• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Red Dwarf: Back To Earth: No coronation street edition

TVs Frink said:
Ok which of your other two ITW threads do you want moved to Inactive?

My X-men trilogy: part 1, as I need to do something more simple before tackling it again.

I've taken a quick peek...

The quality is much improved from the last version. Prior to this, everything looked like they were made of sharp edges. Solid alterations so far.

Edit submitted, thread moved to Pending.  Good luck.

Alright guys, since I'm still waiting for this edit to be submitted (or rejected, whatever happens), I decided to make a trailer for it. So enjoy (p.s. this is my first time doing a split-screen comparison, so it's not perfect and not 100% accurate to the final edit): 

Good news, I finally got some decent video conversion software and I was able to upload it to Vimeo! 

Password: fanedit.org

Right, second go at writing this.

I watched this last night after a personal resurgent interest in Red Dwarf again. I'm no stranger to it having watched it since the second series many years ago.

I didn't mind BtE - and being a Blade Runner fan, it didn't bother me. I was aware however of some corny jokes and shenanigans as well as an overall darker theme that didn't entirely suit.

I watched a Vimeo version which was at 580p, so I won't be commenting on the audio and video quality.

So here are some thoughts - just my thoughts, don't take them personally, it's just my opinion.

Overall, this a quite a competent cut with some relatively minor technical issues. 

I liked the insertion of the later series Red Dwarf. I didn't notice the replacement of these scenes at all. The ship looks good. Not so sure about the 'Back to Earth' title though.

The thing that pulled me out several times was the quick fade to black scenes. They seem a little quick. I'm not sure what would work, but either slow them down or cross transition into the next scene? I found them not really jarring, but somewhat jarring. Other than these, there was one very quick cut at the end where it goes from Lister to Rimmer and quickly back. There was obviously something removed here and you needed to cut to Rimmer, or was it you cut a Rimmer line?

The bell sequence at the start seems to end rather quickly. I do recall there was some shenanigans that went on too long and perhaps some corny jokes, but this is somewhat a common theme. I kinda felt that in 45 mins, I smirked once and didn't laugh at all. So has there been more trimming of jokes than necessary? just my opinion.

So overall, I think this feels better than the Editor's Cut by Father Merrin - but these fade outs and that quick cut need to be fixed somehow for it to feel seemless. I certainly don't miss the Coronation Street stuff or note it was missing.

Editing-wise:

Audio - no problems, 10/10
Video - 6/10 - fadeouts and the quick Rimmer cut at the end
Narrative - Good. Except I'm missing some jokes, so 9/10.

white43 said:
Right, second go at writing this.

I watched this last night after a personal resurgent interest in Red Dwarf again. I'm no stranger to it having watched it since the second series many years ago.

I didn't mind BtE - and being a Blade Runner fan, it didn't bother me. I was aware however of some corny jokes and shenanigans as well as an overall darker theme that didn't entirely suit.

I watched a Vimeo version which was at 580p, so I won't be commenting on the audio and video quality.

So here are some thoughts - just my thoughts, don't take them personally, it's just my opinion.

Overall, this a quite a competent cut with some relatively minor technical issues. 

I liked the insertion of the later series Red Dwarf. I didn't notice the replacement of these scenes at all. The ship looks good. Not so sure about the 'Back to Earth' title though.

The thing that pulled me out several times was the quick fade to black scenes. They seem a little quick. I'm not sure what would work, but either slow them down or cross transition into the next scene? I found them not really jarring, but somewhat jarring. Other than these, there was one very quick cut at the end where it goes from Lister to Rimmer and quickly back. There was obviously something removed here and you needed to cut to Rimmer, or was it you cut a Rimmer line?

The bell sequence at the start seems to end rather quickly. I do recall there was some shenanigans that went on too long and perhaps some corny jokes, but this is somewhat a common theme. I kinda felt that in 45 mins, I smirked once and didn't laugh at all. So has there been more trimming of jokes than necessary? just my opinion.

