• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Red Dwarf: Back To Earth: No coronation street edition

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
Alright then, who here, who is a member of the academy, wants me to preview my fan-edit and accept it onto IFDB!

I've asked everybody yesterday if they wanted to watch it.

And did anybody say yes?

Nobody said anything yet.

Alright guys, I made the last few tweaks to my edit and here is the complete cut/change list:

Original run-time: 75 minutes

Fan-edit run-time: 47 minutes

-Changed some clips during the opening sequence and added some new text.

-Replaced all shots of Red Dwarf with those from series x becasue it looked better, and to preserve continuity.

-Remove Lister annoying Rimmer, so that the edit opens on the superior garden of remembrance scene.

-Replaced shot of Lister walking to the gravestone with a modified shot of Red Dwarf from Series X to remove the "3 million years later" text.

-Trimmed scene of Cat telling everyone about the squid for pacing.

-Heavily trimmed scene of Squid attack to remove some very average CGI and to make Rimmer not out of character. 

-Combined 2 scenes of Rimmer and Katerina Bartikovsky to remove scene that references a scene I cut out and to remove Rimmer to find some dirt on Katerina.

-Trimmed pre-portal opening to remove Kryten reporting to Rimmer and combined 2 shots so that Kryten walks into frame (not perfect I know, but until I get Adywan skills, it will do).

-Removed the jump cut in portal scene by slowing down the footage.

-Removed pointless elevator scene.

-Had DVD scene fade out faster to remove 3-part reference and added classic Red Dwarf transition music to help cover transition. 

-Removed pointless bed scene and fade in on the Dwarfers getting money.

-Heavily trimmed shop scene for pacing.

-Had bus scene fade out before the kids who can't act arrive.

-Trimmed scene with Swallow so that he now knows where the creator is.

-Removed the entire Coronation Street becasue I hate Coronation Street. So Carbug driving fades out and fades in on it approaching the creator's Blade Runner place.

-Various trims during scene with the Creator for pacing.

-Trimmed Kochanski scene at the end for pacing.

-2 versions of the closing theme to cover the credits from the director's cut, which I couldn't use becasue of DVD ripping issues.

PM if you want to watch the edit, now if you will excuse me, I have got other edits to be working on, exclusively on my blog for a bit until this edit is watched by a member of the academy and approved to go on IFDB.

I am having a hard time accessing this edit because of it's file size. Again, you really need to shrink the file down and make it easier.

Zarius said:
I am having a hard time accessing this edit because of it's file size. Again, you really need to shrink the file down and make it easier.

Well,I already shrunk the file once, but I will try again to see if I can make it smaller.

Why don't up upload it to Vimeo instead? It shrinks down file sizes with the conversion process I beleive.

Zarius said:
Why don't up upload it to Vimeo instead? It shrinks down file sizes with the conversion process I beleive.

Because I am not paying for something that should be free. I will try Dailymotion instead, but no guaranties.

wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:

Because I am not paying for something that should be free.

So, a company should provide a hosting service for free? Cool. BRB, going to explain that to the restaurant down the street.

ThrowgnCpr said:
wilhelm scream said:
Zarius said:

Because I am not paying for something that should be free.

So, a company should provide a hosting service for free? Cool. BRB, going to explain that to the restaurant down the street.

That's not what I meant. I meant that it's too expensive for me to afford, I just worded wrongly.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Worked out how to get this. Will post my thoughts as soon as possible.

Finally managed to download it.

Quality wise, it's better than the X-Men cut I downloaded last, and I like the font used for the titles..more in line with the kind used for the show, and I've never been one for the cast being credited in the titles. Any modern era Dwarf edit should'nt include those.

That said, there's still some parts of the video that looked a bit iffy, is it interlocking or something?

The fade-outs weren't jarring or anything (except maybe the carbug to London transistion), but I wish there had been a better way to transistion in some scenes. The only scene I felt it was neccersary was with Lister on the bus.

Also, if meeting the castmembers wasnt going to be a big deal, why include the bit where Lister makes reference to it? I think that's an easy bit to omit.

Zarius said:
Finally managed to download it.

Quality wise, it's better than the X-Men cut I downloaded last, and I like the font used for the titles..more in line with the kind used for the show, and I've never been one for the cast being credited in the titles. Any modern era Dwarf edit should'nt include those.

That said, there's still some parts of the video that looked a bit iffy, is it interlocking or something?

The fade-outs weren't jarring or anything (except maybe the carbug to London transistion), but I wish there had been a better way to transistion in some scenes. The only scene I felt it was neccersary was with Lister on the bus.

Also, if meeting the castmembers wasnt going to be a big deal, why include the bit where Lister makes reference to it? I think that's an easy bit to omit.

Well I have to redo the edit anyway becasue I forgot to set the video quality on Sony Vegas to the highest quality. Good points, I will take those into consideration when I redo the edit. I don't know why there are fade to blacks in Back to Earth (both versions).

Since it was the 30th anniversary of Red Dwarf a few days ago, I decided to celebrate by re-doing this edit. I have currently finished the second half (It was easier for me to work backwards, so I knew what I could and could not cut.

Alright, I finished all the cutting and trimming, all I have to do now is to fix the bad effects.

Alright, I fixed the bad effects. I just need to upload it to MEGA.

Alright, I have uploaded it to MEGA (it's in the RAR file format). If you want to watch it, PM me. If one of the admins is reading this, please message me so that I can send you the links, so you can watch it and approve it for IFDB.

This is in Workprints and Previews.  If you want to submit it for approval I can move the thread to ITW, but you need to follow the submission process.  We aren't going to message you for the links.

TVs Frink said:
This is in Workprints and Previews.  If you want to submit it for approval I can move the thread to ITW, but you need to follow the submission process.  We aren't going to message you for the links.

Yes, please move it to the ITW thread.

Ok which of your other two ITW threads do you want moved to Inactive?

Back
Top Bottom