of it. Why not do that for the other fades to black?

Also I noticed these 2 terrible cuts from the original show that you could have a go at fixing/improving (you don't have to though because they're the fault of the original editor)...
04.12 - The cut on "fritter the critter" doesn’t match at all. On the closeup Lister is smiling and looking ahead with his hand up, on the wide he is frowning, looking down and his hand is in his pocket. Cutting to a reaction from Rimmer (for example) could improve this bad cut.
36.34 - Lister blurts out "useless" which doesn't seem to connect with Cat's surrounding dialogue. I'm not sure I can see a way to fix this bad cut though without an available cutaway to Lister, or Rimmer.

Lastly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back and check every audio for little audio pops, in case I've missed any. Let me know if any of my points aren't clear. Thanks.
It's been a long time since I did this edit, so I won't be able to answer all your questions. I do remember that I was having issues ripping the director's cut and for some reason, the audio just came out really bad. Looks like I'm back to re-doing the edit (and I've seen the other Back to Earth edit that's on IFDB, so I have more guidance for it now).

As my work on the redone version of Back to Earth starts to close (unless the admins request I do more edits, we'll see), I've discovered why Back to Earth turned out the way it did, to quote TV Tropes:

Early in planning, this was meant to be a two-part story, accompanied by a special called Red Dwarf Unplugged which would have seen the cast performing classic Red Dwarf scenes in front of a live audience. When they tried to do a run-through however, nearly everyone involved realized that the idea simply wasn't going to work, and since Dave had already commissioned three episodes from Grant Naylor Productions, it necessitated changing Back to Earth into a three-part story.

This explains alot:

-The slow pacing and drawn-out scenes were to justify the money spent on the sets and locations (as they only had enough money for 2-parts).

-The Coronation Street segment: for publicity reasons. I can't get too mad at it, as it did work and now we have another 3 seasons and a feature-length special, with more to come!

I've re-watched a new version of this 'Back to Earth' edit and it's much better. The fade-to-blacks are skilfully removed, the audio pops are all gone and there are a few more bits of streamlined narrative/continuity. A few of the best new changes:

04.11 - Great work removing that bad "fritter the critter" continuity problem from the original show.
05.44 - Perfect removal of that fade-to-black (and the others).
21.38 - The cut from the "catch the bus" line to 'Nose World' works nicely, it also makes the bus line funnier. It might be even funnier if a bit more of the tea slurping was left in?

Unfortunately there is one bit that isn't right yet and needs fixed:

17.06 - The music is at least 200% too loud here It's drowning out Kryten's dialogue about the sci-fi shop. I'm not 100% convinced about the way this bit has been recut without the sofa scene but with the music properly mixed it might just work. While the characters are talking the music needs dialled waaaay down overall, plus if your audio editing program allows such finesseing, you could slightly quieten the music underneath the actual lines as well to make it extra smooth.

This one spot doesn't need fixed but might benefit from one more polish:

24.15 - The Audio mixing between the funky car music and the dark orchestral piece on the Thames shot is okay but it could be better. You could try smooth it out some more.

This cut of 'Back to Earth' is nearly there and will surely be the go-to version. Thanks @wilhelm scream

Thanks for the review, I'll definatly turn down the music, expect a new version within a few days.

Willhelm appears to have vanished, all his comments are gone!

I have now APPROVED this edit but I don't think this is the right thread for approvals.

Back
Top Bottom