So overall, I think this feels better than the Editor's Cut by Father Merrin - but these fade outs and that quick cut need to be fixed somehow for it to feel seemless. I certainly don't miss the Coronation Street stuff or note it was missing.

Editing-wise:

Audio - no problems, 10/10
Video - 6/10 - fadeouts and the quick Rimmer cut at the end
Narrative - Good. Except I'm missing some jokes, so 9/10.

The quick fade outs were necesaary as there was no other way to get rid of the references (plus it's not like the director's cut fade outs were any slower). As for the quick cut, can you please use the specific minute and second (e.g. 40:40), as just saying 'the end' doesn't work for me.

Out of interest. Have you used Father Merrin's Editors Cut as the base of your edit?

I'm just rewatching that now and your fades are identical to his.

EDIT : I can't find that quick cut to Rimmer now. I've been backward and through it several times. Perhaps it was some weirdness in Vimeo.

white43 said:
Out of interest. Have you used Father Merrin's Editors Cut as the base of your edit?

EDIT : I can't find that quick cut to Rimmer now. I've been backward and through it several times. Perhaps it was some weirdness in Vimeo.

No, I didn't watch his edit until after I finished my edit.

wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:

How curious. You must have noticed the cuts and fadeouts in the same places?

Also you stated: "In preparation for my fanedit of Back to Earth, I watched this edit for comparison notes".

I took that to mean you watched it first.

I think I'll rewatch the full BtE to check to see if these cuts and edits exist there.

white43 said:
wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:

How curious. You must have noticed the cuts and fadeouts in the same places?

Also you stated: "In preparation for my fanedit of Back to Earth, I watched this edit for comparison notes".

I took that to mean you watched it first.

I think I'll rewatch the full BtE to check to see if these cuts and edits exist there.

I didn't notice, I made my cuts and fadeouts based on what annoyed me, what I thought was pointless and feedback from the community.

I meant that I watched it in preparation for my second version of the edit (thanks to my video converter betraying me).

Well, good luck. Will there be a DVD or Blu-Ray version?

white43 said:

Maybe. I just want this to be accepted for IFDB so I can delete it from my hard drive and move on to other fan-edits.

wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:

Maybe. I just want this to be accepted for IFDB so I can delete it from my hard drive and move on to other fan-edits.

You should always keep a back-up copy in case something happens to your Vimeo channel or something.

Zarius said:
wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:

You should always keep a back-up copy in case something happens to your Vimeo channel or something.

Don't worry, I already uploaded it to MEGA.

wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:
So overall, I think this feels better than the Editor's Cut by Father Merrin - but these fade outs and that quick cut need to be fixed somehow for it to feel seemless.

The quick fade outs were necesaary as there was no other way to get rid of the references (plus it's not like the director's cut fade outs were any slower).

It sounds like there is some work that needs to be done here. Your response seems to indicate that you don't see this as a problem or needing to be addressed, even though a community member who has gone through the review process thinks otherwise. If you were asked to revisit the quoted issues, would you be able and willing to do so?

DigModiFicaTion said:
wilhelm scream said:
white43 said:
So overall, I think this feels better than the Editor's Cut by Father Merrin - but these fade outs and that quick cut need to be fixed somehow for it to feel seemless.

The quick fade outs were necesaary as there was no other way to get rid of the references (plus it's not like the director's cut fade outs were any slower).

It sounds like there is some work that needs to be done here. Your response seems to indicate that you don't see this as a problem or needing to be addressed, even though a community member who has gone through the review process thinks otherwise. If you were asked to revisit the quoted issues, would you be able and willing to do so?

I have addressed them.

So you've changed it since you've submitted it and since white43 gave you feedback? Is the vimeo file reflective of the final state of the edit?

DigModiFicaTion said:
So you've changed it since you've submitted it and since white43 gave you feedback? Is the vimeo file reflective of the final state of the edit?

Yes

Back
Top Bottom